New UHD TV has a white spot in the middle

Kenny202

Bought a new Samsung UHD TV yesterday. Everything fine but when the screen is turned on and a completely black background, there is like a very faint white cloud about 150cm in the middle of the screen. Very very feint, hardly noticeable....and like I said only barely noticeable when the screen is completely black. Just wondering if it is something about new TV screen burning in or something that may get worse. The obvious reply would be take it back but a lot of hassle if it is for nothing. Hoping for a reply someone knows if it is an issue or not 

This is a common issue basically with most low to mid range tv sets similar to this issue below. Call it ghosting, light bleeding and used to be common with edge lit screens but now is common even with back lit screens. (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/isn-t-this-abnormal/td-p/578946)

My TV in australia has it, and more recently I bought an 85 and 75 inch Samsung tv in pattaya from home pro. took them home, set them up and bam all these white patches only when watching in pure dark and only for movies with 16:9 (not full screen movies).

i complained, got samsung to my condo with a new 85 and 75 inch tv (This was a huge mission with the 85 inch tv fyi) plugged them in and had the same issues show up on the new tvs.

I ended up getting agreement to refund / exchange the tvs and accepted this is common on all cheaper tvs. In the end i did the following

1) In bedroom i swapped the 75 samsung for a top of the line 65" sony for the same price (ie i didnt want to spend another 20k to get the 75 sony). This basically fixed the issue 99.9% and now i can watch movies in my room without this annoying ghosting

2) The 85 i didnt bother taking the new one and didnt want to replace it so i just left it as is. The ghosting is still there but it has reduced.

I suggest you get the shop you bought it from to raise the case with samsung, samsung will come and verify the issue (it will be in the day so make sure all light sources are gone) and then they will authorise the shop to bring you a new tv. Then you can test the new tv and most probably itll have the same issue.

You can either put up with it, refund or get a better model. BTW what model did you get? My samsungs were the q65 model and you will need to spend significantly more to rid of the issue.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1233873

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lextsy said:

This is a common issue basically with most low to mid range tv sets similar to this issue below. Call it ghosting, light bleeding and used to be common with edge lit screens but now is common even with back lit screens. (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/isn-t-this-abnormal/td-p/578946)

My TV in australia has it, and more recently I bought an 85 and 75 inch Samsung tv in pattaya from home pro. took them home, set them up and bam all these white patches only when watching in pure dark and only for movies with 16:9 (not full screen movies).

i complained, got samsung to my condo with a new 85 and 75 inch tv (This was a huge mission with the 85 inch tv fyi) plugged them in and had the same issues show up on the new tvs.

I ended up getting agreement to refund / exchange the tvs and accepted this is common on all cheaper tvs. In the end i did the following

1) In bedroom i swapped the 75 samsung for a top of the line 65" sony for the same price (ie i didnt want to spend another 20k to get the 75 sony). This basically fixed the issue 99.9% and now i can watch movies in my room without this annoying ghosting

2) The 85 i didnt bother taking the new one and didnt want to replace it so i just left it as is. The ghosting is still there but it has reduced.

I suggest you get the shop you bought it from to raise the case with samsung, samsung will come and verify the issue (it will be in the day so make sure all light sources are gone) and then they will authorise the shop to bring you a new tv. Then you can test the new tv and most probably itll have the same issue.

You can either put up with it, refund or get a better model. BTW what model did you get? My samsungs were the q65 model and you will need to spend significantly more to rid of the issue.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1233873

Yeah sounds like exactly what you said and after googling it seems like it is normal. Even some of the manufacturers websites says its normal. The issue is that negligible not really even worth worrying about, was my eagle eyed (always doing an environment assessment) Mrs that first noticed it. Only happens when the screen is completely turned on but black background which is hardly ever and even then hardly noticeable.

The TV is a cheaper one, Samsung 50" 10k THB from Lotus Model number UA50AU7002KXXT. With two small boys running around throwing stuff around the loungeroom wasn't prepared to invest more than that lol. Was just worried it may be something that will get worse over time...usually a month out of warranty! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah sounds like exactly what you said and after googling it seems like it is normal. Even some of the manufacturers websites says its normal. The issue is that negligible not really even worth worrying about, was my eagle eyed (always doing an environment assessment) Mrs that first noticed it. Only happens when the screen is completely turned on but black background which is hardly ever and even then hardly noticeable.

The TV is a cheaper one, Samsung 50" 10k THB from Lotus Model number UA50AU7002KXXT. With two small boys running around throwing stuff around the loungeroom wasn't prepared to invest more than that lol. Was just worried it may be something that will get worse over time...usually a month out of warranty! 

From my experience, it gets better or maybe my eyes are just ignoring it now. You can try to replace it but you will find its hard to replicate the conditions to check and then it could be the same or worse. good luck

15 minutes ago, lextsy said:

From my experience, it gets better or maybe my eyes are just ignoring it now. You can try to replace it but you will find its hard to replicate the conditions to check and then it could be the same or worse. good luck

Thanks for your help bro. My eyes were ignoring it until she mentioned it lol. Really isn't a big issue and doesn't detract from viewing. Only reason we noticed it was when the movie first started and the screen was completely black before opening credits. and even then the tiniest cloudiness right in the middle of the screen. I will live with it and see if it gets worse over the coming months

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for your help bro. My eyes were ignoring it until she mentioned it lol. Really isn't a big issue and doesn't detract from viewing. Only reason we noticed it was when the movie first started and the screen was completely black before opening credits. and even then the tiniest cloudiness right in the middle of the screen. I will live with it and see if it gets worse over the coming months

Now we identify the root cause of the issue.. You listened to her.. lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lextsy said:

Now we identify the root cause of the issue.. You listened to her.. lol

Awww man, typical women....always doing an environmental assessment, looking for problems, clues or evidence (particularly if she has been away overnight lol). But generally looking for issues I can fix for her, or usually 3 at once

• Haha 2

On 7/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, MJCM said:

Call samsung and as its brandy new they will advise you.

they came to our house after our TV stopped working and replaced the board for free. 

link: https://www.samsung.com/th/foreigner/

Samsung is very good with there warranty.  They've always sent someone out to fix any appliances I've had a problem with. 

Saw lextsy's link, though many issues weer from 2018, but if you have such a tv?

Would send it right back, it is not normal. Samsung is making those tv's for long time now, so this is a crying shame. 

On 7/17/2023 at 6:14 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Saw lextsy's link, though many issues weer from 2018, but if you have such a tv?

Would send it right back, it is not normal. Samsung is making those tv's for long time now, so this is a crying shame. 

You cannot see this clouding 99.9% of the time. Its safe to say while PQ has improved they have cheapened out in other areas for low - mid range TVs.

They were offering me a refund, but its so tiring and cumbersome to re-diagnose the issue that I decided to keep my 85" regardless.

Switching to any brands top model fixes these issues and im hoping with miniLED this will be resolved.

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You get what you pay for... you want champagne on a beer budget

lol classic, couldn't help yourself with your 2bit barstool therapy. Any other rippers you have in the spank bank?

You pay peanuts and you get monkeys?

You want a ferrari on a morris minor budget?

You want aircon on 50b beer budget?

18 hours ago, lextsy said:

lol classic, couldn't help yourself with your 2bit barstool therapy. Any other rippers you have in the spank bank?

You pay peanuts and you get monkeys?

You want a ferrari on a morris minor budget?

You want aircon on 50b beer budget?

If you are cheap... you are cheap.

• Haha 1