Yet Again – Shopper’s Slipper Gets Stuck In Store Escalator

webfact

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And I have noticed that the Information Sign, asking parents to take care of their children on the steps, or not let lone children on, are quite often at the TOP of the stairs, not the bottom.

Nice point but in reality Tai folks and many farang never read signs.

Societies all over the world need to do a rethink of how to communiate with and successfully keep the populace well informed.

E.g. IMHO all social media should have a license to operate but they have to (by law) give back to society in terms of being a broad communications tool and cannot be used as tools to promote rampant capitalism and cannot be used to broadcast fake news and unsubstantied claims of health improvements etc. 

4 hours ago, h90 said:

no these things must be absolute idiot proof,

The old adage???? 

"foolproof" is now a formal term, whereas "idiot-proof" remains informal. Several Murphy's law adages claim that idiot-proof systems cannot be made, for example "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool" and "If you make something idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot."

We used to take the wife's dog to K Village where there is an escalator. The dog is smart enough to step off the escalator at the top.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

If you had quoted me in context, instead of out of context, you wouldn't be asking!

What I wrote was:  " but like anything mechanical unless maintained correctly they can malfunction."

well,  we both agree that escalators need to be maintained and parents need to teach their kids it's not a playground and they have to exit correctly,  and the guy who didn't step off needs to buy a new sandal.  Lol

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The old adage???? 

We used to take the wife's dog to K Village where there is an escalator. The dog is smart enough to step off the escalator at the top.

yes but people don't like it if it shaves of the toes from kids and grandmum.....and in other countries it is good enough.....

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

what is wrong with these people .... don't they know how to use an escalator, travelator or elevator.

are they so damn dumb they don't know to step of the escalator when it reaches the top.

Of coarse the rubber sandal will jam in the slots if it's a soft type of rubber footwear.

how hard is it to watch your step and exit before the last stair disappears ? 

same as driving a pick up here ..   pre-occupy yourself with staring at a phone with no clue as to your surroundings

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

nonsense ....  the steps are combed steel,  and when it reaches the last top pieces it slides into the alternative matching comb and clears every track.   These people are not stepping so the comb would have gripped the rubber thong forcing it into the comb.

the steps are Aluminum I think.

the alternative matching comb has the sole purpose that nothing can enter. It forces things away/on top of the comb

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

well,  we both agree that escalators need to be maintained and parents need to teach their kids it's not a playground and they have to exit correctly,  and the guy who didn't step off needs to buy a new sandal.  Lol

no you can have unexpected things a toddler on it.....it is not acceptable that the escalator sometimes eat people that act dumb....It should lift you up one floor....it is not a natural selection tool that weed out the old, young, stupid and disabled.

And that technology exists.

Imagine what lawsuits would be in USA if the escalators sometimes eat people....

As somebody wrote earlier these things should be Idiot proof, Child proof, Disabled People proof etc.  A slight distraction at the end of an Escalator or Moving Walkway shouldn't cause you to loose your leg or your slipper.

23 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Slipper???

Slippers are a type of shoes falling under the broader category of light footwear, that are easy to put on and off and are intended to be worn indoors, particularly at home. They provide comfort and protection for the feet when walking indoors. (Wikipedia)

Perhaps they mean slip-on shoe.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've often seen Thais hesitate before stepping onto an escalator. I guess that knowing what to do when they arrive at the other end can be a bit challenging too. They sometimes also have no concept at all that you do not stop after you've got off, blocking the people behind you from doing so.

Similarly, I remember reading on this site of a farang living his girlfriend in an apartment block, and her mother came to visit. At one stage they decided to have something to eat and the mother said she'd go fetch. A long period passed and she didn't return so her daughter decided to go and look for her, and there she was standing by the lift, waiting for it to stop at her floor. She had no idea that she had to push the button.

You could also have a bad knee and be bad at walking....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roger101 said:

As somebody wrote earlier these things should be Idiot proof, Child proof, Disabled People proof etc.  A slight distraction at the end of an Escalator or Moving Walkway shouldn't cause you to loose your leg or your slipper.

Imagine you have a small child that can escalator perfect, but just short of the end his/her toy is falling and she puts the finger down.....it can't just tear of a finger of the kid, even if it did wrong...

And at the end of the escalator everything is full with blood and some lost finger and toes are waiting to be cleaned off....

A technology like that could not be installed....

Off topic: I wonder what happens if the electric in Bangkok fails with the elevators and the people inside.....Must be thousands of elevators all at the same time. Who is rescuing them?

2 hours ago, h90 said:

yes but people don't like it if it shaves of the toes from kids and grandmum.....and in other countries it is good enough.....

If humans can learn to ride a bicycle, they can learn to use an escalator.???? 

47 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If humans can learn to ride a bicycle, they can learn to use an escalator.???? 

actually very small children, very old humans and disabled people can not learn to ride a bicycle.....but they can still walk, at least till an airport escalator bites of their legs

I guess small accidents like this happen all the time. A friend of mine lost his toe when he was a kid. He was pushing his rubber shoe forward towards next step when going up to the top of the escalator.

If it wasn't for the girl that lost her leg I believe this would never have reached the news.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Off topic: I wonder what happens if the electric in Bangkok fails with the elevators and the people inside.....Must be thousands of elevators all at the same time. Who is rescuing them?

Elevators usually has a backup source of electricity. Should never stop in-between two stories if there is a power out.

18 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Elevators usually has a backup source of electricity. Should never stop in-between two stories if there is a power out.

Really?? before last winter I saw a TV discussion in Germany about power outage, and the group panic claimed that when there is no electric there are that much elevators and only so few fire fighters (who rescue) that many people would die in the elevators. I than wondered if there aren't normal staff who can lower the elevator....if there is not something that allows manually lowering it 1 floor.

Don't know how long the air lasts in the elevator if there are several people in it.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:40 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What is it with Thai businesses and victim blaming?

From the OP news report:

"The store’s management said in a statement the shopper’s slipper got caught in the escalator because he did not get off the final step on time."

Have you considered that the translation from Thai language to English did not fully capture the context of the store's management? What is it will translator blaming?

Edited by LS24