Cleaning up my front yard

I used some Thai ones when we had the farm, can buy from any of those rural supply shops. So can't help u with a name....but be warned they are strong. I wouldn't use them with anything less than coveralls, long rubber boots, goggles, proper 3 filter mask and gloves. I was careless the first time and had rashes all over my arms and legs for weeks and breathing issues. Very strong stuff here. Make sure you do it early morning when no breeze

7 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Careful as lot of mom and pop stores still sell paraquat which is some nasty stuff that you don't want to be near.  Roundup doesn't have greatest rep either as evidenced by some big law suit settlements.

Everything that works is not good for people or the soil, but still thats the easiest way. I have people to clean, so we do not use any agents on our land. At once the job is done, easy to maintain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, what do you intend replacing your grass and plants with?

The way forwards would determine exactly what you need to do in preparation.

Planting trees keeps the weeds away ????

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:22 PM, Kenny202 said:

I used some Thai ones when we had the farm, can buy from any of those rural supply shops. So can't help u with a name....but be warned they are strong. I wouldn't use them with anything less than coveralls, long rubber boots, goggles, proper 3 filter mask and gloves. I was careless the first time and had rashes all over my arms and legs for weeks and breathing issues. Very strong stuff here. Make sure you do it early morning when no breeze

And if you have kids be extra careful.

On 7/17/2023 at 10:20 PM, Confuscious said:

I want to cleanup my front yard, 
Does anybody knows of a good and efficient weed killer?
TIA

Yes her name is Palleja or Mia whatever you prefer in your family..

Edited by glegolo18
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

It's just a small yard.

About 5 meters by 7 meters.

The trees have already been removed by the tetsabaan.

As proposed by a member, I have covered the front garden with a black plastic.

Will see in a week if that's helps 

It will definitely work,but it will take longer than a week. I think you will need at least  three weeks.  I have done the same in a patch I wanted to garden in , in the past , but it took more than a week. What are you going to do there? Are you going  to cement the area?  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:49 PM, Hummin said:

The most common one is roundup, and available all over thailand in every farmer and garden store. 

May 23, 2023Roundup Cancer Lawsuits Monsanto has settled over 100,000 Roundup lawsuits, paying out about $11 billion as of May 2022. There are still 30,000 lawsuits pending
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:
May 23, 2023Roundup Cancer Lawsuits Monsanto has settled over 100,000 Roundup lawsuits, paying out about $11 billion as of May 2022. There are still 30,000 lawsuits pending

Well, roundup is still for sale most countries, and he asked for something that worked, and roundup is not the worst in Thailand. I also mentionend in another post we do not use any chems our self. 

Eu still allow it, but in my opinion, should have been out of Eu long time ago. 

Another thing, cover it with plastic is just a temporary solution as well, same as spraying chems. 

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It will definitely work,but it will take longer than a week. I think you will need at least  three weeks.  I have done the same in a patch I wanted to garden in , in the past , but it took more than a week. What are you going to do there? Are you going  to cement the area?  

Put steel mats, cement and gravel to use as a car park 

Edited by Confuscious
Adding
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, Confuscious said:

I want to cleanup my front yard, get rid of all the grass and other plants that are growing there.
I would like to do this with spraying a weed killer.
Does anybody knows of a good and efficient weed killer?
TIA

Maybe Britman2 can help judging by some of his earlier photos? (555)????????

On 7/18/2023 at 1:15 AM, pomchop said:

Careful as lot of mom and pop stores still sell paraquat which is some nasty stuff that you don't want to be near. 

Have used it for decades and I'm still alive, though I prefer glyphosate (roundup), since it kills the roots

As posted before;

Vinegar will kill everything - spraying with a spray bottle to near run-off will do the trick. 

Salty hot water in watering can will also kill most plants, the salt will leech out of the soil pretty quickly.

Roundup mixed at the correct dose and used once will offer minimal impact to the soil flora and won't harm most insects dogs or cats.

The issues with Roundup, or any other herbicides is that folks think making the mix stronger than recommended will work better - it doesn't but it does cause risk to animals as on poster remarked about their dog nearly dying. Sadly Thai's seem to do this a lot.

With all herbicides it helps to add an extra surfactant (all herbicides carry such an element in their composition but added detergent really makes the application effective) ...  add a squirt of dishwashing liquid to your mix help the herbicide stick to the leaves which aids absorption. 

Prolonged use of Roundup (active ingredient glysophate) will kill the soil flora and render the soil barren.

It will also, with prolonged use reside in the soil be absorbed by plants, which is nasty if eaten by animals or humans. It will decimate bee and butterflies populations etc if used regularly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Were they Vietcong?

Your attempt at humour not so good.

The reality is that the US army sprayed it to do severe dameage to the communist forces but it severly affected every person who came in contact with it:

- Vietcong

- Nth Vietnam army

- Nth VN civilians

- US and other forces who saw combat later in the same areas.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1