For all you guys in the know just a simple question. My Thai wife and myself have not lived in Thailand for many years just come for holidays now and then. So, she wants to put my name onto the yellow book, she tells me if I get sick, I will be treated in a Thai public hospital like a Thai. Is that true or is she just talking nonsense. I must add I am a pensioner I don't pay anything at all where I live, doctors' consultation is free as well and cheap medication. I just came back from a holiday staying in my old house (the in-laws and everybody else lives there now) and that place is a dump, dirtier than a tip in India so what is the point of going back? Also, don't I get a visit from the immigration ones in a while and need to be at that address? Please no trolls just real advice.

16 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Also, don't I get a visit from the immigration ones in a while and need to be at that address? Please no trolls just real advice.

Such a naive post you will receive much criticism.

For starters to live ongoing in Thailand even married to Thai national you will require annual extensions.

That also has financial requirements.

Also in many immigration offices home visit at time of extension.

Just imo you are not suited to village life given such ridiculous comparison to India.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Such a naive post you will receive much criticism.

For starters to live ongoing in Thailand even married to Thai national you will require annual extensions.

That also has financial requirements

Just imo you are not suited to village life given such ridiculous comparison to India.

Here we go the first nonsense post, just tell me about the yellow book as I ask 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Here we go the first nonsense post, just tell me about the yellow book as I ask 

You also asked this strange question...

"Also, don't I get a visit from the immigration ones in a while and need to be at that address? Please no trolls just real advice." 

Is that serious.

If you live in Thailand ongoing on non O based on marriage you will need to apply every year for a 12 month  extension and yes that often requires a home visit.

Also neighbors to verify.

Seriously have you lived in Thailand previously.

My guess ..Not

• Thumbs Up 2

A yellow book can, in some cases, be used to evidence your address with government entities, including government hospitals, but does not convey any significant rights or privileges.

While you may be able to register for treatment at a government hospital using the yellow house book, you won't be treated for free like a Thai would.

3 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

A yellow book can, in some cases, be used to evidence your address with government entities, including government hospitals, but does not convey any significant rights or privileges.

While you may be able to register for treatment at a government hospital using the yellow house book, you won't be treated for free like a Thai would.

Thanks that is what i like to know 

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

Is that true or is she just talking nonsense.

Strictly, your wife is incorrect. You need to pay Social Fund contributions to receive medical benefits at hospital. Social Fund contributions are normally  paid by those who work for an employer and have a work permit.

That being said maybe your local hospital is an outlier, and they offer the same benefits.

Either way your wife is thinking of you and has your best interests at heart, so I would be tempted to give it a try.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You also asked this strange question...

"Also, don't I get a visit from the immigration ones in a while and need to be at that address? Please no trolls just real advice." 

Is that serious.

If you live in Thailand ongoing on non O based on marriage you will need to apply every year for a 12 month  extension and yes that often requires a home visit.

Also neighbors to verify.

Seriously have you lived in Thailand previously.

My guess ..Not

Yes I lived in Thailand for a number of years never had a yellow book that's the reason I ask

23 hours ago, still kicking said:

...My Thai wife and myself have not lived in Thailand for many years just come for holidays now and then. So, she wants to put my name onto the yellow book...

The first thing you need to do is organise a place where you will live with your wife.

Next, you get a non-O visa and a one-year extension from the local immigration office for the reason of living with your wife at that address.

Next, you drop by the local district office and inquire about their procedure for getting the yellow household registration book for your address. Not all district offices handle it the same way. Take your wife along to help with translation.

The hospital treatment your wife is referring too stopped a few years ago, or so I was told. However I know one guy who recently got a YB and got free treatment at a clinic out in the sticks. Maybe they didn't know the law changed. 

• Like 1