Unethical Business Practice.

Dazinoz

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you lost me. how do you get 121 massages?

180 x 3 = 540

so it's roughly the amount the shop would receive if she did 3 massages per day

Oops. An error. Error corrected.

And she only gets 120 baht per massage, Shop gets 180. So she would need to get 21 massages to pay the 2500 she had to pay owner which would only be 4 per day but many days she gets none.

Edited by Dazinoz

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Seems might be better to take no for an answer and move on.  Foreign input is not likely to be appreciated no matter how good your intentions.  

Sad to say you are probably right but I feel strongly about this happening to a friend. To make it worse the greedy owner has a very rich farang boyfriend.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Did she want to go home by herself, of her own accord?

Or was she inviting you to take her to her home town? There's a big difference. 

Yes I know a big difference and that is why this is a sore point with me. She wanted to go herself I did not invite her.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Even the relative rate the shop pays itself and her is way too much. My massage lady who runs a shop in Chiang Rai has 3 or 4 women working for her. Thai massage ( no oil ) is 150 baht. The women get 100 baht, she takes 50. They don't have to wait in the shop, she calls them if there is an influx of customers.

The owner is no friend of the family, and is extracting the urine.

IMO it is casual work, and no government agency would be interested. Perhaps if you presented her with data from other shops which demonstrates she is being exploited, although she may also regard that as loss of face.

Shop is in Loi Kroh road so charges standard rate for the area. As far as girls not at shop owner told me before If I took girl to dinner I had to "bar (massage) fine" her because she is not physically at the shop. Often 3 girls sit all day and my friend often says no customers today.

And you are right about no friend but my lady friend does not see that.

Like I said I probably wont have any success but I feel too strongly about this to just let it go.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Here is the part that gets me. Last week she went home for 5 days. She had to pay shop 500baht/day (2500baht).

Here is the part that gets me...presumably she was aware of that condition when she accepted the job, a condition that ensures that she isn't replaced by a new masseuse in her absence and her job is safe even though the owner may not have enough staff to cover in those five days? 

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Here is the part that gets me...presumably she was aware of that condition when she accepted the job, a condition that ensures that she isn't replaced by a new masseuse in her absence and her job is safe even though the owner may not have enough staff to cover in those five days? 

So if she knew it makes it ok for owner to rip her off? Girls come and go not a problem to have enough staff. Actually she has 3 shops so just moved girls between them. 

Actually thinking about it owner changed rules many time. When I first started taking lady out to dinner I was told 500 baht. Then It was free for 1 hour and 500 for longer. Than changed to free 1 hour, 300 up to 2 hours then 500 longer. Then changed to 300 for up to 1.5 hours and 500 longer. So no set rules and I am almost 100% positive she would have been told the conditions because owner keeps changing to suit condition.

A bar I sometimes goto bar fine is 500. Girls get 300 and bar 200. The massage owner gets ALL the fine.

Edited by Dazinoz
Text added.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is very wrong. Thai labour offices take these sort of things very seriosusly and will take up her case if it's justified.
All she has to do is take her complaint to the local Labour office and put in a complaint. She WILL be heard and if they are breaking the law, she will get compensation and the owners will be fined and/or worse. However I think your biggest issue will be if she is willing to go and complain since it's a 'friend of the family'. If she does she will get a fair hearing and by the sounds of it, will win but it's getting her to do it in the first place. In the meantime, I found the following information for you:-

Location Chiang Mai Provincial Labor Office , Administration Building, 1st floor, Chiang Mai City Hall, Chotana Road, Chang Phueak Subdistrict, Mueang District, Chiang Mai 50300.

Telephone 0 5311 2621-2.

Email chiangmai @mol.mail.go.th.

Thanks for the info but I know she won’t do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Thats Thailand. Nobody likes confrontation. You lost a friend. Lesson there. Don't do it again.

Yep, annoying part about that is I gave her a considerable sum of money to go home but now she supporting owner. As you say. TiT.

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Yep, annoying part about that is I gave her a considerable sum of money to go home but now she supporting owner. As you say. TiT.

Another thing dont lend money. Was she your girlfriend?

Edited by bignok

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is very wrong. Thai labour offices take these sort of things very seriosusly and will take up her case if it's justified.
All she has to do is take her complaint to the local Labour office and put in a complaint. She WILL be heard and if they are breaking the law, she will get compensation and the owners will be fined and/or worse. However I think your biggest issue will be if she is willing to go and complain since it's a 'friend of the family'. If she does she will get a fair hearing and by the sounds of it, will win but it's getting her to do it in the first place. In the meantime, I found the following information for you:-

Location Chiang Mai Provincial Labor Office , Administration Building, 1st floor, Chiang Mai City Hall, Chotana Road, Chang Phueak Subdistrict, Mueang District, Chiang Mai 50300.

Telephone 0 5311 2621-2.

Email chiangmai @mol.mail.go.th.

You are right what you say yet dont forget if you use the law you will be blacklisted and find trouble getting employment .

That happens in the west too .

• Thanks 1