Unethical Business Practice.

Dazinoz

55 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And if all 3 masseuses go 'home' at the same time? The owner is forced to close her shop even if rent is due in a few days? 

Presumably a bit of discussion goes on so there's cover. Most shops have too many ladies so they probably like it when 1 or more are away 

This is typical “triangulation” stuff I see so often in Thailand.

You need to decide if it’s your problem or not right from the beginning. The problem you may get involved with is not limited to that one person. It’s intertwined with other people or even businesses stretching way out who will basically try to suck money from you.

Maybe a good solution is not to try and fix the massage shop problem, but open a new business and activity you can run together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most shops have too many ladies so they probably like it when 1 or more are away 

They are not on salary - 

It is pretty much true for any business anywhere... you have employees to fill a purpose, they rarely can just come and go as they please... 

massage shop ladies are generally self-employed. They take a percentage of the charges for the massage. 

some shops guarantee a minimum amount each day. some shops give free food / water / room for ladies.

Shops dont get any of the 'tip' that the massage lady recieves. 

48 minutes ago, pchappo said:

Shops dont get any of the 'tip' that the massage lady recieves. 

Actually they do. I have know 2 shops now to do this. Example oil massage costs 300. Shop gets 180 and girl 120. If girl gets extra from extra she keeps the extra but shop gets the full 300.

I have known 2 girls from 2 shops and they say this what happen.

Off subject but I know of a restaurant/bar who has a couple entertainers come most nights. Owner pays 400 baht (pretty lousy) but deducts tips, if any,  off  that. So if entertainers get 200 into tip box owner of establishment only pays 200. One of the entertainers told me this so I started giving tips to them secretly in hand and not in the tip box.

@dazinoz anecdotal evidence ...

ladies in massage shops would not accept the owner keeping their money - they would leave and it would be on the thai lady jungle drums - and then the owner would not be able to hire any new staff - as they would know of the bad practices of the owner. 

34 minutes ago, pchappo said:

@dazinoz anecdotal evidence ...

ladies in massage shops would not accept the owner keeping their money - they would leave and it would be on the thai lady jungle drums - and then the owner would not be able to hire any new staff - as they would know of the bad practices of the owner. 

Read my posts on this topic and you will see "my" lady and owner's families were neighbours and my lady is too loyal or scared to leave as to what would happen.

I don't know about the other girls as to why they stay. As someone pointed out is that owner knows me and, as nearly every thai I have met thinks, farang are rich so why not get what you can from them. And that is a  fact as told to me by another lady who used to work for her told me.

15 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

nearly every thai I have met thinks, farang are rich so why not get what you can from them. And that is a  fact as told to me by another lady who used to work for her told me.

Try meeting "ladies" outside massage parlors / girly bars / Go Go's.

You get a different view.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Try meeting "ladies" outside massage parlors / girly bars / Go Go's.

You get a different view.

You are correct but where? I am no Brad pit and a bit older to boot.

Mostly only go to ones  that you mention and Big C shopping. I get a few Thaifriendly likes but usually in another city or offering services same as bar or massage.

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

You are correct but where? I am no Brad pit and a bit older to boot.

Mostly only go to ones  that you mention and Big C shopping. I get a few Thaifriendly likes but usually in another city or offering services same as bar or massage.

Sport club

Cultural / music event

Work (volunteer)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dazinoz said:

Let me first acknowledge that this is Thailand and things are generally not the same but I feel strongly about this so seeking some help.

A lady friend of mine works in a massage shop. If she doesn't do a massage she gets no money. Fair enough. As an example if she does a 1 hour oil massage, customer pays 300 baht, she gets 120 and shop 180. Fair enough I guess. No customers no pay. As an example if she were to sit at the shop for more than 12 hours every day for 5 days and no customers she gets nothing. Here is the part that gets me. Last week she went home for 5 days. She had to pay shop 500baht/day (2500baht). Now at her rate that is 21 massages.  She definately would NOT get that many massages  in 5 days. Its a small shop very close to other bigger more popular shops.

I tried to tell her to leave shop and she said she dare not as owner a friend of the family and gave her job. I said she is not paying you but takes no notice. I had a falling out wit the boss over this and now my friend is no longer my friend.

Does anyone know where, if anywhere, I could report this practice? I am in Chiang Mai. I know probably a waste of time but if I don't try nothing will happen.

Let it go.

Your first mistake was to get involved into this thing. 

Second mistake was talking to her boss.

third mistake was you think the massage lady is/was your friend.

tbh i dont know how they work. For me no massage no money is wrong thing already. thats non-sense. if its like that then she could it at home or free working style. paying to the shop for your off day is another scam thing. 

I think no massage no payment thing may be true. I would try to find out if its true that she really pay to the shop when she leaves for the home. Thats the first time i heard of. 

Now i know you think shes your friend, nice talking, doing good massage, being kind to you... but this is a general tactic by all of them. The main idea is to find a husband or boyfriend to support them & family. The shop owner is my friend or family friend is another very common thing.

i dont want to be mean and not saying all of them but this sound like it was a trap for you.

i suggest change the massage shop, im pretty sure you will meet with almost similar story ????

2 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i dont want to be mean and not saying all of them but this sound like it was a trap for you.

Looking back on things that have happened I am almost certain you are right. I have moved on from that shop to the point I don't even use parking lot behind shop to goto my local restaurant/bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 8:04 AM, Dazinoz said:

I had a falling out wit the boss over this and now my friend is no longer my friend.

This is Thailand.  Think about what your friend wants, not what you want.  She obviously sees the consequences of rocking the boat as being far worse than what is happening in the shop.

You are probably harming her more than you are helping her.  Things in Thailand just don't work the same way as they do in our home countries.

• Thumbs Up 1