Unethical Business Practice.

Dazinoz

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Here is the part that gets me...presumably she was aware of that condition when she accepted the job, a condition that ensures that she isn't replaced by a new masseuse in her absence and her job is safe even though the owner may not have enough staff to cover in those five days? 

Expand  

So if she knew it makes it ok for owner to rip her off?

If she knew and accepted it, she wasn't being "ripped off"!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If she knew and accepted it, she wasn't being "ripped off"!

Wow you have a weird sense of what is right and wrong. And totally miss the point. 

• Like 1

While massage fee splits may vary a little it does seem to be common practice in larger massage shops in Pattaya to charge 500 baht/day when staff take a day off.  I expect not having a penalty for not coming to work would lead to a disruptive work environment where people just work when they did not have something else more enjoyable to do.  Staff tend to get one day off each ten days so three days a month.  There tends to be exceptions for serious family issues when you have to travel away for a bit longer.   

• Thumbs Up 1

They probably don’t like a foreigner interfering in their job practices. 
And as for filing a complaint.  I doubt a government agency would care that much about a massage shop.  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Lived here 10 years. I know I should know better but sometimes something bugs me so much.

Sure but if you/I really think about it there's things in our home countries too that are less than fair/ethical. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

She gets 1 day a month.

There are people in this world for whom more is never enough.

If your former friend does not want to do anything about her exploitation, neither can you. Find another massage shop with more acceptable labor practices.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are people in this world for whom more is never enough.

Referring to what?

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Find another massage shop with more acceptable labor practices.

Oh I wont be going anywhere near that shop.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Money.

Oh, you are so right. As mentioned the owner has a very rich farang boyfriend who pays her a monthly salary and gave her a car and who knows what else and still treats her slaves like this. Actually she had 2 farang boyfriend at one stage. One bought her one shop and the other another. I think if she was an average That battler I probably would not have gotten such a bee in my bonnet. There is more to the story about owner which I wont go into.

Not working because no customers is different than not working because absent. It is a guaranteed loss of potential income for the business. No customers is a risk the business takes, the risk of loss due to absent staff can be negated by the business. 

If that’s what her contract says, and she agreed to it, then that’s that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Oh, you are so right. As mentioned the owner has a very rich farang boyfriend who pays her a monthly salary and gave her a car and who knows what else and still treats her slaves like this. Actually she had 2 farang boyfriend at one stage. One bought her one shop and the other another. I think if she was an average That battler I probably would not have gotten such a bee in my bonnet. There is more to the story about owner which I wont go into.

No money in massage. Money is in extras. A good looking woman can make 5000 baht a day.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CecilM said:

If that’s what her contract says, and she agreed to it, then that’s that.

LOL. It’s a massage shop in Thailand. Do you really think there would be a contract?

When I first started dating this girl I asked owner the rules. Given a set but keeps changing. Keeps breaking her own “contract”. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

LOL. It’s a massage shop in Thailand. Do you really think there would be a contract?

When I first started dating this girl I asked owner the rules. Given a set but keeps changing. Keeps breaking her own “contract”. 

Its her shop. If women dont like it go elsewhere to work. 1000 massage shops in Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Its her shop. If women dont like it go elsewhere to work. 1000 massage shops in Chiang Mai.

And my ex wont because owner is a friend of the family and gave her such a great job.

It's ok I am forgetting about it. Thanks for your input.

7 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

And my ex wont because owner is a friend of the family and gave her such a great job.

It's ok I am forgetting about it. Thanks for your input.

Life isnt fair. As soon as I accepted that life got better. No use spitting into the wind. One door closes another opens.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

So the owner can do whatever he/she wants; and the employee is free to leave any time. Don’t like it, leave. 

1 minute ago, CecilM said:

So the owner can do whatever he/she wants; and the employee is free to leave any time. Don’t like it, leave. 

Wondering when the weak “don’t like it leave” comment would come. Thanks for not disappointing me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Wondering when the weak “don’t like it leave” comment would come. Thanks for not disappointing me. 

You are viewing Thailand through western eyes. Will only give you a headache. Mai pen rai is a common saying because if you take things seriously in Thailand you will do your head in.

Just now, bignok said:

You are viewing Thailand through western eyes. Will only give you a headache. Mai pen rai is a common saying because if you take things seriously in Thailand you will do your head in.

Sure has done my head in. 

Sir Galahad (or white knight) syndrome.

Whilst women tend to talk about their problems, men tend to find solutions.

Knights tend to charge into the fray, fight injustice, and right the wrongs.

Me things she felt comfortable enough with you to vent her problem and only wanted sympathetic ears.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:41 AM, ezzra said:

In theory , Thailand has very strong and stringent labour laws, in practical, it's the law of the jungle out there with employers pretty much dictating their own rules.

It's not in theory. It works fine if you can afford a lawyer. They submit quickly.