South Pattaya Residents Fed Up with Restaurants Allegedly Throwing Trash in Canal

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — Residents in South Pattaya are frustrated with canal-side restaurants for allegedly disposing of wastewater and trash in the canal water.

Mr. Methakrit Soonthorns, a member of Pattaya City Council District 4, visited the South Pattaya Canal this morning, July 18th, 2023, following complaints from citizens that some restaurant operators were secretly dumping trash and wastewater into the canal, causing environmental and olfactory pollution.

Methakrit said numerous restaurants along the canal had encroached upon the public area of the canal. This practice along with the discharging of wastewater and trash resulted in great damage to the natural water source.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/18/south-pattaya-residents-fed-up-with-restaurants-allegedly-throwing-trash-in-canal/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Used cooking oil too, or does that all end up in baht buses and tourist coaches?

Depends on how many days it's been used.

If it has some life it goes to the baht bus, black as coal it goes in the klong

Reminds me of a converstion I had with a Thai lady once who asked isnt Thailand beautiful?  Yes, I said but too much rubbish everywhere.  Oh yes she says, but its beautiful isnt it.  No I said, too much rubbish!  I could stay there all day saying the same thing.  She could not see the correlation between rubbish everywhere and the place not being very beautiful.  I sometimes think they just dont see it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

following complaints from citizens that some restaurant operators were secretly dumping trash and wastewater into the canal,

Secretly?? They pretty much dump wastewater and old oil in broad daylight, nothing secret about it, and it happens all over town.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Reminds me of a converstion I had with a Thai lady once who asked isnt Thailand beautiful?  Yes, I said but too much rubbish everywhere.  Oh yes she says, but its beautiful isnt it.  No I said, too much rubbish!  I could stay there all day saying the same thing.  She could not see the correlation between rubbish everywhere and the place not being very beautiful.  I sometimes think they just dont see it.

Deep down they know it all too well, but they don't like the truth, unfortunately.

Thailand is a very dirty and polluted country, which is still very much developing from 'Third-World' status. Cambodia and in particular Phnom Penh is worse!

A quick drive around the back roads of Pattaya will reveal fly tipping everywhere, refuse in large piles outside accommodation blocks, people discarding litter out of their car windows etc.

Again, it comes down to lack of enforcement and punishments for offenders.