Thai potash mine disaster: Unseen contamination taints 10,000 rai of land

webfact

image.jpeg

Analysis from the Synchrotron Light Research Institute (SLRI) has found a worrying degree of contamination on a significant amount of agricultural land adjacent to a potash mine in Nakhon Ratchasima. As per the analysis, over 10,000 rai of land has been tainted with sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

The firm holding the operating rights to the mine, Thai Kali Co, has a leasing agreement that extends until 2040 and spans roughly 9,000 rai. The mine stretches across the tambons of Nong Bua Takiat, Nong Sai, and Non Muang Pattana in the Dan Khun Thot district.

Protest from approximately 150 farmers in June served as a spark to the situation. The disgruntled agricultural workers claimed that the wastewater emanating from the mine had seeped into their farms, tainting natural water resources and infusing the soil with high salinity levels. As a result, the cultivation of rice and other staple crops became a challenge.

by Mitch Connor

Image by veeterzy

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-potash-mine-disaster-unseen-contamination-taints-10000-rai-of-land

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Similar to western stories like Flint, Michigan, USA and latest news from the UK about raw sewage flowing onto tourist beaches. If companies are allowed to do it, they will. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1