Where is the Mars?

OneMoreFarang

I miss 'Three Musketeers' bars. Do you remember them? It was a large bar segmented so that it could be broken into three large pieces 'to share with two friends.'  Cost just a nickel back then. Now it's a tiny bar that costs as much as a small condo...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I miss 'Three Musketeers' bars. Do you remember them? It was a large bar segmented so that it could be broken into three large pieces 'to share with two friends.'  Cost just a nickel back then. Now it's a tiny bar that costs as much as a small condo...

Yes indeed - also one of my favorite's back in the mid 50's when all the normal candy was 5 cents - it was bigger than most as a lot of air in it - but tasted great.  Did not do that much sharing however.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why? Is there a global Mars shortage or who eats it all?

I think it's down to the stoners getting the munchies.

Does anyone remember Wagon Wheels? When I was a kid they were as big as your head. Now, 2 bites and it's gone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

USA vs Europe - US chocolate is mostly sugar and melts at lower temps.  That's why we invented M&M with hard coating for the summer months.

Ya keep chocky in da fridge here ... airtight container ... works a treat

I am a big fan of Mars. Previously that was available in many shops including Foodland, Tops, Villa, 7/11, etc.

Now it seems to be mostly out of stock, or maybe available for a few days and then not anymore.

Why? Is there a global Mars shortage or who eats it all?

7919929210_dfbd52fbb3_z.jpg

OMG ???????? sugar coma on wheels lol ????????????????

Not much of a chocolate boy myself. A piece here and there is nice. Always a few from the amazing chocolatiers in Europe on holidays is yummo ☺️

I'm a coconut junkie., anything with coconut n I'm a goner ???? Love fresh desiccated coconut on my home made cake icings!!!

Delicious coconut choc coated bar called 'Bounty' (maybe halfa' one for me), and occasionally halfa'  'Cherry Ripe' shared with my darling.

As a kid I loved hazelnut Cadburys. Still love chocolate with nuts in it.

• Like 1

Only us fellas from Kiwi Land know what real tropical chocolate consists of.

Chocolate coated Pineapple Lumps - only in NZ, although I think them Aussies might have nicked and rebranded the idea. :coffee1:

• Like 2

Another favourite of mine was Old Jamaica Rum 'n' Raisin. Can't get it any more although Morrisons in the UK do a passable copy. Shows how old the picture is - only cost 9 pence a bar!

th?id=OIP.3gCFsk68ots8Wve8RK3MIwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Only us fellas from Kiwi Land know what real tropical chocolate consists of.

Chocolate coated Pineapple Lumps - only in NZ, although I think them Aussies might have nicked and rebranded the idea. :coffee1:

Nah!  chocolate ginger beats pineapple hands down, actually no contest.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

When I was a young lad , they seemed to be the size of that one on the truck,

how they have shrunken over the years , never eat them now ,too expensive,

regards Worgeordie

Yes years ago back in Scotland I loved mars bars until they had this policy of making them bigger as an excuse to raise the price, then a few weeks later they would reduce in size but the price would stay the same.

I agree they got smaller and smaller. Probably all those people who want to control their weight.

Now they are so small that one, even "big size", is still too small.

The good old times... 

It's a practice known as "shrinkflation" - instead of raising the price, they reduce the size of the product. I've noticed a lot of local restaurants, street food stalls etc, doing the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

how they have shrunken over the years

Mars bars have been getting smaller all around the world, but they have always been significantly smaller in Thailand than I've seen anywhere else.

As for why they're hard to find... I guess it's because they're popular and sell out quickly. Retail shops here don't appear to have cottoned on to the concept of doubling up orders for their bigger sellers.... they just seem to order the same amount of everything and wait for all the products in a range to get low on stock before reordering.

20 hours ago, n00dle said:

more relavent why doesnt M&S have Chiplets. I was in their food section at Central World for the frst time in years and years and couldnt find them

To be fair, that food section is pretty small.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Same with most things that one can buy.Prices gone Up seizes are Down/Smaller .

Not only in Thailand .

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

I guess it's

because they're popular and sell out quickly. Retail shops here don't appear to have cottoned on to the concept of doubling up orders for their bigger sellers.... they just seem to order the same amount of everything and wait for all the products in a range to get low on stock before reordering.

Maybe shelf-life is an issue?

15 hours ago, huangnon said:

Maybe shelf-life is an issue?

Sugary products like chocolate have shelf lives of literally years.

And if the problem is that they're running out of stock, how can it even be considered a shelf-life issue??

Edited by JayClay

On 7/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, NoshowJones said:

Yes years ago back in Scotland I loved mars bars until they had this policy of making them bigger as an excuse to raise the price, then a few weeks later they would reduce in size but the price would stay the same.

Didn’t chip shops have Mars bars in batter at some point?☺️

On 7/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Many products were shrunk in size, rather than increase the price. That was then. Now they do both.