Where is the Mars?

OneMoreFarang

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect several months of 38c plus temps may have resulted in a meltdown?

There are lots of chocolate products, just no Mars.

Currently my alternative is Toblerone. That is mostly still available - not molten. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of chocolate products, just no Mars.

Currently my alternative is Toblerone. That is mostly still available - not molten. 

USA vs Europe - US chocolate is mostly sugar and melts at lower temps.  That's why we invented M&M with hard coating for the summer months.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Supply always a bit hit n miss with imported chocolate. Quite partial (I say I'm buying for the kid) to the occasional "Twix" snack bars myself.

Twix has been on the missing list for ages. Found some Bounty bars the other day though.

• Like 2

Just now, worgeordie said:

When I was a young lad , they seemed to be the size of that one on the truck,

how they have shrunken over the years , never eat them now ,too expensive,

regards Worgeordie

I agree they got smaller and smaller. Probably all those people who want to control their weight.

Now they are so small that one, even "big size", is still too small.

The good old times... 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am a big fan of Mars. Previously that was available in many shops including Foodland, Tops, Villa, 7/11, etc.

Now it seems to be mostly out of stock, or maybe available for a few days and then not anymore.

Why? Is there a global Mars shortage or who eats it all?

7919929210_dfbd52fbb3_z.jpg

I ate them all

• Sad 1

Bought a bag of the bite size reduced in Lotus’s a couple of weeks ago , looked like someone had been sitting on them , the kids still ate them though ….. so did i .

Now on the Maltesers bite size from the reduced section in Big C , the kids love em !! ……. so do i ????

and yes I am from Yorkshire !

11 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Twix has been on the missing list for ages. Found some Bounty bars the other day though.

There is an "expat" shop near to us that sells a full caboodle of (UK) choccy delights; Penguin, Club biscuits, Fry's, Bournville, etc.    Difficult to resist..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree they got smaller and smaller. Probably all those people who want to control their weight.

The good old times... 

As I recall, back in the 50's, 1/4 pound Peter Paul Mounds/Almond Joy bars were expensive at about 12 cents but what some of us got when had the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am a big fan of Mars. Previously that was available in many shops including Foodland, Tops, Villa, 7/11, etc.

Now it seems to be mostly out of stock, or maybe available for a few days and then not anymore.

Why? Is there a global Mars shortage or who eats it all?

7919929210_dfbd52fbb3_z.jpg

4 for £1.50 in Tesco Express.

I can still see them for sale ? ????

That requires your discount card for that price though...

Edited by freedomnow

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The good old times... 

The only businesses that care if their customers gain in weight are weight loss companies.

IMO some four-eyed bean counter seeking a bonus or promotion decided to cut the size down, and hope consumers would not notice.

I don't buy them because they can sometimes extract teeth fillings.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

One reason might be higher producer prices that shop management thinks may deter (most) customers from buying such goods.

I don't really look at the prices. There are many other chocolate products in the same price range and some more expensive. They all seem to be in stock - except Mars. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That's why we invented M&M with hard coating for the summer months.

Actually they were first made in the early 1940's for the US military. Was several years after that before they went on sale to the public. Learned that way back in grade school. Some science teacher. ????

Edited by marin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, marin said:

Actually they were first made in the early 1940's for the US military. Was several years after that before they went on sale to the public. Learned that way back in grade school. Some science teacher. ????

True - actually they were first made in 1941 and military bought all (any chocolate was a rationed item during the war years) - they were made to avoid melting in hot weather so served military well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't really look at the prices. There are many other chocolate products in the same price range and some more expensive. 

I bet, but maybe (some) Thai customers do. Not sure what they buy, but maybe the other products are just 'leftovers' from the last delivery.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

USA vs Europe - US chocolate is mostly sugar and melts at lower temps.  That's why we invented M&M with hard coating for the summer months.

M&M's are a copy of the British made Smarties

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As I recall, back in the 50's, 1/4 pound Peter Paul Mounds/Almond Joy bars were expensive at about 12 cents but what some of us got when had the money.

I remember an ice cream cone in 70s was $.25 and any chocolate bar was same.

They shrunk the candy bars and more like $2.30 in USA now.