House Speaker Clarifies His Role in PM Vote Session

snoop1130

1689922022_419898-tnamcot-e1689922047596-768x403.jpg

BANGKOK, July 17 (TNA) – House speaker Wan Muhamad Noor Matha asserted that he had performed his duties impartially in a controversial parliamentary session to select a prime minister on July 19 after being widely criticized.  

He said the meeting was convened to select a new prime minister in accordance with Section 272 of the Constitution. However, there were differing opinions.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1211187

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-07-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

But who criticised him?

The UNELECTED senators, the caretaker government parties?

The main difference between Wan Muhamad Noor Matha and the rest of the yapping mob, is that he was LEGALLY elected to his position and they were not.

Please! Don´t tell me that you do not get he was put in that place as a puppet? No one is legally elected here. It´s only the game behind the scenes that rules and make the decisions.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

But who criticised him?

The UNELECTED senators, the caretaker government parties?

The main difference between Wan Muhamad Noor Matha and the rest of the yapping mob, is that he was LEGALLY elected to his position and they were not.

deleted

Edited by dinsdale

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

He was elected speaker of the lower house 3 or 4 weeks ago by the combined forces of the MFP & PTP 8-party coalition! Now doing his job as best he can in very difficult circumstances.

Please don't rabbit on about things of which clearly you haven't bothered to inform yourself.

After much dealing about who will do what and who will get what that you never hear about. Everyone that is elected to a position in Thailand have to undergo secret dealings first. That´s a well known fact. So, I suggest that you wake up and see the reality for what it is, instead of walking on fluffy clouds.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

After much dealing about who will do what and who will get what that you never hear about. Everyone that is elected to a position in Thailand have to undergo secret dealings first. That´s a well known fact. So, I suggest that you wake up and see the reality for what it is, instead of walking on fluffy clouds.

Really? You can prove that I suppose by publishing the links etc, otherwise I only have your unsubstantiated word, which is on a level with mine.

quote "That´s a well known fact."

Well you claim it is so, therefore prove it.

39 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Same in any democracy. In fact, in any political system. You appoint the guy who's going to do what you want, or who at least is a party member.

What seemed heartening about his appointment was, it overcame the political differences the parties have. A consensus was arrived at between all members of the house. Quite an achievement if you think back to the furore over his appointment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

MFP got sandbagged by not securing the Speakership role first. 

Nothing "heartening" about his "appointment". 

I don't think there was any furore when Wan Noor was nominated. 

If he had an ounce of self-awareness he would realize he's not up to the task and should resign.

I would expect a major blunder again on Thursday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

MFP got sandbagged by not securing the Speakership role first. 

Nothing "heartening" about his "appointment". 

I don't think there was any furore when Wan Noor was nominated. 

If he had an ounce of self-awareness he would realize he's not up to the task and should resign.

I would expect a major blunder again on Thursday.

You've made several errors in your comment. There were intense negotiations over the speakership if you remember. PT wanted it in exchange for backing Pita for PM. But MFP wasn't having it, so there was deadlock, until this guy, an apparent neutral, as is proper, got nominated and accepted by all. That was the furore I was talking about. And it did initially look heartening, to me at least, that the parties managed to overcome their differences in a civilized manner. I think PT got the deputy speaker position in exchange, IIRC.

I agree he doesn't in hindsight look up to the job. He got bullied into allowing an obviously loaded vote on Pita's second nomination, but has already been taken to task for that. There's a remedy which neither PT nor MFP seem to be interested in taking up. Hopeless.

His decision has been roundly criticized by several of the most prominent legal scholars in Thailand.  Hs incorrect decision needs to be appealed to the CC for a definitive ruling for future elections.  Meanwhile, he is way too old and totally unsuitable for the job and should resign.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

His decision has been roundly criticized by several of the most prominent legal scholars in Thailand.  Hs incorrect decision needs to be appealed to the CC for a definitive ruling for future elections.  Meanwhile, he is way too old and totally unsuitable for the job and should resign.

Yes, MFP needs to refer this to the CC ASAP. But they don't seem very interested. Maybe they will eventually. They need some real strong, experienced parliamentarians in their party. Pita is sadly just getting his butt kicked from here to wherever. It's a pity Chuwit isn't on the board, so to speak!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuwit_Kamolvisit

A CV to die for! He could probably empty the Bentstate overnight with his research team's revelations.

But I agree, the speaker looks sadly out of his depth. If he was put there for exactly that reason, it has hopelessly backfired. Som nam na!

They need a real strong man or woman to stand up to the Senators and the anti MFP MPs.

Wokenote

Chances of a woman getting the job, with only 5% in the parliament, the lowest anywhere in ASEAN I believe, are remote.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really? You can prove that I suppose by publishing the links etc, otherwise I only have your unsubstantiated word, which is on a level with mine.

quote "That´s a well known fact."

Well you claim it is so, therefore prove it.

No need for proof, as you can see it as clear as me. Just look at political history.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

No need for proof, as you can see it as clear as me. Just look at political history.

I can remember history from when I was at school in the 1950s.

The UK has been invaded by the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons, the Picts, the Scots, the Jutes, the Normans, Th Spanish tried, as did the Germans, the French and probably a few more.

That is political history.

Thailand has been invaded by the Burmese, the Cambodians, the Laotionas, the Malays, the Vietnamese. That is also political history.

Thailand has also been invaded many times by its own military, though they were called military coups.

Thailand as a country and as a people have survived through them all, and they will survive the current dinosaurs though it may be messy.

Remember that history is written by the winners, and it isn't over yet.

• Haha 1