Judge sets May 2024 date for Trump classified documents trial

Social Media

SmartSelect_20230721_210435_Chrome.jpg

The Florida federal judge overseeing the Espionage Act and obstruction of justice case against former president Donald Trump has rejected the disgraced ex-president’s bid to delay his trial until after the 2024 election.

US District Judge Aileen Cannon on Friday issued an order granting the government’s request to set a speedy trial date and schedule for pretrial motions, with a start date of 20 May 2024.

Prosecutors with the office of Justice Department Special Counsel Jack Smith had asked for her to set a December 2023 trial date, four months after the August date she’d put on the court’s calendar shortly after Mr Trump and his co-defendant Walt Nauta first appeared in a Miami courtroom to answer the 38-count indictment charging the ex-president with unlawfully retaining national defence information, and charging both him and Mr Nauta with conspiracy and obstruction of justice offences.

Full Story

SmartSelect_20230721_210755_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Expect Trump's lawyers to do everything possible to push this date back.  Justice delayed is justice denied.

Sure but that adage is usually to work the other way around:

"Justice delayed is justice denied" is a legal maxim. It means that if legal redress or equitable relief to an injured party is available, but is not forthcoming in a timely fashion, it is effectively the same as having no remedy at all.

Usually applied to when the defendant is hurt by delay -- not when the defendant WANTS delay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_delayed_is_justice_denied

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Wow, what a totally irrelevant off-topic attempt at derailment.

Obviously I mean Trump's long history of delaying investigations and trials as much as possible.

Your point was...   "justice delayed is justice denied"... it either is or it isn't... you want to only apply it when and where you want... 555

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I want to apply it to the topic.  You obviously want to divert from the topic.  I assume that is because you have nothing to contribute.

You are hilarious... what is the topic?  "justice delayed is justice denied"... your statement... it really is a broad brush stroke that you now want to restrict to Trump's situation only... typical

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Measure him up for an orange jump suit! Get the fool out of circulation!

Even though I think he is guilty as sin , and a vile individual   If Trump spends one day in jail I would be very surprised.

IMO if it gets to the point where he thinks conviction is inevitable he will plea a deal. 

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

Even though I think he is guilty as sin , and a vile individual   If Trump spends one day in jail I would be very surprised.

IMO if it gets to the point where he thinks conviction is inevitable he will plea a deal. 

Defection more likely in my humble opinion he has the tools and has grifted enough money from his sup…..rubes……anyway you get my drift

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Should go to trial this year.  Dragged on way too long.

Opinion  Trying Trump under the Espionage Act will be trickier than you think
By Baruch Weiss
June 21, 2023 at 7:15 a.m. EDT

Baruch Weiss, a former federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York, is a partner at Arnold & Porter and a criminal defense lawyer who handles Espionage Act cases.

The charges in the indictment against Donald Trump might seem simple: Trump finished his term as president, became an ordinary citizen, yet retained 31 classified documents that, under the Espionage Act, he should have returned to the government upon demand. He compounded his wrongdoing by lying and obstructing.

But as a former federal prosecutor and a defense attorney who has handled Espionage Act cases, I can tell you that prosecutions under that law are tricky. And Trump’s will be extraordinarily so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/21/trump-prosecution-espionage-act-tricky/

https://archive.is/UJhXJ#selection-409.0-585.194

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Defection more likely in my humble opinion he has the tools and has grifted enough money from his sup…..rubes……anyway you get my drift

It would be highly unlikely that he would defect IMO , how could such thing even happen? since he was indited, he would be a fugitive of the law.

IMO if it looks like he would be convicted given the evidence , his lawyers would advise him to negotiate a plea deal. 

I know his type he is a sociopath , he really does not care what others think, he has no shame, he feels no guilt , He would take the best possible deal for himself.  

I don't know what form such deal would take but I would assume it would have a precision that he abstains  from , and does not try to influence  politics. There might be some other punitive damages but I find it difficult to believe he would spend a day in jail. Jail is for the poor and those without power, He is neither of these things.

"No Shame or Guilt – Psychopaths see no shame or guilt even when the person's behavior was obviously hurtful. Normal people feel significant levels of guilt, remorse, even shame when they manipulate others, steal, cheat or lie. The psychopath is aware their behavior hurt the other person—they simply don't care.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

He’s got nothing to plea with.

But I’ll make a prediction. If Trump does get convicted and sentenced to prison he’ll file for release on the basis of ill-health.

I’ll go further and predict his ill-health filing will include why he was rushed in the middle of the night to the Walter Reed Hospital and a list of medical claims that sound an awful lot like the accusations he currently levels at Biden.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

Tug   When are they going to get with the real criminal, Biden corruption?  Why do you never mention this?  Huh?  This is for real.  Charges on Trump are made up of what the call "Judicial Theory."   How can charges be a theory?  Alvin Bragg in NY and the Jack Smith brought in from the Netherlands.  The US is a lawless country at the top.  Guess you are proud.

All those Republicans, members of Trump’s administration and people whose family name is Trump or Kushner providing sworn testimony against Donald Trump,

My goodness Jack Smith is good at making stuff up.

• Haha 1

Prosecutors Ask Witnesses Whether Trump Acknowledged He Lost 2020 Race
Jared Kushner was questioned before a federal grand jury as prosecutors appeared to be trying to establish if the former president knew his efforts to stay in power were built on a lie.

By Michael S. Schmidt and Maggie Haberman
July 13, 2023, 4:33 p.m. ET

Federal prosecutors investigating former President Donald J. Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election have questioned multiple witnesses in recent weeks — including Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner — about whether Mr. Trump had privately acknowledged in the days after the 2020 election that he had lost, according to four people briefed on the matter.

The line of questioning suggests prosecutors are trying to establish whether Mr. Trump was acting with corrupt intent as he sought to remain in power — essentially that his efforts were knowingly based on a lie — evidence that could substantially bolster any case they might decide to bring against him.

Mr. Kushner testified before a grand jury at the federal courthouse in Washington last month, where he is said to have maintained that it was his impression that Mr. Trump truly believed the election was stolen, according to a person briefed on the matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/13/us/politics/kushner-grand-jury-trump.html

https://archive.is/PMIXQ#selection-351.0-545.256

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But I’ll make a prediction. If Trump does get convicted and sentenced to prison he’ll file for release on the basis of ill-health.

Your ill-health Idea is not bad and might be also used as an excuse for a plea deal 

In discovery the defence will see all the evidence and witness list, They will also have a part in jury selection, They  IMO, they will have a pretty good idea where this trial is going and what their chances of acquittal are.  Perhaps trump will proclaim his innocence and  witch-hunt, but when  they see where this is going  he would conveniently get sick,  claim that  due to the illness and for the good of the country and some other nonsense,  he is sadly  forced to withdraw from the campaign . bla bla bla, and he will got to Fl to play golf, while all those who together with him marched to the :cheesy: go to jail .  Remember that by the time  this takes place most primaries would have taken place and he could very well be  the presumptive Republican nominee. 

Anyway , He is a mentally ill  person and as such unpredictable , so  one thing is for sure, for the next Year or so we will have plenty of material to argue about :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Mr. Kushner testified before a grand jury at the federal courthouse in Washington last month, where he is said to have maintained that it was his impression that Mr. Trump truly believed the election was stolen, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Sounds an awful like the ‘person briefed on the matter’ is Mr Kushner himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Prosecutors Ask Witnesses Whether Trump Acknowledged He Lost 2020 Race
Jared Kushner was questioned before a federal grand jury as prosecutors appeared to be trying to establish if the former president knew his efforts to stay in power were built on a lie.

By Michael S. Schmidt and Maggie Haberman
July 13, 2023, 4:33 p.m. ET

Federal prosecutors investigating former President Donald J. Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election have questioned multiple witnesses in recent weeks — including Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner — about whether Mr. Trump had privately acknowledged in the days after the 2020 election that he had lost, according to four people briefed on the matter.

The line of questioning suggests prosecutors are trying to establish whether Mr. Trump was acting with corrupt intent as he sought to remain in power — essentially that his efforts were knowingly based on a lie — evidence that could substantially bolster any case they might decide to bring against him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/13/us/politics/kushner-grand-jury-trump.html

https://archive.is/PMIXQ#selection-351.0-545.256

I’m not in the least surprised Jarod would say that he well knows that if he doesn’t say what daddy wants daddy will disembowel him (Saudi 2 billion for starters) he wouldent hesitate to shaft his kids if he thinks it would save him not for a second