Thais are sinking deeply into debt

webfact

On 7/26/2023 at 9:47 AM, keysersoze276 said:

Did anyone read this article?  I didn’t read it or the comments.Ii have been around too long and this is the least Breaking News! article I have seen in a loooooong time. It’s like listening to a broken record.  Ues, it has been getting worse and worse since 2014. Didn’t read the comments either. If you got this far, you have a lot to learn and whatever is written above it 90+percent nonsense. Save your time by skipping these articles. We know this is a third world country led by a corrupt dictatorship and anyone who throws in their 2 cents lost 2 cents. Nothing new and nothing to see here. Life goes on and us foreigners can’t make it better. I have spoken. Enjoy the rest of the day!  Xoxo

A quote from your post.

"We know this is a third world country".

Please speak only for yourself and not WE. You certainly don't speak for me.

Another quote "I have spoken". 

Who cares what you have spoken?

Are you the Lord High Poo Bah, that your words are more important than anybody else's?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

A quote from your post.

Are you the Lord High Poo Bah, that your words are more important than anybody else's?

THIS was the absolutely most strange post I have ever seen. You contribute nothing, while you criticize everything. The guy you are badmouthing is actually right in my opinion, but as he says, maybe it takes people who actually lives here, and have been living here for a while, to understand it....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

THIS was the absolutely most strange post I have ever seen. You contribute nothing, while you criticize everything. The guy you are badmouthing is actually right in my opinion, but as he says, maybe it takes people who actually lives here, and have been living here for a while, to understand it....

It is your opinion and you are welcome to it, just as my post was my opinion and has an equal right to stand alongside yours and the other posters.

You obviously have not read all my posts or you would find that I don't criticise everything. You are welcome to search all my back posts right back as far as November 2003 if you wish, all 27,849 of them, and I wish you luck with that,

As for actually living in Thailand I have been living in Thailand since 2001 full time, working offshore when a job came along. 

I started working in Thailand in 1993, again in 1994 to 1997, again in 2001 to 2004.

I think I have a reasonable, though nowhere near a full understanding of Thailand.

For any extra information you may need to talk to my Thai wife of 23 years or my 18 year old son.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:09 AM, Xin Loi said:

Keeping people in debt is the best way of controlling the masses. All nations do it and the banks love it. By 2011 the country was buried in debt that could not be repaid, by most of the borrowers.

sad butt rue. Many of the wars have been instigated by the banks - wars create opportunity and a need to borrow both for the hardware and the post-conflict reparations. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

A quote from your post.

Thailand is a 3rd world country by almost all standards. Is that really so difficult to  understand?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Thailand is a 3rd world country by almost all standards. Is that really so difficult to  understand?

It is easy to understand.

What is not so easy to understand is your use of the term "WE".

You can speak for yourself as I can.

However you do NOT speak for me or perhaps many others, simply by using the term "WE".

quote from your post,

" Is that really so difficult to  understand"?

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is easy to understand.

What is not so easy to understand is your use of the term "WE".

You can speak for yourself as I can.

However you do NOT speak for me or perhaps many others, simply by using the term "WE".

quote from your post,

" Is that really so difficult to  understand"?

Relax, jai jen, dont forget to take your meds. 

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, johnnybangkok said:

What absolute nonsense. So by your reasoning I could just walk into a bank and ask for a $1 million dollars on a “promise” to pay it back! Of course not. The bank will require assurances in the form of assets or regular, well paid work. If people are being loaned money without the means to pay back then it’s exactly the banks fault (much the same way it would be your fault  if you loaned money to a deadbeat friend or your girlfriends “family”). 
As I said before, poor people will ALWAYS take money if it’s offered; it’s down to the lenders to have a duty of care and make sure they are able to repay it. 

Let me get this right.  So a person can promise to repay but if the lender misjudged their capacity to do so then it is solely the lenders fault. 

Your second sentence above is silly.  You  lied and claimed I said something I never said and then proved how the statement I never made was ridiculous.  You are offensive and illogical.  Get a grip and chill out.   Please refrain from lying would also be appreciated.   Life is to short to be a angry all the time.  With a little empathy you might see the other side of an issue and realize possibly you aren't all knowing.   

Sometimes the borrower is at fault and sometimes the lender or both.  In the end, taking responsibility for your actions is a facet that separates losers and winners.  Blaming someone else for decisions an individual makes seems childish.  I've honored 100% of the contracts I've signed in regards to lending and borrowing money.  That is how I roll but not you I guess, 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, atpeace said:

Let me get this right.  So a person can promise to repay but if the lender misjudged their capacity to do so then it is solely the lenders fault. 

Your second sentence above is silly.  You  lied and claimed I said something I never said and then proved how the statement I never made was ridiculous.  You are offensive and illogical.  Get a grip and chill out.   Please refrain from lying would also be appreciated.   Life is to short to be a angry all the time.  With a little empathy you might see the other side of an issue and realize possibly you aren't all knowing.   

Sometimes the borrower is at fault and sometimes the lender or both.  In the end, taking responsibility for your actions is a facet that separates losers and winners.  Blaming someone else for decisions an individual makes seems childish.  I've honored 100% of the contracts I've signed in regards to lending and borrowing money.  That is how I roll but not you I guess, 

You are taking this far too personally. It is an online debate so no need for name calling or accusing people of lying. I am not lying. Banks regularly loan to people wihout the means to pay back as has been documented numerous times with the sub-prime fiasco being the largest and most damaging. If you cannot see that then I hope the closeted world you live in forever remains the same, but back on planet earth, people with little means to pay back are constantly targeted by lenders into taking on debt they can ill afford. Seldom is it about the lender 'misjudging' the loanee; mostly it's about greed. And the only reason I am pointing this out is that at no stage throughout this thread have you held the lenders to fault; your first admission being now with 'Sometimes the borrower is at fault and sometimes the lender or both'. Congratulations for stating the obvious but MY point is if the borrower obviously can't afford the re-payments then it is the lenders duty to not offer it in the first place. You talk about empathy but you have been blaming the borrowers all the time (see all your other posts) which is the epitome of lacking empathy and is victim blaming at it's finest.

P.S. No need to reply. I get your one sided point of view but I'm pleased you are at least now holding the lenders to some type of accountability.      

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1