Thais are sinking deeply into debt

webfact

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

To get a Thai bank credit card I thought Thais had to have money in the bank to cover the use of the credit card.

In my experience it is only foreigners who need the money in the bank to cover the card. I don't think it applies now as I have 2 KTC credit cards in my name with no associated KTB bank account (although it was applied for through my employer's HR department so that might be the reason).

A few years ago it was double the limit of the card that had to be held in a bank account (this was with Bangkok Bank).

This policy does not appear to apply to Thai nationals. Hence the huge debts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And of that 90.6  % of GDP Loans, only roughly 20 % are secured

The rest are potentially very toxic Loans that are unsecured, and are for Cars , Motorcycles , white goods Etc

A truly scary situation, as the amount is staggering

same thing in the US, banks are in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai people are burdened with high household debt. For many of them, the burden starts early and can last a lifetime. Some young adults, in particular, have racked up massive credit card debt and do not have the ability to pay it off. The Thai workforce is also struggling with rising debt, with their debt levels this year the highest in the past 14 years. Worse still, many older adults are retiring buried in debt and carrying a great amount of it.

Get off your backsides, get onto the streets and demand change...

• Like 1