Aussies retain The Ashes

bignok

Just now, damian said:

The ball tampering saga in SA was absolutely disgraceful. I remember waking up and feeling physically sick when I read about it. I doubt there is one Aussie sporting fan who was not disgusted, angry and saddened by the whole affair. The ACB handed out severe punishment but even so a fair proportion of these same sporting fans wanted blood and called for life bans such was the shame and anger.

Grossly over the top. Other players got fines. Smith got a large ban and all he did was know about it. 

They didnt murder anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, gravia said:

A disappointing end to a very good and even Test series.

All the bull<deleted> on this site from Ausis shows how unsporting like they are.

Maybe test rules should change so  complete days unplayed should be added to further days, so 5 days total is completed, if required

With England weather that might take a fortnight. They'd have to be dedicated spectators.

Here's a reminder of English weather, from a couple of your own:

Edited by Lacessit

Just love all the  sooking, wailing and chestbeating by poms on here, you got flogged, no excuses, flogged I say.???? I make a point of watching Piers Morgan as much as possible. He represents all of the sooks in England (and Thailand)  with his wailing, self flagellating, blame shifting and cringeworthy bitter commentary. It's been a hoot.????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, damian said:

The ball tampering saga in SA was absolutely disgraceful. I remember waking up and feeling physically sick when I read about it. I doubt there is one Aussie sporting fan who was not disgusted, angry and saddened by the whole affair. The ACB handed out severe punishment but even so a fair proportion of these same sporting fans wanted blood and called for life bans such was the shame and anger.

The players involved will never regain the trust from the fans and I believe the fans will never live down the shame that this has brought on our country. However, like an ex-criminal, they have served their time and while there is still a bitter taste left in our mouths, they are playing for Australia and we support them.     

Don’t ever think that we are trying to cover up this blatant cheating because we can’t and we won’t. We are scarred for life on this and have to take our medicine.

In this context, while we can handle the abuse about being cheats (because we were in this regard) and despite our admission of guilt and the unprecedented action taken on the perpetrators, the hard thing for us to swallow is the continual hypocrisy from other countries who have done and admitted the same (and not necessarily limited to ball tampering) but managed in various ways to either get away with it or cop minor punishment.

Stones and glass houses and all that.

I am truly looking forward to the 5th test later this week. I hope we go 3-1 but either way I will enjoy the battle that keeps on keeping on between these two great cricketing nations. 

Excellent comment from a proper Aussie cricket fan; how refreshing.

Good, salient points that you make, and I agree with them all, including the hypocrisy of other cricketing nations, including my own.

I would add that there is a lingering dissatisfaction about the Cricket Australia enquiry, both outside Australia and with my cricketing friends there.

The enquiry, was frankly, a sham; giving disproportionally long bans to three players, in order to shield the real protagonists, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood, didn’t fool anyone.

Everyone knows that nobody alters the condition of a ball that Starc and Cummins are going to bowl with, without their express permission and instruction. The enquiry would have had much more credibility, if all involved were given far shorter bans (2 months max)

The valuable Smith and Warner were kept in the bubble, but they discarded the hapless Bancroft and left him a broken man, right at the start of his Test career.

In an interview with the Guardian newspaper in May 2021, he admitted that the bowling unit were aware of the tampering, but a more poignant quote from that interview is:

“I remember being in Johannesburg waiting for my flight home. It was probably the only night in my life where I lay in bed and couldn’t sleep the whole night, literally eyes to the ceiling, and that was a really difficult experience for me. It showed how impactful it had been on me”

He has since been in counselling with sports psychiatrists trying to repair his broken wellbeing; the pressure of not revealing a truth that most observers saw as obvious, is a heavy burden for a young man. I hope he eventually finds his way to a good future.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Excellent comment from a proper Aussie cricket fan; how refreshing.

Good, salient points that you make, and I agree with them all, including the hypocrisy of other cricketing nations, including my own.

I would add that there is a lingering dissatisfaction about the Cricket Australia enquiry, both outside Australia and with my cricketing friends there.

The enquiry, was frankly, a sham; giving disproportionally long bans to three players, in order to shield the real protagonists, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood, didn’t fool anyone.

Everyone knows that nobody alters the condition of a ball that Starc and Cummins are going to bowl with, without their express permission and instruction. The enquiry would have had much more credibility, if all involved were given far shorter bans (2 months max)

The valuable Smith and Warner were kept in the bubble, but they discarded the hapless Bancroft and left him a broken man, right at the start of his Test career.

In an interview with the Guardian newspaper in May 2021, he admitted that the bowling unit were aware of the tampering, but a more poignant quote from that interview is:

“I remember being in Johannesburg waiting for my flight home. It was probably the only night in my life where I lay in bed and couldn’t sleep the whole night, literally eyes to the ceiling, and that was a really difficult experience for me. It showed how impactful it had been on me”

He has since been in counselling with sports psychiatrists trying to repair his broken wellbeing; the pressure of not revealing a truth that most observers saw as obvious, is a heavy burden for a young man. I hope he eventually finds his way to a good future.

You are living in the past. If they banned the whole team for 2 months it ended years ago.

By the same topic the whole English side in 2005 knew about the cheating. So perhaps strip them of the series win.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

Look at the current rankings.

Pretty much equal over the three forms of international cricket. You will no doubt ignore the Aussies ranking for T20 though as it will make your average ranking look better.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Pretty much equal over the three forms of international cricket. You will no doubt ignore the Aussies ranking for T20 though as it will make your average ranking look better.

T20 is hit n giggle.

11 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Always puzzled me about this Aussie tough guy image. How come they've never had any decent boxers ? Could it be because they are all really a bunch of Nancy boys hahaha.

Boxing you need to be smart and quick witted.

Unlike Ockers that are a bit dim witted .

Like the Aussies though

Great bunch , spent a year there in Queens Land beautiful!

Also love an ice cold tinny of VB .

3 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Boxing you need to be smart and quick witted.

Unlike Ockers that are a bit dim witted .

Like the Aussies though

Great bunch , spent a year there in Queens Land beautiful!

Also love an ice cold tinny of VB .

Been heaps of world champs

Mundine

Fench

Tsyzu

Kambosis

Green

Horne

In muay thai a few too

21 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Always puzzled me about this Aussie tough guy image. How come they've never had any decent boxers ? Could it be because they are all really a bunch of Nancy boys hahaha.

League isnt tough?

Toughest sport outside mma

44 minutes ago, bignok said:

You are living in the past. If they banned the whole team for 2 months it ended years ago.

Oh, so the whole team knew about the sandpaper. I thought it was just Smith, Warner, Bancroft, and the bowlers; thanks for the info, much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1