Residency application / UK national / Legalising marriage certificate

Been here nearly 24 years. More than 23 years on a Non B with work permit (same company).

Decided to try to get residency, which my wife is doing the donkey work for... for now.

The local authorities (Chaeng Wattana, I think) have told her to get our UK marriage certificate translated into Thai, and get this translation (but I think they mean original) legalised/certified/stamped by the British Embassy.

- I was in the UK while all this went on, and got the info from the ladywife, hence the lack of clarity

- the British Embassy are worse than useless, and it appears the only way to get this done is by sending the original document to the relevant UK govt. office.

Any help, ideas, or experience is very welcome. Both for this document, and the process in general. I'm sure that there are plenty of other similar threads, but my 'searching patience' isn't great.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately nothing to do with the UK Embassy in Bangkok. As @Mutt Daengsays, it has to be legalised by the UK Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes (at a fee) and then certified/attested by the Thai Embassy in London (also at a fee).  When I did this for my UK marriage certificate, it took about 14 days. The MK office will forward the legalised document to the Thai Embassy for you, if you provide a stamped-addressed envelope.  

It's much easier to do if you're in the UK or have someone in the UK to do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi I.had to do this and was in Thailand. I googled and there are loads of UK companies who will handle the process so you don't need to go to the UK - I just DHL my document to them in London and they did it all and DHL it back to me

Can't remember who I used but if you interested message me and I will dig it out - I did mine last year

• Thanks 1

I wish you well in your pursuit to gain official Thai government recognition of Permanent Residency. Unfortunately for me, retired in Thailand for over 12 years with Chiang Mai as my only global residency, I am blocked from ever getting official recognition of this fact (aside from a political gaining of that official designation).

This process is a farce. The apostile from HMG is a certificate that certifies that the copy of your extract of the register of your marriage was signed by the official who signed it. The Thai embassy then certifies that the apostile was signed by the person who signed it. The MOFA then certifies that the certifiate certifying the certificate certifying the extract was signed by the person who signed it.

None of the certifiers know anything about any of the certifiers they are certifying. And each stage involve massive injections of dosh to government and couriers. They are certifiying that the certificate says that it was signed  by someone who signed it...... not that it WAS signed by the person it says signed it.

Confused much......?

To add insult to injury, once you have it, no-one gives a monkeys'.

• Thanks 2

I hope everything goes your way on the process and Thai bureaucracy decisions (best of luck just doesn't cover my wish for your endeavor). Personally, I just couldn't see doing it (but I only worked 3-1/2 years and that was 20 years ago)...

Why on earth are you going for residency? If you are married to a Thai citizen then you can skip PR and get citizenship with roughly the same qualifications. Substantially cheaper (5000 baht vs 98,000 baht) and comes with a heck of a lot more rights. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kiwiaussie said:

Why on earth are you going for residency? If you are married to a Thai citizen then you can skip PR and get citizenship with roughly the same qualifications. Substantially cheaper (5000 baht vs 98,000 baht) and comes with a heck of a lot more rights. 

Really? To be honest, this would be perfect. Is there a link to a thread for this?

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

Really? To be honest, this would be perfect. Is there a link to a thread for this?

Thank you in advance.

The best site for this is www.thaicitizenship.com - lots of free guidance there.

Also a long running thread here (300+ pages).

Edited by kiwiaussie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:03 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

The certificate will need to be sent to FCDO Milton Keynes to have an apostille attached. Then it needs to be attested at the Royal Thai Embassy, London. Once that is done it can be translated into Thai and then has to get the Thai MoFA certification stamp. I am currently undergoing the process with my birth certificate.

Here is a good starting point https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised/print

I did it all from Thailand - UK solictor signed the back of all of the above for my Birth certificate, marriage certificate, mum and dads' marriage certificate (needed it for Yellow book) and my University degrees. (I suggest you do the same as you never know what paperwork you might need)

Pain in the <deleted>. Can be done if you know someone in the UK who can handle the post/visit to Thai Embassy side of things, otherwise pay someone! 

4 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

I did it all from Thailand - UK solictor signed the back of all of the above for my Birth certificate, marriage certificate, mum and dads' marriage certificate (needed it for Yellow book) and my University degrees. (I suggest you do the same as you never know what paperwork you might need)

Pain in the <deleted>. Can be done if you know someone in the UK who can handle the post/visit to Thai Embassy side of things, otherwise pay someone! 

I am doing it from Thailand. I sent my birth certificate to the Legalisation Department in Milton Keynes by post to get the apostille and they forwarded it to an agency who are taking it to the Royal Thai Embassy on my behalf. The agency will then post it back to me here in Thailand. Then I will send it to another agent here who will translate it and take it to the Thai MoFA for their approval/certification stamp. All quite simple really, just a little time consuming, largely due to the backlog at the MK Legalisation Office.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1