Increase of entrance fees for foreigners visiting Thailand's 72 historical sites and museums

anchadian

2 hours ago, connda said:

Based on what I know today?  I doubt I'd be living here had I known it 16 years ago.  I would have visited, but not gotten involved with a female Thai citizen 

Where would you have looked for a woman to marry then? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a list of these 72 historic sites and what the price was and the new price? I have never been to a historic site in Thailand that was under 50 bhat. Is it a 50 bhat increase?

I visited Prasat Bam Phluang and it cost 50 bhat so is the price going to be 100 bhat now?

Prasat Phanom Rung was 150 bhat. What will the new price be?

8 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

The price hasn't gone up in 15 years. Nobody can complain about the increase in this case.

The price should rise for Thais, using this rational.

Won't this deter the visitors they have 'lured' here?

The caretaker government has no right to make any changes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Not a big deal really

The locals should get it cheaper, happens in Las Vegas too.

Our local Zoo has differential pricing as locals subsidise the zoo in their rates.

The biggest change is for New Zealanders living outside of Auckland who will now pay the same price as international visitors with ticket prices jumping from the current $24 to $35/adult and $20/child 

Aucklanders who purchase tickets on the day of their visit will now pay $29/adult and $16.50/child 

By locals ..... you mean all citizens of your country?

2 hours ago, connda said:

Based on what I know today?  I doubt I'd be living here had I known it 16 years ago.  I would have visited, but not gotten involved with a female Thai citizen no less marrying one, and moved on to a country that isn't overtly racist and discriminatory toward individuals who are not their own ethnicity and nationality.  There are countries like that.  Where foreigners are encouraged to settle and marry into the native population. 

Name one of those countries?

Mauritius is the only one I can think of.

30 minutes ago, rbkk said:

That Thailand is top of googles search engine for most racist pricing in the world. It's not hard to understand. Did the graphic not help?

Is there  number to say how many not come because of ? Or is like  so many things is from some stuid  idea to  mesure? What country is most expense for condom? Or haircut? or toothpick? Sure can be  found on ....!

4 hours ago, grs90 said:

You seem to be of the opinion that non-Thais should just put-up and shut-up if they disagree with what happens here.  I don't agree with that.  Anyone should feel free to express an opinion as to what is right or wrong, especially on a forum such as this.  

Noted! But you are still a guest. If they want to make money on you, and you want to see or do? Then, what´s the use of complaining. You think they read here and you get a better price next time. Please Sir, discount for you! Special price for you! ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

No they don't.  Speaking from experience as opposed to what I've heard on AN.

Yes, and I am also speaking of experience, as I could otherwise not post what I did. Guess they just don´t like you. Advice: Live with it!

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not my experience ... YMMV

You forgot to add 'yellow book' ... still, no Thai price for me.  Not saying it's never happened, but rare.

Might be different, but I always get it just by using my driving license. ???? 

• Haha 1

This happens in many countries. Just that we don't know about it. One example is what @Patong2 mentioned. 

Paying more than the locals kind of makes one angry. But very often its mentioned about the millions foreigners spend compared to locals.

So... a couple of 100 or so bahts? Yes,  we can shout out loud about discrimination - but... but... it happens all over this beautiful planet. 

We gotta accept these... it's REALITY. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greeneking said:

The price should rise for Thais, using this rational.

Won't this deter the visitors they have 'lured' here?

The caretaker government has no right to make any changes.

Not really. Locals should learn/know  about their history,  isn't it? 

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

1466398015_CAFishing.thumb.jpg.19459432a2e041ad36cf1c1e65c4640f.jpg

What is being discussed here is the nationality of the customer not whether he is a resident or not. They are very different things. I have a yellow residence book and a pink Thai ID card with a National Identification number but I am not allowed to pay the same price as a Thai resident because I am "Foreign."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbkk said:

Google "Racist pricing" and the first hit is from Thailand. #1 Hub! Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people | Coconuts

Imagine a Thai wanting to visit  a Western country - the questions that needs to be answered are atrocious,  to say it mildly. 

Imagine a Westerner been asked the same questions to obtain a tourist visa to Thailand. 

Humans are racists... IMHO

12 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Thai museums aren't worth 2 baht.

I wouldn't know as I wouldn't spend 1 baht because of the racist pricing. Same with the National parks pricing and the 5 different levels of hospital pricing. (Thai online pharmacies have the one price regardless of your nationality or skin colour.)

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Noted! But you are still a guest. If they want to make money on you, and you want to see or do? Then, what´s the use of complaining. You think they read here and you get a better price next time. Please Sir, discount for you! Special price for you! ????

I don't normally get involved with arguments on the internet..............BUT!

As I said when I responded to your earlier post I am not complaining.  I merely pointed out to another poster who claimed that "locals discount" happened in other countries that, in most other countries, "locals" means people who live locally irrespective of their nationality.  In Thailand the dual pricing seems to be based almost entirely on nationality and, from a personal perspective, I think that is wrong.  You obviously think it is OK which is fine.  You might even be happy if countries in Europe introduced an extra "darkies" fee for visitors but I would oppose that too.

I'm absolutely certain that "they" don't read here and I'm also certain that the dual pricing won't change in my lifetime.  As I stated previously I do sometimes pay the extra foreigner fee if I want to see the site/attraction on offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

If I don't like the pricing of any establishment, it's very simple, I don't enter.  No need for me to become bitter, complain, jaded, life is too short to worry about things I can not change.

I concur that. Just came back from Phimai where the price I paid to enter the ruins is 5 times of the local price. Not only that I did it 4 days in a row. The only gripe I had was that they didn't give me extra days, like they do in Siem Reap (pay 4 get 7). At the other end of the spectrum, there are places in BKK that they couldn't pay me to go in.

Edited by watthong

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What!? Again??? Do you people have nothing to do, than to complain. Buhu, buhu! It´s so unfair. Buhu, buhu!

Really! Pay the price if you wish to look or visit something, otherwise leave it be. This is Thailand, and you people don´t set the rules. Just acting like complaining visitors.

Just a little info: If you are living in Thailand and have a pink ID or a Driving License, most places give you same price like Thais.

Show me a tourist who has a pink card or Thai driver license.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Just say NO! We must absolutely refuse to pay these jacked up fees. If no foreigners went to these parks, maybe the goons would rethink their idiotic and racist policies.

I agree with your thinking. I do, however, really beleive that they don't want us at any of these places and don't care. They will still get their salaries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

Show me a tourist who has a pink card or Thai driver license.

Why, my comment and post related to other posts that discussed about expats living here.

There are no tourists who have that. Never said that. As a tourist you have to pay what they ask for in the country you visit. Another option is to visit another country. Why travel just for complaining? That´s not a fun holiday.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, grs90 said:

I don't normally get involved with arguments on the internet..............BUT!

That´s a good one. Did you just try to excuse yourself for replying? 

Regarding the fees. Pay up or stay out ???? 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What!? Again??? Do you people have nothing to do, than to complain. Buhu, buhu! It´s so unfair. Buhu, buhu!

Really! Pay the price if you wish to look or visit something, otherwise leave it be. This is Thailand, and you people don´t set the rules. Just acting like complaining visitors.

Just a little info: If you are living in Thailand and have a pink ID or a Driving License, most places give you same price like Thais.

They do not give Thai price for Driving licence any more.