Denied entry.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, BritTim said:

They never do these days, unless they are pretty sure you do not have it. The last thing they want is for you to show them a lot of cash, and then tell you that you cannot enter sue to lack of money,

That's an interesting point!  So when you risk being refused entry, it might be useful to show the Immigration Officer the bundle of cash you have with you.  When you detect hesitance in the Imm Officers behavior to stamp you in, showing the cash non-asked (pretending to do it because you want to show him that you meet the requirements) should then already take away one bogus reason for denying you entry. 

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:

This thread is in desperate need of a cleanup, with all those dumb and irrelevant discussions of tax residency etc. Focus on immigration.

It’s relevant because if you qualify as a resident but you don’t have the proper visa, then you will be refused entry. Stays longer than 180 days in a calendar year on a tourist visa and funding your stay with income being brought in from outside the country that is now taxable. If you are on this situation you should get the proper visa to match your residency, such as an LTR visa, Elite visa, or any other non. Immigrant visa you can qualify for. 

Edited by wmlc
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2023 at 7:35 PM, Dan O said:

The 180 day tax issue now doesnt really exist its just an ongoing statement thats taken on a life of its own and that isnt really true. 

Let me guess. It was not you that wrote this? Which is it? Does the law exist or not? I

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

So you've never had a case adjudicated by a judge...?

I rest my case... ????

Sorry but I can’t handle those as only Thai lawyers can go to court. ????. I will ask my Thai attorneys their opinion on this. ????????

Edited by wmlc
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

What I qualified to you was you have to have income to be considered a tax resident. That income has to be brought into Thailand in the same year or earned in Thailand. If you have no income in those categories the 180 day tax resident isn't applicable.  You claim you’re a lawyer yet you treat people like crap with arrogant comments and insults. I don't know too many successful lawyers with a pathetic compass on communication skill like I've seen here in your responses.  Im not running away Im ignoring person that has no idea how to talk or discuss things with people on a public forum. I won't waste my time with ignorant people that talk to people like that so good by, your on ignore. 

Oh. Where did I say I was a lawyer?  I insinuated that I may work in a law firm and I said foreign lawyers can’t go to court.

Now back to more of your false statements. If  you are here for more than 180 days on a tourist visa, you must have money right? So either you bring that money in with you that you earned abroad or you earn it inside Thailand. Duh there is no other option and both fall under the 180 day law. You don’t need to be a lawyer to see that your logic is out of whack. You came at me first with your false comments trying to argue, not me. How many times are you going to put me on ignore. ????????????

Edited by wmlc
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, wmlc said:

Oh. Where did I say I was a lawyer?  I insinuated that I may work in a law firm and I said foreign lawyers can’t go to court.

Now back to more of your false statements. If  you are here for more than 180 days on a tourist visa, you must have money right? So either you bring that money in with you that you earned abroad or you earn it inside Thailand. Duh there is no other option and both fall under the 180 day law. You don’t need to be a lawyer to see that your logic is out of whack. You came at me first with your false comments trying to argue, not me. How many times are you going to put me on ignore. ????????????

You can bring money in from abroad from a previous tax year and it is exempt from tax in Thailand over 180 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's an interesting point!  So when you risk being refused entry, it might be useful to show the Immigration Officer the bundle of cash you have with you.  When you detect hesitance in the Imm Officers behavior to stamp you in, showing the cash non-asked (pretending to do it because you want to show him that you meet the requirements) should then already take away one bogus reason for denying you entry. 

I do think that is worth trying, perhaps not telling the official that you have money, but ensuring the pile of cash is clearly visible when pretending to look for something else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wmlc said:

You are correct. Good boy for reading section 41. But, what you can’t convince me of is that the majority of these tourists will have a large savings. Therefore, they will be using income from the current year they are entering. Most are going to be using income they earn month to month. 

Since this has turned into a tax thread, I have a question that has bothered me for awhile.  Just a general question not directed to any post or poster.  If I have had a foreign bank account for many years (30+), That I have put money into and taken out of during those years and then transfer to Thailand, How the hell does anybody know what year it was earned. I don't even know.  Stupid question? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

Since this has turned into a tax thread, I have a question that has bothered me for awhile.  Just a general question not directed to any post or poster.  If I have had a foreign bank account for many years (30+), That I have put money into and taken out of during those years and then transfer to Thailand, How the hell does anybody know what year it was earned. I don't even know.  Stupid question? 

It doesn't work like this. 

Let's say  you have a Thai bank account and at the end of each month 58,745 Baht arrive from Happy Lucky Brighter Fortune Co. Purpose of the transfer is stated every time as "salary". Looks a lot like a salary,  right?

Now let's say you have a Thai bank account and at the end of January you get 75,876 Baht from Happy Lucky Brighter Fortune Co. At the end of February you get 34,364 Baht from them. Purpose is stated as "January 2023", "February 2023" and so on. This goes on every month, except for December,  where the money - 123,456 Baht -  arrives earlier,  at Dec 20th, and is stated as "December 2023 incl. Christmas bonus". Looks like what?

Now, if you have a Thai bank account and you get 556,000 Baht on May 15th from Mrs Sabaiguy, stated as "for purchase of used Honda Civic", and on Aug. 7th you receive 300,000 Baht from your own foreign account stated as "living expenses", nobody is going to ask stupid questions. 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, Pattaya57 said:

But you've lived in Thailand for years and now caught pretending to be a tourist.  How is that an IO on a power trip flexing his muscles?

I'm imagining you, on a tourist visa, responding to IO "but I live here" therefore sealing their case

I've been in Thailand as a tourist since the beginning of 2020, never leaving for more than a few days. As long as I don't stay longer than each stamp allows, it's not a problem.

Just now, JoseThailand said:

I've been in Thailand as a tourist since the beginning of 2020, never leaving for more than a few days. As long as I don't stay longer than each stamp allows, it's not a problem.

Doesn't what happened to me prove that isn't the case

2 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Doesn't what happened to me prove that isn't the case

It doesn't mean they did that lawfully. Anyway, I don't know what exactly you told them, how you answered their questions. I've been questioned many times, and always allowed in.

OP, take a photo of the denial of entry stamp, and explain what the "trumped up charges" were. This will help us to gather the possible ways for you to get back into Thailand.

If, for example, you were denied entry for previous convictions from a street fight, then your possibility of getting back anytime soon is much reduced compared with simply using tourist visas too much.

It is very revealing that you refuse to do these two things.

11 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Since cash is fungible, the only way anyone can prove the age of any particular pot of cash is if it is kept completely separate for an appropriate length of time. Ideal, is having two foreign bank account which you use for deposits in alternate years, transferring to Thailand from the one associated with the prior tax year.

As a practical matter, since enforcement is so difficult, the Thai tax authorities do not try to tax overseas income that was not transferred directly to Thailand.

47 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

OP, take a photo of the denial of entry stamp, and explain what the "trumped up charges" were. This will help us to gather the possible ways for you to get back into Thailand.

If, for example, you were denied entry for previous convictions from a street fight, then your possibility of getting back anytime soon is much reduced compared with simply using tourist visas too much.

It is very revealing that you refuse to do these two things.

The weird thing is that, when he finally received his passport back, there was no denial stamp (and, equally strange, there was no charge for the stay in the detention room). All he received was a document given to him earlier that informed him that he was being denied entry. I have never before heard of exactly this set of circumstances. It is conceivable that, in the final analysis, this was a shadow denied entry, with no record in immigration's system. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find out.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The weird thing is that, when he finally received his passport back, there was no denial stamp (and, equally strange, there was no charge for the stay in the detention room). All he received was a document given to him earlier that informed him that he was being denied entry. I have never before heard of exactly this set of circumstances. It is conceivable that, in the final analysis, this was a shadow denied entry, with no record in immigration's system. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find out.

If you're talking about the OP's case there have been numerous threads over the years reported on here of no denial stamp being placed in a passport

In fact it's more rare they stamp one in

2 hours ago, darrendsd said:

If you're talking about the OP's case there have been numerous threads over the years reported on here of no denial stamp being placed in a passport

In fact it's more rare they stamp one in

Can you point me at one example where this happened at at airport. My own recollection is only of a case years ago where they were told they would be denied entry if they did not leave voluntarily, and they never went to the detention room. Years ago, this used to happen at some land borders to those trying for visa exemptions, but I have not heard of these unofficial denials of entry, even at land borders, for quite some while (however, they will prevent you leaving to do a border bounce if they would deny entry if the person left).

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Can you point me at one example where this happened at at airport. My own recollection is only of a case years ago where they were told they would be denied entry if they did not leave voluntarily, and they never went to the detention room. Years ago, this used to happen at some land borders to those trying for visa exemptions, but I have not heard of these unofficial denials of entry, even at land borders, for quite some while (however, they will prevent you leaving to do a border bounce if they would deny entry if the person left).

Do a search. It's easy enough

As someone who lived here for 15 years on a mixture of Ed Visas Tourist Visas and Visa Exempts I used to be constantly on this forum checking the latest updates

Luckily I'm on a Retirement visa now so my visa worries are over ????

18 hours ago, Lorry said:

It doesn't work like this. 

Let's say  you have a Thai bank account and at the end of each month 58,745 Baht arrive from Happy Lucky Brighter Fortune Co. Purpose of the transfer is stated every time as "salary". Looks a lot like a salary,  right?

Now let's say you have a Thai bank account and at the end of January you get 75,876 Baht from Happy Lucky Brighter Fortune Co. At the end of February you get 34,364 Baht from them. Purpose is stated as "January 2023", "February 2023" and so on. This goes on every month, except for December,  where the money - 123,456 Baht -  arrives earlier,  at Dec 20th, and is stated as "December 2023 incl. Christmas bonus". Looks like what?

Now, if you have a Thai bank account and you get 556,000 Baht on May 15th from Mrs Sabaiguy, stated as "for purchase of used Honda Civic", and on Aug. 7th you receive 300,000 Baht from your own foreign account stated as "living expenses", nobody is going to ask stupid questions. 

Thanks Lorry.  Your 3rd paragraph is the only one relevant to my stupid question.  I only mentioned transfers from my personal foreign account to my personal Thai account not 3rd party transfers.

On 7/27/2023 at 11:44 AM, Caldera said:

The question that you and others that read it the way you do can never answer is this: If IOs in fact have the discretion that you claim they have and exercise it lawfully, then why do they see the need to pick a bogus reason from section 12 for their denial of entry stamp?

What bogus reason the IOs pick?

22 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

It doesn't mean they did that lawfully. Anyway, I don't know what exactly you told them, how you answered their questions. I've been questioned many times, and always allowed in.

So, Had i until now.  As has been said many times on here its IO discretion whether to let you in or not.  I know they might have not done it lawfully but that wasn't the point, the point is it could happen to you.  So, I don't know what your point is?   Apart from some kind of gloating.  

Edited by paulikens
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Do a search. It's easy enough

As someone who lived here for 15 years on a mixture of Ed Visas Tourist Visas and Visa Exempts I used to be constantly on this forum checking the latest updates

Luckily I'm on a Retirement visa now so my visa worries are over ????

search under what?  genuinely interested.