Singapore to execute woman on drugs charge for the first time in 20 years

Social Media

On 7/29/2023 at 10:41 PM, riclag said:

It works for me buddy! 
53 is a accomplishment   ,I wish my country could claim that!

Illegal drugs is a scourge on humanity ,it contributes to addiction,crimes,and all other manifestations of suffering!

You’re not drug dealer material then. By the way, the biggest destroyer of society isn’t drugs, it’s alcohol! Booze has the worst impact not only on the addicted themselves, but also on their social environment, like family and friends. 

On 7/30/2023 at 6:30 AM, AustinRacing said:

I think you’re confusing deterrent with elimination. Of course it deters many people from committing such crimes. 

Well, Singapore ranks 53rd out of 195 countries in the world when it comes to drugs. So how much does it really deter? 

On 7/30/2023 at 7:42 AM, Purdey said:

Agree.Portugal did this.

Well, technically speaking they only decriminalized personal possession of small amounts. They will still prosecute if they catch you with larger amounts. But it definitely solved the major drug problem they had there! 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Hard to tell. One possibility is that it could much higher had it not been for the death penalty. 

As long as there's massive amounts of money to be made and as long as there is a demand for drugs there will always be people willing to take the risk and sell drugs regardless of potential punishment. By the way, the death penalty in Singapore can be circumvented by staying below a certain amount of any given drug. I think it's 15 grams for heroin. The woman in question was caught with twice as much, so she clearly didn't care about the death penalty. Either way, I'm not saying it won't deter some people, but it's not the major anti-drug weapon many people think it is! Not even close! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thumbs Up 1