Alternative to Fortuner

16 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have some homework to do.

As long as I can get a car/SUV second hand in the 7000 dollar range(I am told that is the minimum u should consider for safety)

I'll be happy.

7000 USD or AUS ? 

USD = ~ 240k THB ... you ain't getting much for that.

'minimum for safety' .... I wouldn't worry about safety, at that price, for SUV, you'll be lucky if it starts or doesn't break down, so I guess very safe if can't drive it.

You really need to up your budget.    I'd be concerned about the wife being stranded in the middle of nowhere, when it breaks down, than the vehicle's safety record.  A more safety conscious concern.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

What about the gasoline usage with these bigger cars?

Fortuner is mainly a diesel ride, the benzine version engine was low on umph, and I reckon only out there in small numbers......

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/31/2023 at 12:43 PM, transam said:

Fortuner is mainly a diesel ride, the benzine version engine was low on umph, and I reckon only out there in small numbers......

As are most ICEV ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, transam said:

Mrs.T is short, but she drove the Vigo 4x4 auto OK, but the Honda CRV would be a good choice....:clap2:

I have seen what looks like a new 2023 model CR-V out and about lately. Looks quite nice. Similar front to the HR-V.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did some research a couple of years ago. Fortuner, crv, Everest, cx8, pajero to name a few. The winner was Everest so I bought one. Fortuner has a cheap interior and poor quality. The two foldable back seats are awkward, rattle later on and take up too much space in my view. 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:38 PM, scorecard said:

What about the gasoline usage with these bigger cars?

I have a Fortuner 2.8lt and I can tell you it's great on fuel. I get around 6lt = 100km on a run loaded Much lower in the mid 5lt if I stick to 90kph. The 2.4lt will do less KPL so if you go for one buy the 2.8lt.

To the person that said the back seats rattle I can tell you they don't My Tuna is over 6 years old and not a rattle/squeak anywhere. Just wish people that don't know would stop making up things to look like they know something.

Not unlike the chap that said that they have drum brakes so don't stop. The old ones used to have disc and drums but all the new ones have discs all round. Also stop on a postage stamp. My Buddha there are some strange know nothing folks posting on TV.

18 hours ago, DoneTravelling said:

Try looking at the Ford Everest, some good deals on used ones. Excellent fuel consumption, full 7 seven seater, lots of safety features and my missus who is 5,5 can drive it with ease. 

I would not touch a car going for 250k

Thanks I think the balance seems to be for the Everest so I will look for a cheap one and ask the in-law who knows cars to evaluate it before buying. Just as long as it comes in either red(wife's choice) or bronze(my choice). it should be fine.