Smiling at people

bignok

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think I have worked out why the older Russian guys don’t smile, have you seen their wives?

If you smile at someone in a British pub, expect to be asked “Who do you think you’re looking at?” Closely followed by a beer glass in the face.

That is a complete untruth.

British pubs are far less violent these days than they ever were way back when.

Depends what type of pubs you choose to frequent I suppose.

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

What are you looking at?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I was being satirical, it’s only true in Liverpool

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

maybe you meant, "I" can't tell... you need to consider the situation, and the person and what is in their eyes. It requires a certain amount of perception, quite common amongst Thai and some farang can do it too... 

No, no one can tell. It's a guess invented by someone who thought they can tell a person's thoughts by their facial expressions. I consider everything, as psychology and what makes people think is a hobby I've studied for over 35 years. A person can cry and be happy, and have a scowl, and also be okay in their thoughts, but not want to let others in. A smile means nothing. A lot, meaning most of people will smile to hide their real feelings. Just because someone makes something up that makes sense to them doesn't mean it makes sense at all. People follow others who they believe in for many reasons, power, money and status being some examples. They mean nothing. Narcissists have been fooling people for centuries, and these are the people many vote for in politics. Politicians smile because they know it makes people believe in what they say. At least some people.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, no one can tell. It's a guess invented by someone who thought they can tell a person's thoughts by their facial expressions. I consider everything, as psychology and what makes people think is a hobby I've studied for over 35 years. A person can cry and be happy, and have a scowl, and also be okay in their thoughts, but not want to let others in. A smile means nothing. A lot, meaning most of people will smile to hide their real feelings. Just because someone makes something up that makes sense to them doesn't mean it makes sense at all. People follow others who they believe in for many reasons, power, money and status being some examples. They mean nothing. Narcissists have been fooling people for centuries, and these are the people many vote for in politics. Politicians smile because they know it makes people believe in what they say. At least some people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/smiling-can-trick-your-brain-happiness-boost-your-health-ncna822591

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Knew that when I was a teenager. Just like in a relationship. One can make the relationship better acting "as if" things are going okay, and they will with this thinking. It catches on, just like a smile. Going into a place with a frown on your face isn't how you attract others. They avoid you, especially if they are feeling a little down already.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Knew that when I was a teenager. Just like in a relationship. One can make the relationship better acting "as if" things are going okay, and they will with this thinking. It catches on, just like a smile. Going into a place with a frown on your face isn't how you attract others. They avoid you, especially if they are feeling a little down already.

I do it by myself combined with better posture if i need a boost. It works.

22 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

A smile means nothing.

And yet, you point out 2 different reasons and meanings for smiles... 

people will smile to hide their real feelings

ok, so there is one type of smile

Politicians smile because they know it makes people believe in what they say.

ok, now you have 2 types of smiles...

Just keep on going - can a smile be friendly?

Flirtatious? 

Hey, I am glad to see you...

Edited by 1FinickyOne

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And yet, you point out 2 different reasons and meanings for smiles... 

ok, so there is one type of smile

ok, now you have 2 types of smiles...

Just keep on going - can a smile be friendly?

Flirtatious? 

Hey, I am glad to see you...

When I said a smile means nothing, I meant you can't tell what they are thinking from just a smile, not that it has a meaning to them, because it does. The meaning can be friendly or not. Yes, a smile can mean they are being friendly towards you, or hide that they are prejudiced or have hatred. Only way to tell what a person is thinking is to ask them, and hope they reply truthfully.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

When I said a smile means nothing, I meant you can't tell what they are thinking from just a smile, not that it has a meaning to them, because it does. The meaning can be friendly or not. Yes, a smile can mean they are being friendly towards you, or hide that they are prejudiced or have hatred. Only way to tell what a person is thinking is to ask them, and hope they reply truthfully.

Eyes, body language, head posture. All giveaways. If you can't tell someone hates you that's a sign you arent paying attention.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Eyes, body language, head posture. All giveaways. If you can't tell someone hates you that's a sign you arent paying attention.

Again, outward expressions can mean little or nothing. People are very good at hiding feelings. Here especially to save face, although they don't practice what they preach most of the time, as the news shows. The best way to hit someone who deserves it is to smile at them, get close by soft talk, and then strike. It's been done countless times. Telegraphing a punch is how you lose fights. Just an example.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:59 AM, bignok said:

If you smile at people in Thailand they think you are friendly. In the west they think you are creepy if at woman and gay if at man. The west isnt a friendly place anymore.

It's a different world.

Yeah, you should try to go out more ???? 

56 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

oh my - do you have so little power of perception that you not only can't tell but don't believe that others can? A very booked learned type thing... Thai people are very perceptive... in general more so than Westerners but plenty of Westerners are perceptive too - but, it is probably not something that is being taught in school... have you never had a 'gut' feeling about something? 

Did you ever play poker? Didn't you ever use your sixth sense for anything? Do you not have feelings about things, people, events? 

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

oh my - do you have so little power of perception that you not only can't tell but don't believe that others can? A very booked learned type thing... Thai people are very perceptive... in general more so than Westerners but plenty of Westerners are perceptive too - but, it is probably not something that is being taught in school... have you never had a 'gut' feeling about something? 

Did you ever play poker? Didn't you ever use your sixth sense for anything? Do you not have feelings about things, people, events? 

I sense something right now

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Actually you're wrong again. Feelings mean very little. They can change with the wind, and aren't always legitimate. Moods change constantly, as do perceptions. Saying Thai people are very perceptive means you know people's thinking, which you don't. Anyone can be perceptive about things and be wrong or right. Saying Thai's are more perceptive than westerners means nothing, and isn't true. Many people are perceptive and can be right, but this is about smiles and the smiles here have been known to be deceptive many times, not only to me but to others I know.   I, and many others, have had gut feelings about something and haven't always been right. To put it bluntly, you can not always tell what someone is thinking by their facial expressions. You can only guess. It would have to be put to a test, with the other person's responses proven true. Smiles, especially here, aren't legitimate because like I mentioned before, people will do much not to let others know what they're thinking, to save face, to detract, and to fool. I've played poker thousands of times, and mostly won, although not for high stakes because I'm not a gambler or like to lose money .Perceptive people, and I'm one, can tell more than the average person what someone is thinking, but not always. No one can.

Edited by fredwiggy