Smiling at people

bignok

1 minute ago, bignok said:

On Lanta I saw lots of Russians. All the older ones no smiles. They looked miserable.

maybe they've had harsh lives.

russia also has some of the worst climate in the world. 

it might be miserable to live there. 

i don't smile that much anymore. 

it's not good to show everyone that you are too friendly.

it can be interpreted as a sign of weakness by unscrupulous people.  

unless you're in the tourist industry and you need to pick people's pockets.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

People sitting next to you on a plane don't talk to you anymore either. Why?

Because they never were really gagging to talk to you in the first place and the cell phone finally gave them an out. Walkman headphone wearers were the early adaptors of polite personal space.

If people don't want to smile or interact, I really want to support them in that.

I come from The South where someone standing at a crosswalk will be blankly smiling at cars going by. Which meant I had to smile back. At a person I'd be forgetting 30 seconds later.

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

People sitting next to you on a plane don't talk to you anymore either. Why?

Because they never were really gagging to talk to you in the first place and the cell phone finally gave them an out. Walkman headphone wearers were the early adaptors of polite personal space.

If people don't want to smile or interact, I really want to support them in that.

I come from The South where someone standing at a crosswalk will be blankly smiling at cars going by. Which meant I had to smile back. At a person I'd be forgetting 30 seconds later.

I talk to cute women.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

If you smile at people in Thailand they think you are friendly. In the west they think you are creepy if at woman and gay if at man. The west isnt a friendly place anymore.

It's a different world.

I don't think it has been for years, possibly decades.  The happiest countries are racially homogenous and highly patriotic.  I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think it has been for years, possibly decades.  The happiest countries are racially homogenous and highly patriotic.  I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is.

I went to Bhutan, the happiest place on earth. They were blissed out, sure, but also had a crazy oppressive apartheid against the dark skin transplants (which sounds very familiar).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I went to Bhutan, the happiest place on earth. They were blissed out, sure, but also had a crazy oppressive apartheid against the dark skin transplants (which sounds very familiar).

Yeah, I think when you move away from collectivism and towards individualism, collective happiness decreases, while individual suffering is reduced.  Something like that.

• Like 1

I think you get back what you put out. When you are in Thailand you have a happier energy but when you are in the island nation that you live in you are miserable and a smile does not cover that up.

When was the last time you were somewhere considered the west other than Oz?  A good morning, goedemorgen or buenos días with a smile usually gets one in return in most of the western countries I have had the pleasure of visiting. I think saying the west is not friendly is an extreme overgeneralization. 

• Like 2