Smiling at people

bignok

On 8/2/2023 at 8:16 AM, ignis said:

As everyone still wears masks how can anyone know if you smile at them ??

the EYES!!! oh man when u get a cute gal to smile thru the mask...was like some muslim lady i saw yest that was covered from head to toe and could only see her eyes..windows to the soul!

On 8/2/2023 at 7:59 AM, bignok said:

If you smile at people in Thailand they think you are friendly. In the west they think you are creepy if at woman and gay if at man. The west isnt a friendly place anymore.

It's a different world.

Not my experience of living in Australia for 48 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

the smiles here have been known to be deceptive many times, not only to me but to others I know.

I don't doubt that is your experience - 

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

you can not always tell what someone is thinking

Agree - nobody is right 100% and sorry if that was implied anywhere...  but you should be able to read the intentions of a smile more often than not... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

There's a lot of Russians in a bad place right now. Maybe smile and try to be nice would be the right thing to do?

Russians don't care about your smile.

They're very pragmatic people and they know your smile won't solve their problems. 

Could it be that the strange smiling beings that the honorable members here do not understand, have found peace in life, temporarily or for longer time. Maybe you should ask the Buddha?

Or are they just smiling to irritate Pita since neolibs build on adversity and anger ????

Except for phoney smiles maybe every smiling person has his/her own reason to smile? Maybe they are just on a good roll in life, for the time being.

Smiling at a girl in crazy town Pattaya can hardly be misinterpreted, at least not by much.

Edited by thailandsgreat

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

what's the signal?  

It varies with the type of smile and situation. And I acknowledge that I don't know enough to interpret it most of the time so I can't answer your question.

But fake it is not. It's telling you something if you are able to read the signal. Thais most certainly can.

25 minutes ago, BusyB said:

It varies with the type of smile and situation. And I acknowledge that I don't know enough to interpret it most of the time so I can't answer your question.

But fake it is not. It's telling you something if you are able to read the signal. Thais most certainly can.

maybe there's one that say's   ' i'm gunna fleece you as much as I can '    

33 minutes ago, steven100 said:

maybe there's one that say's   ' i'm gunna fleece you as much as I can '    

Some fairly similar ones in this list: they even have names apparently:

1. Yim thang nam taa: The “I’m so happy I’m crying” smile.
  2. Yim thak thaai: The “polite” smile for someone you barely know.
  3. Yim cheun chom: The “I admire you” smile.
  4. Fuen Yim: The stiff smile, also known as the “I should laugh at the joke though it’s not funny” Smile.
  5. Yim mee lessanai: The smile which masks something wicked in your mind.
  6. Yim yaw: The teasing, or “I told you so” smile.
  7. Yim yae-yae: The “I know things look pretty bad but there’s no point in crying over spilt milk” smile.
  8. Yim sao: The sad smile.
  9. Yim haeng: The dry smile, also known as the “I know I owe you the money but I don’t have it” smile.
  10. Yim thak thaan: The “I disagree with you” smile, also known as the “You can go ahead and propose it but your idea’s no good” smile.
  11. Yim cheua-cheuan: The “I am the winner” smile, the smile given to a losing competitor.
  12. Yim soo: “smiling in the face of an impossible struggle” smile.

I assume 'yim' means smile, but I stand happy to be corrected.

Edited by BusyB