Man Arrested in Patong for Selling Alcohol on Major Buddhist Day

webfact

It's the law no alcohol on Religious Buddha holidays 

It's been going on for years  no use complaining ????

Do what the Majority of Ex-Pats do buy alcohol.  before the days arrive they are on the calendar and announced well in advance ????

It's not hard 

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yah!!! I haven't seen a 'go back to your own country' post for quite a while now. Thank you for reviving the old and idiotic chestnut. You even call the poster a wifebeater. Well done for adding to your ignorance and stupidity. Not a bad effort in just two sentences.

I did not call the poster (transam) a wifebeater, Where did you get that from???????

If you don't understand a post, ask about it.

Feel free to apologize for your false and made up accusation against me.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, transam said:

This country has many religions, but one tells others what they can or cannot do.

In my country, there are a zillion religions, but none control the populace freedom of what they can or cannot consume...

Sorry, Trans, just as in the UK, Thailand does not tell the populace what they are allowed to consume in terms of alcohol sale bans.   They can drink themselves into oblivion every day of the year if they want to, it's just the selling of it that is not permitted.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

As I said before, you cannot see the point, which has nothing to do with a daily beer fix, it is about one's freedom, and not being controlled on one's personal consumption of anything via religion

No one's consumption of beer is controlled via religion in Thailand, either!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

What a serious crime....selling alcohol on a Buddhist day. Only in Thailand, not in other Buddhistic countries...KiIling, robbing, stealing, sex offences and fightings are less worse than selling alcohol on such days

In India, you can never sell alcohol in some states. 

I think this is a good law, if you have problems, maybe you have a problem with the bevvy. 

In Puri, I remember going crazy as I couldn't by beer, but the government shop sold me ganja and opium. 

13 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Do what the Majority of Ex-Pats do buy alcohol.  before the days arrive they are on the calendar and announced well in advance ????

It's not hard 

Some people just can't assimilate! 

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You forgot corruption, such as deliberately deleting patient records from a Sisiket hospital database so the hospital might buy a 3 million baht backup system from a no doubt connected party. But sell a beer - oh no!

That alleged corruption by the hospital wasn't legal, either, what are you talking about?!  You seem to be suggesting that is was permitted when it should not have been.

19 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I did not call the poster (transam) a wifebeater, Where did you get that from???????

Actually, you did, though obviously it was a typo.  You posted...

"Well if you are so dependent on alcohol, go back there .

Don't forget to pack you Chang wifebeater".

"Don't forget to pack you wifebeater" is accusing him of being a wifebeater!   

"Don't forget to pack your wifebeater is very different!

But I'm sure that he knew what you meant, really.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

So your country has never had half day closing on Sundays? (also religious).

I think IAH airport in Texas does not allow alcohol until noon on Sundays  due to county regs.

Doesn't Thai law specifically allow business class lounges and minimarts at International airports?

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

In India, you can never sell alcohol in some states. 

I think this is a good law, if you have problems, maybe you have a problem with the bevvy. 

In Puri, I remember going crazy as I couldn't by beer, but the government shop sold me ganja and opium. 

I have no problems at all, but I think as many don't... What is the matter? I can't sell or buy alcohol, but I can drink it. So why can't I buy it or sell it than??? Besides that Thailand wants to be a tourist attractive country.. Do you believe tourists will come if there is a alcohol ban ? If I go to another country and I sit on the beach at 15.00 and I want a beer I can buy one, but here impossible. Besides if there are a few Buddhistic holidays I even can't buy a Spy or so for my wife...no wine at dinner, no appetizer before dinner... Tourist attractive?? I don't think so. and the use of the law is unuseful as people still drink it and buy it before the ban. And in India and othe rparts of the world can be a alcohol ban but that is 365 days a year and not only on holidays

Edited by ikke1959
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

So your country has never had half day closing on Sundays? (also religious).

Mine did, until about 60 years ago. In fact, it was all day closing. Maybe Thailand and its pretend-we-are-Buddhists will catch up eventually and stop dictating when people can shop and when they can't.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I have no problems at all, but I think as many don't... What is the matter? I can't sell or buy alcohol, but I can drink it. So why can't I buy it or sell it than??? Besides that Thailand wants to be a tourist attractive country.. Do you believe tourists will come if there is a alcohol ban ? If I go to another country and I sit on the beach at 15.00 and I want a beer I can buy one, but here impossible. Besides if there are a few Buddhistic holidays I even can't buy a Spy or so for my wife...no wine at dinner, no appetizer before dinner... Tourist attractive?? I don't think so. and the use of the law is unuseful as people still drink it and buy it before the ban. And in India and othe rparts of the world can be a alcohol ban but that is 365 days a year and not only on holidays

The ban has nothing to do with tourists. It's because there is a huge alcohol problem in Thailand and many alcoholics got to the temple for 3 months at this time of year. Not selling alcohol helps. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Oh give me a break. Yes... It's a law.. I've been here many years... Your reply is childish. I'm well aware that I'm free to do many things...like block you for example 555. The fact the beer isn't sold on certain holidays and at certain hours is just insane. Just as insane as selling weed alongside a Thailand highway! 

They used to alcohol at the roadside pumps. 

My country, Scotland, it was illegal for pubs to open on Sundays when I was there. 

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

It's not hard 

Good post.

Some people just like to moan. 

How would I have felt if Asian tourists complained about my country's pubs closing on Sundays? I'd have said ''**** **** back to your own country".

What do I say to tourist in Thailand complaining of the alcohol laws, " ******  ***** ****** ** ***** **** *******"

5 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

But buying weed.. Ganga on any day at any hour is OK. 

You can actually buy weed at roadside stands ff. A! 

Absolutely ridiculous Thailand laws 

And they were also selling coffee at shops yesterday and full fat sugar drinks at roadside stalls, what's the world coming too.

How can coffee, sugar and cannabis be okay but alcohol not.  

Okay its a fairly absurd law, but lets get the comparisons correct.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yah!!! I haven't seen a 'go back to your own country' post for quite a while now. Thank you for reviving the old and idiotic chestnut. You even call the poster a wifebeater. Well done for adding to your ignorance and stupidity. Not a bad effort in just two sentences.

He has most likely had a few beers now Buddha Day is over Barry.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well if you are so dependent on alcohol, go back there .

Don't forget to pack you Chang wifebeater. :burp:

More guesswork, and still missing the point, but that's OK, I must make allowances................????..................  ????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

The problem is that I can see the point.

In Thailand it is illegal to sell alcohol on certain dates,

The law is very clear and everyone with half a brain knew that Tuesday (August 1st) was one of these days.

If you break the law you could be prosecuted.

Now, do you see the point?

Yes, Reverend..................:neus:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sorry, Trans, just as in the UK, Thailand does not tell the populace what they are allowed to consume in terms of alcohol sale bans.   They can drink themselves into oblivion every day of the year if they want to, it's just the selling of it that is not permitted.  

But, why is booze not permitted for sale....?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

C'mon, they can drink beer, wine, etc. also in Thailand, any day of the year.

In their own home, yes, but not out for dinner and a glass of wine, unless I have missed something, all these years....????

• Like 1