Constitutional Court Postpones Considering Pita’s Renomination Case

webfact

16 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

I'm shocked. I was expecting them to throw out the proposal, as there is precedent.

I suspect the court thought that if they didn't issue an injunction on the vote for tomorrow, that the MP's would sort it out amongst themselves in their rush to get their snouts in the trough. They didn't count on the Speaker of the House refusing to move on until the court issues a ruling.

The one good thing Pita managed to do before he got booted out... install an honest speaker of the house.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Aug 3 (TNA) – The Constitutional Court has decided to postponed considering the petition on the parliament’s rejection of the Move Forward party leader renomination as prime minister.

The court has rescheduled for August 16 to consider whether it will accept the case for deliberation after the Ombubsman lodged the petition, asking the court to rule whether the parliamentary vote to reject the renomination of Pita Limjaroenrat is unconstitutional.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1217112

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

People are missing the point.  The longer it takes to resolve the longer the military stays in control.

This gives them the time to dig up dirt on all 3 PT choices

• Thumbs Up 1

Hundreds of Thai legal scholars knew right from the get-go that the decision to block a candidate having a second vote for PM was unconstitutional.  Absolutely no reason that the Constitution Court, for heaven's sake, should also not know this immediately.  Their needing two more weeks--to do lord knows what, twiddle their thumbs counter-clockwise instead of clockwise?--on top of all the time they have already had, is just nuts. 

In the weeks before the very first vote for PM, there were stories about how many times Pita's name would be submitted to be voted on.   First it was thought to be two, then three times was mentioned, and I think there was talk about not setting a specific number.  Why didn't anyone, especially all those Constitution legal scholars,  step up then and say, hey, he can only be voted for once?  Nobody stepped up because it's clear that is not the case.  Delay, delay, delay for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, newnative said:

Hundreds of Thai legal scholars knew right from the get-go that the decision to block a candidate having a second vote for PM was unconstitutional.  Absolutely no reason that the Constitution Court, for heaven's sake, should also not know this immediately.  Their needing two more weeks--to do lord knows what, twiddle their thumbs counter-clockwise instead of clockwise?--on top of all the time they have already had, is just nuts. 

In the weeks before the very first vote for PM, there were stories about how many times Pita's name would be submitted to be voted on.   First it was thought to be two, then three times was mentioned, and I think there was talk about not setting a specific number.  Why didn't anyone, especially all those Constitution legal scholars,  step up then and say, hey, he can only be voted for once?  Nobody stepped up because it's clear that is not the case.  Delay, delay, delay for no reason.

Oh there may well be reasons for delay. The upcoming promotions of civil servants, army and police are due in August and September, and guess who remains in charge of those until there's a new PM?

Yes, Mr Prayuth.

I advise all posters to read Thitinan's excellent article published today in the paper that cannot be named.

• Like 1

6 days ago, Mr. Chuvit - the whistle-blower-in-chief, insisted that Thaksin would not return on August 10. His claim was roundly dismissed as "nonsense" by Thaksin's daughter. Judging from his past record, I tend to agree with Chuvit. He also predicted that no new Prime Minister will emerge on August 4 (today).

It seems to me, this guy already knows how this sorry saga will play out in the end.

Please somebody ask him who will be the new PM at some time in the future. It would put an end to  endless speculation, anguish and the enormous waste of time.

Edited by traveller101
Clarification
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Effectively kicking down the road again allowing more time for behind the scene bargaining so as to fit the old square pegs into round holes again.

Yes indeed.

Residing here across the border in Cambodia, it is amazing and hilarious to read of the Fred Carno antics within Thai politics. However there is a reason IMO. A recent and fascinating You Tube video was posted (outside of Thailand due to 112 no doubt) about the need by the top establishment to maintain control of the country with a military backed government and nothing less! Because of all the current mess and uncertainty (possibly "arrranged") another coup may be imminent. (I sincerely hope not for the sake of the ordinary folk).

Sadly, I cannot refer you to the YT video as I may be subject to 112 should I visit Thailand or have "men in black" following me to the Mekong!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, MrMojoRisin said:

Curiouser and curiouser…

The court moves very very quickly in some instances and very very slowly in others.

After MF has reformed 112 and the military, the courts will be next on the list

I know- it’s almost as if it was doing it on purpose!!!

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The one good thing Pita managed to do before he got booted out... install an honest speaker of the house.

Ermmmmm. He also won an election with a rampaging majority and was robbed of the place the Thai people voted for him to be in!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, Denim said:

Effectively kicking down the road again allowing more time for behind the scene bargaining so as to fit the old square pegs into round holes again.

And for the electorate, eager for rapid and radical change, to become apathetic and discouraged and less likely to do anything about it.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Which means diddly squat in Thai politics.

Unfortunately yes, but give it time - the younger generation are a lot better informed and radical - the radical element have previously been severely depressed, however this is starting to change. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1