South African Taken to Hospital After Disturbing Public in Patong

webfact

image.jpeg

Patong – A shirtless and shoeless South African man was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation after he caused a public nuisance.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that they were notified of the incident near a hotel on the Pracha Nukroh Road.

They arrived at the scene to find the foreign man who was identified by police as a South African but whose name was withheld due to medical reasons. He was talking loudly to himself and disturbing other people who were passing him. He appeared disoriented and confused.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/08/03/south-african-taken-to-hospital-after-disturbing-public-in-patong/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-08-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Patong – A shirtless and shoeless South African man was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation after he caused a public nuisance.

He was talking loudly to himself and disturbing other people who were passing him. 

Maybe the local thais were confused by a man asking 'Who stole my clothes and shoes' in Afrikana ?

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hope he gets the help he needs.

That said there has been a massive influx of South Africans into Asia, particularly Vietnam.

20 years ago I was excited to meet and spend time with South Africans, and Africans, being a passport holder of that country.

Over time the interest and excitement has faded, and I avoid South Africans altogether. 90% arrive with some sort of inferiority-superiority chip(s) on their shoulder(s).

I may as well give up my SA passport, and get my British passport, as I don't identify with 'Saffas' anymore. At least not the ones who pitch tent in Asia.

I'll still buy biltong from the Biltong Guy, couple times a year. That is the extent of my involvement with them. I'd rather chat to the Moroccans, Nigerians, Algerians, Zambians, etc. They seem to handle themselves better, without the chip(s), and annoying accent.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SirHonkersTheFirst said:

Hope he gets the help he needs.

That said there has been a massive influx of South Africans into Asia, particularly Vietnam.

20 years ago I was excited to meet and spend time with South Africans, and Africans, being a passport holder of that country.

Over time the interest and excitement has faded, and I avoid South Africans altogether. 90% arrive with some sort of inferiority-superiority chip(s) on their shoulder(s).

I may as well give up my SA passport, and get my British passport, as I don't identify with 'Saffas' anymore. At least not the ones who pitch tent in Asia.

I'll still buy biltong from the Biltong Guy, couple times a year. That is the extent of my involvement with them. I'd rather chat to the Moroccans, Nigerians, Algerians, Zambians, etc. They seem to handle themselves better, without the chip(s), and annoying accent.

Interesting take

What annoying accent? Mostly, I've noticed they have a sort of Queen's English accent or a neutral accent.

Sometimes you'll hear the Africans accent come out here and there.

I'm not sure about the superiority or inferiority chip on their shoulder, but if you are referring to white South Africans -and I'm guessing you are - didn't their government just decided to restrict water supply to white farmers?

I saw on the news the black South Africans had a massive rally and were all chanting "kill white people" (if the translation on the news is accurate).

I think if I came from I'd have a but more than a chip on my shoulder, lol. I'd be afraid of genocide.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Interesting take

What annoying accent? Mostly, I've noticed they have a sort of Queen's English accent or a neutral accent.

Sometimes you'll hear the Africans accent come out here and there.

I'm not sure about the superiority or inferiority chip on their shoulder, but if you are referring to white South Africans -and I'm guessing you are - didn't their government just decided to restrict water supply to white farmers?

I saw on the news the black South Africans had a massive rally and were all chanting "kill white people" (if the translation on the news is accurate).

I think if I came from I'd have a but more than a chip on my shoulder, lol. I'd be afraid of genocide.

It's an accent that I've taken a disliking to (in all forms). All the more so when the Afrikaners try to speak with an American twang, after convincing schools they speak "American English". They forget to turn it off when they walk out the kindy class. 

They've also driven down teaching wages, as they're more than happy to accept sub standard salaries. I consider them the (entitled) FOWs of Africa. No disrepect to the OG Filipino FOWs working hard around the world.

I guess everybody's gotta make bread, and this is an opportunity for me to upskill and/or walk away from the shambolic ESL industry in Asia. Industry being the operative word, as it a 100% a for-profit set-up, unless teaching at unis and non-profit organizations.

It's not just the white South Africans with the chip-laden shoulders, it's the South Africans who have arrived in recent years. I guess they're on the run, from whatever it may be - crime, joblessness, a decaying country. I'd have some sympathy, if they arrived with a more humble attitude.

Guess I'm a bit jaded. But I'd rather sit down with a non-South African for a chit-chat and drink/meal, or work and travel  and socialize with non-South Africans.

That said when I do visit SA, I have a ball of a time. South Africans in South Africa are awesome. South Africans in Asia playing 'Teacher Teacher' - not so much.

• Like 1