Non-B to Non-O within Thailand

I want to convert in a few months from a non-b to non-o within Thailand (Bangkok)

I read that I need to apply for the visa with at least two weeks remaining on your current extension of stay.

I believe the school can you set my work permit cancellation date and extension of stay to two weeks (or more)in advance

I plan to get insurance from AXA. Does my insurance dates need to exactly align with my application for Non-O visa (I want to purchase additional insurance than my school provides)

I plan to transfer 800,000 baht (or more) using Transwise at lease 2 months in advance.

I’m expecting to be transferring more money later for living a year)
I read 2000 baht for 3 months or 5000 baht for 1 year (do I need to leave the country every 3 months)

After the 3-months(or 1 year), with 800,000 in the bank, is it easy to get 1 year extension
Sorry for long message, but trying to cover everything 

Is the process complicated? Can I do it myself?

• Confused 3

Several of the points you raise are incorrect or not applicable for an in-country Visa application.

It would be helpful when you share more info about your current status by answering the questions rendered below. 

Note that all of these questions are relevant to provide you with a correct response on your queries.

• What's your age and nationality?
  • Are you married to a Thai national or have Thai dependant children?
  • In which province are your residing, and where do you plan to apply for the Visa/extension?
  • When and on which Visa did you enter Thailand?
  • What is the expiry date of the Permission to stay of your current Non Imm O Visa/extension?

If you are already on a Non Immigrant entry (which you are as your permission to stay is based on an original Non B visa):

1. You cannot apply for a new visa at Immigration. That is only possible when you are currently on an entry from a tourist visa or visa exemption.
  2. There is no need to have a new visa. Instead, when your existing permission to stay ends, you apply for a fresh extension, changing the reason for the extended permission to stay (in your case, presumably retirement or marriage).
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Short response to some of the points you raised:

10 hours ago, KruBrian said:

I read that I need to apply for the visa with at least two weeks remaining on your current extension of stay.

> You cannot apply for a new Visa at Immigration in Thailand, when already on a Non Imm B.  That change of Visa process is only possible when having entered VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, and applying when you have at least 15 days left on your Permission to stay.

I plan to get insurance from AXA. Does my insurance dates need to exactly align with my application for Non-O visa (I want to purchase additional insurance than my school provides)

> There is no need for any health-insurance when applying for a Non Imm O Visa (that requirement was introduced during the covid-restrications but is not applicable anymore, although the Thai eVisa website incorrectly still cites it as one of the requirements).

I plan to transfer 800,000 baht (or more) using Transwise at lease 2 months in advance.

You are refering to WISE (Transferwise was the previous name of the company providing the financial transfer services). 

When applying for a 90-day Non Imm O (retirement) Visa at Immigration, the +800.000,- THB need to be on your personal Thai bank-account with foreign origins proven at the moment of application.  When applying for the first extension of such Visa (retirement) the +800.000,- THB need to have been seasoned for at least 2 months, without ever having dropped under that tresshold.

I read 2000 baht for 3 months or 5000 baht for 1 year (do I need to leave the country every 3 months)

That is not an in-country Immigration requirement. It are the fees that need to be paid when applying for a SingleEntry or MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos. As the requirements are much simpler/easier when applying for a Non Imm O Visa there, and the Visa is delivered next day (without any under consideration period) this is a very popular and much used route. 

The 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa cannot be acquired when applying in Thailand at an Imm Office, and can only be applied for at some foreign Thai Embassies by using the Thai eVisa website (when in your home-country) OR at some Thai Embassies/Consulates in neighboring countries (the Savannakhet Consulate being by far the simplest to get hold of it).

11 hours ago, KruBrian said:

Is the process complicated? Can I do it myself?

The rules/regulations that need to be complied with are often complex and inconsistent (different rules/interpretation depending at which Imm office you apply). 

But when you are up-to-speed with the actual requirements for the particular Visa or extension you want to apply for at your local Imm Office, you can easily do it yourself.

In touristic Thai provinces you can also use a 'handholding service' from a Visa agent, that can check whether the required documentation your application is correct and complete. Of course you can also use this Forum to get information on the requirements that need to be complied with for the particular Visa/Extension you want to apply for. 

But in that case ALWAYS mention your personal details (age/nationality/Visa status) as well as the specific Visa/extension you want to play for and the Imm office where you plan to do this.

20 hours ago, KruBrian said:

I want to convert in a few months from a non-b to non-o within Thailand (Bangkok)

You don't need to apply for a new visa – you'll need to leave Thailand to do that – you are going to change your extension of stay based on work to one based on the conditions for retirement.

Your funds, 800k baht, needs to be deposited in a Thai bank account two month before you apply for extension of stay based on retirement. There is no rule that the money has come from abroad, you can in principle have saved the up domestically from your work salary.

I normally suggest – if you can afford it – just to leave the 800k baht deposit in a 12-month fixed bank account and withdraw the interest once a year, so the balance is always 800k baht. It makes it a lot more ease for the immigration officer to check your funds; and also yourself, as you can sleep well without thinking about when to top up from 400k to 800k before next extension of stay.

There is no claim for health insurance – it's only when you originally entered on a non-OX visa for retirement – but it's always advisable to have one.

Additional information 

I am 63 years old and a US citizen. I entered Thailand on a non-B visa and have maintained a valid work permit and getting extension of stay through my school. My school will extend my permission to stay again soon. I am living in Bangkok.

I am planning to retire at the end of March 2023. I am trying to do all my research now to make the transition to retirement easier.

I feel like I’m getting different information. I entered on a non-B, can I get an extension for retirement or do I need to change to a Non-O. Can I do it without leaving Thailand?

When I don’t renew my next contract, my school will need to arrange a date to cancel my work permit and my extension of stay. They are very cooperative and will assist me on choosing the date

I heard before that transfers from Wise did not show up as an international transfer, But on the website it says if I mark it correctly it will show as international transfer. Anyone with experience?

I’ve heard rumors before that if the 800,000 is in the bank for several months before applying they don’t care where it came from, but others say it must be an international transfer

I know rules between different immigration offices are different and in the next six months everything may change

Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, KruBrian said:

Additional information 

I am 63 years old and a US citizen. I entered Thailand on a non-B visa and have maintained a valid work permit and getting extension of stay through my school. My school will extend my permission to stay again soon. I am living in Bangkok.

I am planning to retire at the end of March 2023. I am trying to do all my research now to make the transition to retirement easier.

I feel like I’m getting different information. I entered on a non-B, can I get an extension for retirement or do I need to change to a Non-O. Can I do it without leaving Thailand?

When I don’t renew my next contract, my school will need to arrange a date to cancel my work permit and my extension of stay. They are very cooperative and will assist me on choosing the date

I heard before that transfers from Wise did not show up as an international transfer, But on the website it says if I mark it correctly it will show as international transfer. Anyone with experience?

I’ve heard rumors before that if the 800,000 is in the bank for several months before applying they don’t care where it came from, but others say it must be an international transfer

I know rules between different immigration offices are different and in the next six months everything may change

Thank you for your help

It should be easy for you to make the transition in March 2024. At the same time your work permit and permission to stay based on working are cancelled, you apply for a new one-year permission to stay based on retirement. Make sure you have 800,000 baht in a bank account in your name continuously for at least two months prior to that date.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KruBrian said:

When you have a Kasikorn or BangkokBank account - both being partner-banks of WISE - and in the drop-down box when transferring the funds you opt for 'Funds for long-term stay'  the funds will have a bank-code in your Thai bank pass-book indicating that it are international transfers.  

It is recommended that you also make use of the option to print-out a WISE-transaction document showing that the funds originated from your account abroad, as most Imm Offices do accept that WISE transaction-document as proof of foreign origin of the funds..

Note: If you have another Thai bank than Kasikorn or BangkokBank, it will be a lot messier to prove the foreign origins of the funds to your personal Thai bank-account.  This for two reasons:

#1 - To other Thai banks you can only transfer max 50.000,- THB per transaction - so you would have to do 16 transactions in order to reach the 800.000,- THB.

#2 - Transfers to other banks, are routed via one of the WISE partner-banks and will thus show up as 'domestic' transfers on your non-KK or BKB Thai bank-account.  And if you need to show their foreign origins, you would have to go to the WISE partner-bank through which they were routed and request that they provide you with a document that that WISE partner-bank  transfered the funds from your foreign bank-account (received via WISE) to your Thai bank-account. 

= = =

It is correct that if the funds have already been long-time seasoned on your personal Thai bank-account, that there is no need to prove their foreign origins anymore.  But 'long-time' will of course depends on the interpretation of the local Imm Office where you would apply, so better check with them of what they deem acceptable. 

And in your case, the funds that you received as legal salary from your teaching-assignment, should normally be accepted as not needing proof of 'foreign origins'. 

I have both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank. I keep less than $10,000 in Thailand just because I’m lazy to report if it exceeds that. In January I will probably transfer at least ฿800,000 to Bangkok Bank using Wise (and mark for long-term stay)

I believe I can keep the money in a certificate account get a little higher interest as long as I can withdraw anytime I want(and loose interest)

I’m confused. I think some people have said I need to leave the country and get a Non-O, but  other people have said can just change the reason for extension of stay (in Bangkok) to retirement. If I can do it in Bangkok, what form do I need to complete? I assume I need copies of my bank book and the letter from the bank stating my up-to-date balance.

if I need to leave the country, what do I tell the visa run company I want to get?

I will have insurance because I think it is important to have

I think other teachers that have left, the school takes them to immigration a couple weeks before the final date and get the stamp for the final date. This gives a couple weeks to plan the transition.

3 minutes ago, KruBrian said:

I’m confused. I think some people have said I need to leave the country and get a Non-O, but  other people have said can just change the reason for extension of stay (in Bangkok) to retirement. If I can do it in Bangkok, what form do I need to complete? I assume I need copies of my bank book and the letter from the bank stating my up-to-date balance.

if I need to leave the country, what do I tell the visa run company I want to get?

There is no need to leave the country.

You use the standard TM7 form to apply for the extension.

If you are already in Thailand on a non immigrant entry (which you are) you can directly get an extension of stay based on retirement.

At the time when you visit Immigration to cancel your permission to stay based on working, you can at the same time apply for a new extension of your permission to stay using form TM7. The main requirement (for this first extension based on retirement) is that you have 800,000 baht in your name only in a Thai bank account that has been there for at least two months. This can be any account that allows the money to be withdrawn on demand with the only penalty being loss of interest.

There is documentation around the financial proof that Immigration at Chaengwattana will want to see. The bank branches in Government Centre are familiar with what you need.

32 minutes ago, KruBrian said:

I’m confused. I think some people have said I need to leave the country and get a Non-O, but  other people have said can just change the reason for extension of stay (in Bangkok) to retirement.

I did this in-country many moons ago, but it was a bit of a work-up because you can't be "retired" when you still have a work permit. In my case this involved getting the WP cancelled at the Labour Office. As soon as the WP was cancelled, the permission to stay lapsed, and I had a frantic drive from the Labour Office at Chonburi (my employment was based in Pattaya) to the Immigration Office at Rayong to make the retirement application the same day. The IO there said he couldn't cancel the Permission to stay, which was issued in Jomtien, I had to go there first. Bright and early the next morning I was at Jomtien, where the IO did the necessary in a couple of minutes, and said, "They will fine you 1000 baht overstay at Rayong". Back at Rayong they reckoned it as a 2000 baht 2-day overstay, all official, written up in a book which I had to sign, but then proceeded to issue me with a retirement extension, no problem.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help. It doesn’t sound that difficult.

i’ve seen other teachers that have terminated the contract and they go to labor department (cancel work permit) and immigration about 1-2 weeks before their last day.

I will transfer at least the minimum 800,000B to Bangkok bank marked for long term stay in January. I will have the health insurance for my own protection.

My contract ends at the end of March. I think they will set the cancellation date a couple weeks after that.

At the end of March (beginning of April) I will go to Bangkok Bank at immigration building and ask for a letter verification of deposit (I’ve heard needs to be same day) Need update bank book also same day? ( copies of bank book last page?)

Complete TM7 and listen reason for extension as Retirement and make many useless copies (passport title page, my visa I entered on, my last extension). Bring pictures.

My school might help me, but they may not know about retirement extensions.

Since everything has always been done in Bangkok, I think no problem.

If my work permit and permission to stay is marked 15 April, can I go on 7 April and do everything. (My last pay deposit should be 31 March.

A visa agent said they would do it for ฿35,000 and not need to worry about deposit or health insurance. That seems a little expensive when it doesn’t sound that difficult.

5 hours ago, KruBrian said:

If my work permit and permission to stay is marked 15 April, can I go on 7 April and do everything. (My last pay deposit should be 31 March.

Your planned timing seems appropriate, and should work. Worst case, if you have a problem on April 7, ask the officials what they want you to do to fix things to their satisfaction. There might be some bumps in the road, but what you want to do is absolutely possible.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

They will fine you 1000 baht overstay at Rayong". Back at Rayong they reckoned it as a 2000 baht 2-day overstay, all official, written up in a book which I had to sign,

Seeing as the fine for a 2 day overstay is 1000, them fining you 2000 hardly seems "official".