Rice prices skyrocket in Thailand due to drought effects and export ban

webfact

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

Thai logic is a wonderous thing. When you can't sell (Export ban); put the price up. When I studied economics many moons ago if there was a supply glut the price went down. Not here!

There isn't a supply glut.

I guess that India's export ban has pushed up global prices and created more demand for Thailand's rice. If Thailand exports more rice, there is less supply for the domestic market

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Lucky my daily diet doesn't rely on rice.

You're misinformed. If a diet did rely on rice, even at much higher prices, most people would save money. A kg of dry rice makes 2kg of food, about 3650 calories. I'm not suggesting you eat rice alone, but more rice in your diet will save you money. Other than pure lard, rice is the cheapest food per calorie.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loong said:

There isn't a supply glut.

I guess that India's export ban has pushed up global prices and created more demand for Thailand's rice. If Thailand exports more rice, there is less supply for the domestic market

That is correct, it happened 10-12 years ago? a world shortage of rice a blip in the trade for a few months.

So, Thailand just exported more, just thinking how much money the exporters could make, and the rice price for the domestic market increased, a lot of people were not happy.

History about to repeat itself.