Brit left with one leg shorter than other after botched surgery in Thailand

snoop1130

I too had a motorbike accident in Thailand in 2014. Apart from a few broken bones in my right hand, I fractured the clavicle (collar bone) on my right side shouder and also dislocted my left wrist, and in addition I tore the rotator cuff on my left side shouder from cartwheeling down the road. Luckily I had a bloody good crash helmet on with the chin strap fastened... The helmet and face shield we destroyed, but my head was intact...

Needless to say I was in a lot of pain for many weeks, and felt pretty helpless. I was treated at a local clinic, this cost  plus repairs to the rented bike wiped my small emegrency fund out! Unfortunatly,  I had no exrta additional money available for surgery to repair my clavical, and as I was feeling so down with the pain, I never even thought about crowd funding at that time! I suppose it's too late now! LOL

Luckily there were lots of friendy young bar girls to keeep my mind off my problems...????

I still to this day, have a decent sized lump on my collar bone, like a mini version of Quasimodo, which serves as a (still) painfull reminder to slow down and take care...

Although I do feel sorry for this young guy, and I may even consider sending him a few quid.

I think he should seriousy re-consider his plans for a future in the ring as a professional. 

Lets face facts, even if he did raise enough money for another operaton, there is no guarantee that it would be successful.

I suggest that he takes another path in life and becomes a physical trainer/manager, or a gym owner, etc.

That way he can use his own experience and pass that forward to help others and maybe even become some sort of internet influencer if he so choses.

After all, he has all the information/experience for an interesting story line.

Good luck Connor...

Had the opp  and found out his leg is shorter than the other.The hospital should fix the mistake if something went wrong.Now he is going on go fund me for help to sort it,he must think people are idiots here and will donate for his new bike to get around.Because if the hospital made the mistake they should do  it and no money involved

• Thumbs Up 1

The medias report and re report of the horrific thai roads that are amongst the worst and most reckless in the world.

Yet one always finds those from the west who consider that they are above the average and untouchable.

Hope things get back to normal or rather to shape for the victim.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the American V/logger in Thailand who brought is 70 year old mother to retire here. Last month the video was titled  " mum lives like a millionairess on small pension". Next video was "mum has road accident and needs hip replacement". Next video was "thanks to all the people who used the gofundme to pay for her 15,000 US operation.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:06 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

<deleted> happens in surgery, as I know full well having worked in a surgical theatre.

The solution isn't moaning about it but to find the best solution, and seems like the best solution in his case is an amputation. Millions live successful lives after amputation.

The problem seems to me that he wants to continue being a ring fighter, and he needs to move on from that.

It's not like he's the only one had that problem.

I agree! Not being able to compete is too ****** bad. In my case, I had the accident at age 23 when I was trying to compete in Olympic Lifting. Plans change - it's life. In my friend's case which I detailed earlier in this thread, the surgeon actually admitted to a mistake, and his 2nd operation was free. To the surgeon's defence, they are human and make mistakes, or perhaps, not succeed to the level they expected.

In the OP's case, it's quite possible they did the best they could do and he wasn't happy with the outcome. After serious smashes one can't expect to be like brand new again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:31 AM, snoop1130 said:

A British Muay Thai boxer was left with one leg 3cm shorter than the other after undergoing surgery

If he tries to go after the hospital , he be running around in circles :tongue:

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I agree! Not being able to compete is too ****** bad. In my case, I had the accident at age 23 when I was trying to compete in Olympic Lifting. Plans change - it's life. In my friend's case which I detailed earlier in this thread, the surgeon actually admitted to a mistake, and his 2nd operation was free. To the surgeon's defence, they are human and make mistakes, or perhaps, not succeed to the level they expected.

In the OP's case, it's quite possible they did the best they could do and he wasn't happy with the outcome. After serious smashes one can't expect to be like brand new again.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

We grow up with the myth that everything can be fixed.

But in reality everything can't be fixed 100% and the best sometimes you can hope for is, you're not dead and the outcome leaves with a decent quality of life

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 6:56 AM, KhunLA said:

Why would it be free.  Live with your decisions & consequences.  Want free healthcare, stay in the UK.  

If he wasn't a ranked fighter already, continuing with an already multiple busted up leg, isn't exactly the best career path .. IMHO

I mean it was not free, he paid, and if the surgery was done badly i would understand his complaint.
I talk from experience as i was blinded by a doctor here who demanded money to try and save my sight. 

• Confused 1

On 8/9/2023 at 5:02 AM, 1duckyboy said:

Broke my femur into three pieces in motorbike accident in America. The leg wound up 1cm. shorter. The femur is the strongest bone in your body and it takes a great deal to break it. He's lucky he's still alive. *^#@ happens, especially on a motorbike in Thailand.

The length difference can be corrected by a procedure called the Illizarov Technique that was invented in Russia.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:36 AM, AngryMan said:

I too had a motorbike accident in Thailand in 2014. Apart from a few broken bones in my right hand, I fractured the clavicle (collar bone) on my right side shouder and also dislocted my left wrist, and in addition I tore the rotator cuff on my left side shouder from cartwheeling down the road. Luckily I had a bloody good crash helmet on with the chin strap fastened... The helmet and face shield we destroyed, but my head was intact...

Needless to say I was in a lot of pain for many weeks, and felt pretty helpless. I was treated at a local clinic, this cost  plus repairs to the rented bike wiped my small emegrency fund out! Unfortunatly,  I had no exrta additional money available for surgery to repair my clavical, and as I was feeling so down with the pain, I never even thought about crowd funding at that time! I suppose it's too late now! LOL

Luckily there were lots of friendy young bar girls to keeep my mind off my problems...????

I still to this day, have a decent sized lump on my collar bone, like a mini version of Quasimodo, which serves as a (still) painfull reminder to slow down and take care...

Although I do feel sorry for this young guy, and I may even consider sending him a few quid.

I think he should seriousy re-consider his plans for a future in the ring as a professional. 

Lets face facts, even if he did raise enough money for another operaton, there is no guarantee that it would be successful.

I suggest that he takes another path in life and becomes a physical trainer/manager, or a gym owner, etc.

That way he can use his own experience and pass that forward to help others and maybe even become some sort of internet influencer if he so choses.

After all, he has all the information/experience for an interesting story line.

Good luck Connor...

Well, you're right, stuff happens in life and you just take another path.

This young man is not the first athlete to have sustained some physical injury that precludes them from continuing in their sport.

You just pick yourself up and do something different.

All the Gofundme stuff is nonsense.

By the time, if he even gets the money, surgery can correct this, he'll be way past his prime and a whole new generation of young pups will have taken his place

Just go home get a decent job and move on

Had an Italian friend who crashed motorbike in UK.  He was in hospital 6 months, came out with one leg shorter than the other.  He was grateful for that, he said in Italy, they would have probably amputated his leg, unless he was near a major city

On 8/9/2023 at 8:06 AM, Ralf001 said:

Ive had 2 surgeries this year, both times had to sign some paperwork.

Is this just a Thailand thing ?.... I assumed it was common(ish) world over.

I do not think it is just here. In Saudi my Son had to have an operation for a broken arm, I had to sign a mountain of papers first, both Arabic & English. Who knows what the Arabic paper said.

19 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not think it is just here. In Saudi my Son had to have an operation for a broken arm, I had to sign a mountain of papers first, both Arabic & English. Who knows what the Arabic paper said.

Yeah the person I qouted is a Thailand basher.. not sure why the person is even on this forum.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, sirineou said:

If he tries to go after the hospital , he be running around in circles :tongue:

He's looking at this wrong.

Thanks to the wonderful medical procedure, he now has one leg LONGER than the other.

Shirley, that must be a great advantage as a kickboxer!

• Haha 1