Bibby Stockholm: Asylum seekers warned over failure to board Dorset barge

Social Media

image.png

Asylum seekers have been told boarding the Bibby Stockholm barge is "not a choice" and those who refuse will no longer receive government support.

The first group of 15 people boarded the vessel on Monday, but 20 refused.

If they do not move on to the accommodation barge by the end of Tuesday, their housing assistance could be withdrawn, government sources said.

Treasury minister Andrew Griffiths said they would "effectively take themselves out of the asylum support system".

Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said the threat to withdraw state-funded support was "unlikely" to be illegal.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "That is something that the courts would have to consider but I think it's unlikely, bluntly, that it would be illegal to do so but all cases are considered on their facts.

"What is perfectly legal is for the British people to say this is what we are offering and it's not four-star accommodation but it is perfectly safe, it's perfectly decent and it complies with the fire safety checks and goodness knows what.

"It is sparse and it is a bit austere but, frankly, that is not unreasonable."

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Obviously a legal challenge is coming.

It will be interesting to see just what are the grounds for a legal challenge.

It is not exactly a prison ship bobbing around in open water, anchored offshore; rather prefabricated  accommodation units on a barge moored alongside a jetty in a sheltered dock. 

They will of course find it much more difficult to "disappear" into the community irrespective of their immigration status - perhaps their real concern?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I don't. You have (deliberately) missed/twisted the point I was making. Disingenious in the extreme.

Of course I would prefer the struggling ex-military got to stay in the 4 star hotels that the immigrants are currently getting. But since that is not a realistic option, if I was given the choice between an ungrateful asylum seeker getting an (allegedly sparse) place on the barge, or ex-military getting it, I'd give it to the ex-military. It's got to be better than living on the streets which unfortunately is where some of them end up after serving our country, many of them during Blair's illegal/immoral invasion of Iraq based on WMD lies.

Virtue signaling ‘ex military’.

This Government has it in its power to help the ex military if it chooses to do so.

Nothing at all whatsoever to do with asylum seekers.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Virtue signalling? Ooohh look at yooouuuu.????

Of course it is 'to do with' it.

If all the housing is taken up with asylum seekers there is none left for British people who need it. Same as school places, hospital beds etc. 

Exactly.

I saw a photo of British homeless sleeping on the streets outside a 4 star hotel filled with illegals (who were actually complaining about the hotel conditions in a video online, lol).

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Virtue signalling? Ooohh look at yooouuuu.????

Of course it is 'to do with' it.

If all the housing is taken up with asylum seekers there is none left for British people who need it. Same as school places, hospital beds etc. 

Throw in a housing crisis red-herring.

14 years to fix it, not fixed, so let’s blame asylum seekers and give the Government a free pass on another one of its failures.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeah riiiight, what you don't realise is that these AS-ers have paid a lot of money to get to the island with streets of gold, now they are here, they are scratching their heads wondering where they are. 

It is folk like you that are stringing the dilemma out, if the UK had a vote on it, your lot, the anti-Brit Brits, would be stuffed...........????

That doesn’t get you out of your baseless accusation.

So you move directly to the ad hominem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Exactly.

I saw a photo of British homeless sleeping on the streets outside a 4 star hotel filled with illegals (who were actually complaining about the hotel conditions in a video online, lol).

Perhaps you did, perhaps you saw nothing of the sort.

The absence of any links suggests the latter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps you did, perhaps you saw nothing of the sort.

The absence of any links suggests the latter.

You aren't aware Britain has homeless?

You aren't aware asylum seekers are arriving on boats without documents and then being out into hotels?

I find this very hard to believe.

• Like 1

I hope the idea is to fill 'The Barge' which is called a Floatel in the private sector, and highly sought after, with 500 odd ASs, then quietly one night, tow it back to France and use the words the English bowmen used to use to the French, and show them that they still had two fingers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You aren't aware Britain has homeless?

You aren't aware asylum seekers are arriving on boats without documents and then being out into hotels?

I find this very hard to believe.

I’m aware of both.

I’m also aware that Britain has a housing crisis and that this was not caused by asylum seekers, regardless of how they arrived.

Could money spent housing asylum seekers be spent elsewhere? Yes of course.

So get on, clear the applications, pass bona fide asylum seekers into society where they can work to keep themselves, contribute and pay taxes. 

Deport those found to be bogus asylum seekers.

Would money saved by doing this be spent on the homeless?

I very much doubt it, certainly not by this Government.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Well, it took several years to end freedom of movement due to the losers refusing to accept the democratic will of the people after Brexit. Years/Billions were wasted on that...

Once we'd done that, the government have tried deporting people many times and they get blocked at every turn by the left leaning judicial system. Look at the Rwanda debacle. Years and millions wasted on court battles.

Then we've got the French authorities refusing to stop the people smuggling gangs on their side. So even if we deported them, more are coming every day.

It's not as simple as just "blame the Tories for not building houses".

So you don’t like Government being held accountable to the law.

I think we got that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Why do you want struggling ex military to live in sparse and austere accommodation? Do you not think that our government owes them more than that?

Ex military would be used to it. When I joined up there were 18 in a room and all you got was a bed and a wooden locker & wardrobe. They had to refurbish the accommodation when Stradishall was converted from an RAF base to an open prison.

It does not matter what you think the government owes them or anyone else, they will only ever do what they think will attract more votes.

• Thumbs Up 1