Rice price hikes worry restaurant owners, some pass costs to diners

snoop1130

2_rm5c4jP.jpg

Rice prices have begun to climb, causing restaurateurs concern about the cost of producing made-to-order meals. Despite this, some restaurants have opted not to increase prices, sympathising with their customers. They are instead appealing to the government to control the cost.

The Ministry of Commerce directed related agencies to balance rice prices after a lull in rainfall from El Niño and India’s suspension of rice exports, causing global market costs to rise.

Piriya Liaochareon, owner of a made-to-order food restaurant located in Ban Pong District, Ratchaburi Province, says that she has been running her business for six years with the majority of her customers from local communities. She set the sale price for rice dishes at 30 baht per plate, with some deluxe meal choices priced between 40 to 50 baht, reported KhaoSod.

Each month, she has to buy two 15-kilogramme bags of unprocessed rice to sell to her customers and for family consumption. The sales price in July was 320 baht per bag. However, at the beginning of August, the selling price of rice was adjusted, an increase of 35 baht per bag. This makes a total of 355 baht, which equates to 2 baht per kilogramme.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: The cost of rice is rising, as restaurants fight to profit without raising their prices. (via KhaoSod)

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/rice-price-hikes-worry-thai-restaurant-owners-but-not-all-pass-costs-to-consumers

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

So the price has gone up 2 baht a kilo (actually, on the figures given, its gone up 2.33). What's the average serving size of a plate of rice? Somewhere between 100-200g? She could add 1 baht to the price of each dish and make an extra profit from it.

What a non-story.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, nahkit said:

So the price has gone up 2 baht a kilo (actually, on the figures given, its gone up 2.33). What's the average serving size of a plate of rice? Somewhere between 100-200g? She could add 1 baht to the price of each dish and make an extra profit from it.

What a non-story.

When was the last time that you saw an increase of 1 Baht for a meal?

With the rice price increase, it probably means an additional cost of 20 or 30 Satang per meal, but they would increase the cost to the customer by 5 or even 10 Baht.

30 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Ah cultures!

I (Oz) was brought up with the "Biafrans are starving" mentality to make sure I ate those horrible veggies.

Now. Whatever is served up, self cooked, wifey or outside service, my plate is clean as when I am finished.????????

Well I certainly got that growing up... but I make my own decisions now. Eating it simply because it is there when not hungry, and getting fat, doesn't make sense to me. Too hot to be fat around here!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I certainly got that growing up... but I make my own decisions now. Eating it simply because it is there when not hungry, and getting fat, doesn't make sense to me. Too hot to be fat around here!

Jacko. I am now confused. You make your own decisions (?), but you don't eat when the food is there if you are not hungry?

Who's decision was it to put the food there?

And....eating food does not = getting fat.????????

8 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Who's decision was it to put the food there?

My ladie's or the restaurant's... my own decision is how much of it to eat. As a child my father helped to make the decision.. I was always hungry anyhow though!

I know for sure eating too much food = getting fat...  ever been to the USA?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Another price rise?

Khao Man Gai in the local style place up the road from my condo has risen from 35 Baht to 50 Baht in 2 years. Surely that should cover it?

It sure might seem but it doesn't! 

My wife owns a restaurant Majority I run around buying supplies for the place I've seen it first hand as you noted and dis as you noted Use to be 30 now 50, but here is s small break down a tank of gas for cooking use to be 320, today it is 420 plus,  many of the supplies needed that go unnoticed are delivered by trucks although Diesel subsidies by government use to be 21 baht today it is over 30 baht. Palm oil use to be 24-26 baht today you be lucky to get a bottles of the cheap at 48.  Plastic bags, boxes, spoons sugar, salt even soap has all got up.

Yes you can cut back a bit on the rice go to a cheaper brand or type but Asians who love their rice can tell, I'm Asian not a rice eater I can tell.  Then there are clueless like everywhere Thais even here with internet today just a few days ago a report that a customer gave a bad review the owner went as far to track the customer down confront the customer felt he/she didn't get the portion that was advertised. I've heard Thais complain about rice being charge a baht over the market so they boycott to a point their kids get no rich,  they will drive around wasting gas to prove a point.  

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

rice is just as bad for you as white bread is.

cut out the carbs and eat only beef and red wine everyday.

you'll feel like a million dollars after a month.

Tried it. Not bad but how do I get rid of the teats growing on my scrotum?