Scottish man becomes latest victim of Thailand’s perilous roads

snoop1130

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The reason you gave up riding motorcycles is the reason most people use them - the convenience of getting through traffic quickly rather than spending hours in an airconditioned car on roads that resemble parking lots... and burning up fuel that costs the equivalent of milk. My last 3 liters cost 150 baht, more than I pay for milk.

I prefer my safety these days. My reactions and awareness isn't as sharp as it was when I was last on track. It's a shame a few more can't be as honest with themselves.... might live a bit longer. Thankfully I don't need to worry too much about paying more for fuel than milk.... and I drink gallons of the stuff! ???????????? I also prefer to walk wherever I can, for the exercise.

I still keep my bike in the UK, and will never sell it... had it for 28 years now, and fully restored it, but rarely use it even though [as bad as they are] the roads in the UK are infinitely better than Thailand. I just got older and wiser. Nice open top sports car these days for a similar feeling when I want it.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My wife cautions me to be careful and slow down every time I take the motorcycle out, even though she knows that I am a very experienced and careful rider. Some wives care you know!

Reading his profile, he doesn't sound like the reckless sort to me, but he had flown in from Scotland the previous day. Fatigue and jet lag could well have been contributing factors.

A few days ago I needed to go to and get some metal primer paint. The shop is about 5 km down the road. As I picked up the helmet, and keys, my Wife asked me what I was doing. When I explained She would not let me. She insisted I took the truck, saying there are too many idiots on these roads around here, you are safer in the truck....

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

To be fair to Thailands roads( which are indeed perilous) this accident as described, is all about rider error rather than roads

That's fair. It's the users that are usually the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:
21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My wife cautions me to be careful and slow down every time I take the motorcycle out, even though she knows that I am a very experienced and careful rider. Some wives care you know!

31 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

A few days ago I needed to go to and get some metal primer paint. The shop is about 5 km down the road. As I picked up the helmet, and keys, my Wife asked me what I was doing. When I explained She would not let me. She insisted I took the truck, saying there are too many idiots on these roads around here, you are safer in the truck....

I'm sure my wife would say the same if we had the option, but we don't have a car so It's motorcycle or do without! Fortunately we live in a fairly quite part of the country and I know the roads very well.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“The Scottish man’s unnamed Thai wife expressed shock over the incident. She told the Thai media that he had flown in from Scotland for one of his regular holidays in Thailand, arriving just a day before the accident. She recounted her disbelief, admitting she had always urged him to exercise caution while riding the motorbike.”

From a large number of posts it seems people consider the Scot to be deficient: drunk, inexperienced rider, jet-lagged and more.

However, from the report it’s clear he made regular visits to LoS, and would have used the bike before - note his wife saying she was always telling him to exercise caution while riding the motorbike.

I ride locally (albeit slowly and on the left) and have to take care, constantly keeping my wits about me. For people who don’t ride here they won’t realise it can be possible for a bike to swerve without explanation on these sometimes perilous roads.

9 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Always the same story:

Foreigner comes to Thailand, the land of the free.....

Biking without helmet on a scooter. Brain left at home.

Even wearing helmet you are in danger on a scooter in Thailand. When will farangs learn? Buy a car and have some protection. It cost some bucks more but probably not your life!

RIP scotsman.

How do you he does not own a car ?

Ready the article it implies his wife lives here and he is a frequent visitor... possibly he lives here to and is FiFo.

Edited by Ralf001

On 8/11/2023 at 1:01 AM, 2long said:

His motorcycle veered into the opposite lane = he rode on the wrong side of the road, against oncoming traffic. Or am I misreading something?

Maybe something distracted him or caused him to try to avoid something, we might never know 

On 8/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, Denim said:

Does sound like he was not wearing a helmet.

An almost identical accident happened here in Petchabun a couple of years ago. Didn't make the news anywhere. Swedish guy only here a week wandered into oncoming lane and died in head on collision.

No helmet.

9 out of 10 foreigners I see riding around here don't  wear a helmet. Presumably they think on a short journey with little traffic a helmet is over the top. A very foolish assumption. 

In Sweden they drive on the right so lack of concentration can cause you to make a mistake. However, in Scotland they drive on the left, the same as Thailand. Absolute madness not to wear a helmet in any circumstances.

1 minute ago, Jaggg88 said:

In Sweden they drive on the right so lack of concentration can cause you to make a mistake. However, in Scotland they drive on the left, the same as Thailand. Absolute madness not to wear a helmet in any circumstances.

In this case , witnesses said the Swede had forgotten to push up the side stand.  As he came over a bridge and leant left into a bend he must have heard the metal scaping and in a panic leant the bike upright again causing it to veer into the front of an oncoming saloon car in the other lane. Result...head on collision with hime flying over the handle bars and shattering the cars windscreen with his head. Tragic but with a helmet he may have survived..

I posted a thread on this forum about it trying to warn others to wear a helmet. Here is the aftermath:

P_20190221_132239_1_1_1.jpg

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

How do you he does not own a car ?

Ready the article it implies his wife lives here and he is a frequent visitor... possibly he lives here to and is FiFo.

I didn't say he got no car. ......but died on his bike, isn't it?

Wife or not is not relevant, but being a foreigner who risked his life and lost that game.                    

On 8/11/2023 at 6:39 PM, ArnieP said:

I ride locally (albeit slowly and on the left) and have to take care, constantly keeping my wits about me. For people who don’t ride here they won’t realise it can be possible for a bike to swerve without explanation on these sometimes perilous roads.

I've been riding here, on a variety of roads from country lanes to main highways for 9 years and never once had my motorcycle 'swerve without explanation'.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:02 AM, tmd5855 said:

You can make it a death wish.

I am 68, lived here 19 years and always rode bikes, present bike bike is a modified, single seat, Ninja 650 that can do 160kph (on the speedo) in 4th gear before clicking into 5th..

But, the secret to survive is scan ahead continuously and expect the car drivers to have had a frontal lobotomy and the dark glasses Somsak is wearing on his 125cc are welding goggles. 

PS raced production class bikes in my twenties, that were in 1977-79.

Can supply photo of present bike

Amazing, you've been lucky so far, I am sure you have been close to near death accidents.  I suggest to park your bike when you turn 70 if you want to live for another 20 years. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:54 PM, Moonlover said:

… motorcycle 'swerve without explanation'.

I’ve witnessed such an occurrence in Udon.

We all have different experiences and perceptions, c’est la vie (except for the poor Scotsman RIP).

13 minutes ago, ArnieP said:
On 8/12/2023 at 8:54 PM, Moonlover said:

… motorcycle 'swerve without explanation'.

12 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

I’ve witnessed such an occurrence in Udon.

We all have different experiences and perceptions, c’est la vie (except for the poor Scotsman RIP).

Witnessing is not the same as experiencing. Did you get to ask the rider what his experience was?

7 hours ago, balo said:

Amazing, you've been lucky so far, I am sure you have been close to near death accidents.  I suggest to park your bike when you turn 70 if you want to live for another 20 years. 

Many people have seen me avoiding problems, yet, I seen them all about to develop.  Once seen a large pothole on the outside lane of Korat to Chaiyaphum, road colour were grey then black, moved to avoid and slowed seconds later a pickup dropped it's front and rear wheel in the hole, looking in the mirrors seen he stopped.

Doing a lot of reading and bike riding keeps (me) mentally aware or fools me into thinking it does.

Also, having a great/happy retirement with a good woman in a lovely home with 9 dogs........  Want to enjoy it for many years.

Also, only do riding in dry weather had enough of falls due to Scotlands tropical climate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, balo said:
On 8/11/2023 at 11:02 AM, tmd5855 said:

You can make it a death wish.

I am 68, lived here 19 years and always rode bikes, present bike bike is a modified, single seat, Ninja 650 that can do 160kph (on the speedo) in 4th gear before clicking into 5th..

But, the secret to survive is scan ahead continuously and expect the car drivers to have had a frontal lobotomy and the dark glasses Somsak is wearing on his 125cc are welding goggles. 

PS raced production class bikes in my twenties, that were in 1977-79.

Can supply photo of present bike

9 hours ago, balo said:

What an arbitary statement to make @balo! Providing one is fit and healthy and has good eyesight, there is no reason why one cannot continue riding a motorcycle into one's 70s & 80s. In fact I'd go as far as to say that riding helps to keep you fit, both physically and mentally. (see link below)

I always feel refreshed following a nice ride out in the countryside and even after mixing it with city traffic. I cannot say the same for driving a car.

I'm 77 now and I intend to continue riding and enjoying life for as long as I'm able too.

https://motorcycleshippers.com/2016/01/health-benefits-related-to-motorcycle-riding

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:23 PM, newbee2022 said:

Always the same story:

Foreigner comes to Thailand, the land of the free.....

Biking without helmet on a scooter. Brain left at home.

Even wearing helmet you are in danger on a scooter in Thailand. When will farangs learn? Buy a car and have some protection. It cost some bucks more but probably not your life!

RIP scotsman.

Or ride slowly and look.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What an arbitary statement to make @balo! Providing one is fit and healthy and has good eyesight, there is no reason why one cannot continue riding a motorcycle into one's 70s & 80s. In fact I'd go as far as to say that riding helps to keep you fit, both physically and mentally. (see link below)

I always feel refreshed following a nice ride out in the countryside and even after mixing it with city traffic. I cannot say the same for driving a car.

I'm 77 now and I intend to continue riding and enjoying life for as long as I'm able too.

https://motorcycleshippers.com/2016/01/health-benefits-related-to-motorcycle-riding

I agree. At 77 you might as well enjoy yourself. Doing nothing leads to a quicker death sometimes due to depression.

When im 77 if i make it stuff taking advice. I do whatever i like.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, snoop1130 said:

she had always urged him to exercise caution while riding the motorbike.

BINGO!

This man wasn't a "victim".

He was a willing participant.

He had a "death wish".

He didn't care about his own life.

He was willing to "take the chance".

He knew what he was doing.

He committed suicide by mathematical probability.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE HE WASN'T IN CONTROL OF THIS SITUATION 

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What must it be like to die in a foreign country?

It makes no difference what country you die in, you are still dead. 

It might be a PIA for your family if they want your body back although God knows why they would want it!

PS;  By using you/your I am talking generally and not at a specific poster!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

It makes no difference what country you die in, you are still dead. 

It might be a PIA for your family if they want your body back although God knows why they would want it!

PS;  By using you/your I am talking generally and not at a specific poster!

PPS: This is a post postscript.  Can you do better with a post, post postscript?

• Confused 1