Scottish man becomes latest victim of Thailand’s perilous roads

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, bignok said:

False. A helmet offers half decent protection. Ask a doctor.

I didn't say a motorbike helmet per se, I said the majority of motorbike helmets on sale and available in the Kingdom

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

Whats wrong with 3 wheelers? They mostly go slow. You can see them far away. The farang was on the wrong side of the road.

It happened because of the farang.

Why are you blaming 3 wheelers?

Another Thai basher.

I'm certainly not Thai Bashing; I've been here a long time.

Obviously you aren't aware that they are illegal.  And, you don't know why the foreigner was on the wrong side of the road.  The report just said he lost control of the motorcycle; he could have been shunted by a car he was overtaking.

In the future, unless you have all the facts, I suggest you do some homework; that's as polite as I can get with somebody who engages mouth before brain.

Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Was parked up near my local bus station at 4pm yesterday, waiting for my son. Nearby High School turned out. The road was awash with motorbikes with 2,3 and even 4 youngsters aboard going home. Masks aplenty, but not one helmet to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!! If 16/17 year old kids cannot obey the rules, what hope is there for the future.

You forgot to mention the 10/12 year kids on motorbikes leaving school with a younger passenger and of course both without helmets . Parents , teachers and the police all turn a blind eye . They should be prosecuted for lack of responsibility etc

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I'm certainly not Thai Bashing; I've been here a long time.

Obviously you aren't aware that they are illegal.  And, you don't know why the foreigner was on the wrong side of the road.  The report just said he lost control of the motorcycle; he could have been shunted by a car he was overtaking.

In the future, unless you have all the facts, I suggest you do some homework; that's as polite as I can get with somebody who engages mouth before brain.

Have a nice day

Your comments are naive at best. No helmet, wrong side of road and you blame the 3 wheeler. Sorry but you are wrong. 3 wheelers are Thai culture. Farangs cant make up how the roads operate.

You have to fit in and protect yourself.

13 hours ago, Dan747 said:

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand has one of the highest rates of road traffic deaths in the world, with the majority of fatalities involving motorbikes. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation reports that, on average, about 70 people die each day as a result of road accidents in Thailand. Of these fatalities, 74% are motorbike riders and passengers. According to the Department of Land Transport, there were 22,134 motorbike accidents in Thailand in 2020, resulting in 19,226 injuries and 6,142 deaths.

I believe the death rate ( 6142 ) may be inaccurate as the count only applies to death at the scene of the accident at does not include those who die post accident , e.g. hospital etc 

• Thumbs Up 1

RIP

It's all been said before a hundred times I know.  Why is it people come here jump on a motor bike when generally they do not ride them at home?  Or ride without helmets???  I see it all the time and indeed I see Farangs acting and riding worse than many Thai's, is it something in the water here?

Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world when it comes to the roads!

12 hours ago, circa02 said:

Nightmare, I think many of us with a bike have been guilty of nipping the shops without a helmet especially if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk, becoming more conscious of it recently with the amount of attention local accidents are getting on social media.

Helmet, long trousers, jacket, boots and gloves no matter how long or short the ride for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked article <<The absence of a helmet exacerbated the severity of his injuries, particularly the severe brain trauma he sustained on impact.>>

Tragic, but what can you say when he wasn’t even wearing a helmet ?? 

Many times I have seen motor bike riders put on their helmets and ride off . They do not fasten the chin strap . Also some ride with their helmets in the front wire basket .

Up here in Issan I reckon 90% of motorcyclists do not have tax or insurance including the motorbike taxis , I have been told . The Thais treat motorbikes as if they were bicycles .

Why farangs elect to use motorbikes in Thailand is baffling . Being an experienced rider does not negate the danger from low driving skilled Thai folk , plus the potholed roads etc . I know of at least 3 farangs where I live who were killed riding their small mopeds . 

13 hours ago, Dan747 said:

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand has one of the highest rates of road traffic deaths in the world, with the majority of fatalities involving motorbikes. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation reports that, on average, about 70 people die each day as a result of road accidents in Thailand. Of these fatalities, 74% are motorbike riders and passengers. According to the Department of Land Transport, there were 22,134 motorbike accidents in Thailand in 2020, resulting in 19,226 injuries and 6,142 deaths.

Wow ,never knew that. Why this info is never published or shared on the interweb. I think you should share this every time there is an accident so people know. 

1 minute ago, superal said:

Many times I have seen motor bike riders put on their helmets and ride off . They do not fasten the chin strap . Also some ride with their helmets in the front wire basket .

Up here in Issan I reckon 90% of motorcyclists do not have tax or insurance including the motorbike taxis , I have been told . The Thais treat motorbikes as if they were bicycles .

Why farangs elect to use motorbikes in Thailand is baffling . Being an experienced rider does not negate the danger from low driving skilled Thai folk , plus the potholed roads etc . I know of at least 3 farangs where I live who were killed riding their small mopeds . 

Thailand has scooters no mopeds. It's actually pretty safe to ride if sensible as I said before. Many towns are quiet with little traffic. Ao Nang is super busy. Tricky riding in busy spots.

You just have to use common sense. Not so common these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, craighj said:

Why is it people come here jump on a motor bike when generally they do not ride them at home?  Or ride without helmets??? 

2 reasons

Cheap hire

Some shops dont give you a helmet

On holidays many leave brain at airport

16 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Wow ,never knew that. Why this info is never published or shared on the interweb. I think you should share this every time there is an accident so people know. 

What difference will it make? None.

12 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Reported for flaming as usual from our resident Brit Basher.

And yet his post continues, which I agree with.  It's our right and a public service, sir, to mock drunken Brits who crash stupidly, like the fat guy that got his butt kicked for trying to bitch slap a go go bouncer, forgetting the Rule of Thirteen Thai Friends.  He just pointed out that there are occasionally some drunk-ass Brits on barstools and they seem to get in some trouble in Thailand more than some others.  This is not racism, because you can't be racist against Brits;  they just nod along with you, being self-aware, good-humored sports by and large.  ????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, circa02 said:

Nightmare, I think many of us with a bike have been guilty of nipping the shops without a helmet especially if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk, becoming more conscious of it recently with the amount of attention local accidents are getting on social media.

You are right. I see everyday, the farangs are adapting very well to they thai driving habit.   No helmet, no attention, speeding, no driving licence, and a lot of case no any motorcycle driving skills.  Reckless drive is common, also.

15 minutes ago, bogozy said:

You are right. I see everyday, the farangs are adapting very well to they thai driving habit.   No helmet, no attention, speeding, no driving licence, and a lot of case no any motorcycle driving skills.  Reckless drive is common, also.

So you must have really really good vision, you can see they don't have a driving license.????

So many foreigners ‘go native’….
… for me it’s 100% helmet whenever on a bike on any road anywhere…

& full face when going further than ‘nipping to the 7-11….

I’m less sympathetic towards foreigners who’ve caused themselves harm through not wearing a helmet for they know better, whereas Thai’s have been let down by authorities (road safety education & enforcement).

One of the reasons that some foreigners come to Thailand is because they feel they don't have to obey the rules as they have to at home. Don't wear a helmet in my native UK and you'd be hauled over. In Thailand, most of the time it's ignored by law enforcers. Some foreigners like that - until they're laying in a pool of blood with their brain spilled out.

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Obviously you aren't aware that they are illegal. 

Obviously you aren't aware that they are only illegal to ride in. Not that that makes any difference in Thailand, of course. I've more than once seen little kids sitting up in them waiting to be killed as their guardian rolls the dice.

I’m less sympathetic towards foreigners who’ve caused themselves harm through not wearing a helmet for they know better, whereas Thai’s have been let down by authorities (road safety education & enforcement).

I don't see it as a cultural thing. People don't like wearing a helmet. 

I always do on a m/c but never on a bicycle. I refused to do it in Melbourne recently along the beach.

5 hours ago, findlay13 said:

When will farangs start wearing helmets? They should have more sense coming from countries with reasonable education standards. "Oh I'm just going to the shops"" Oops, NO you're not! Always wear a lid .

My nearest 7/11 is about 1k from my house and I never go there by motorbike without wearing a crash hat. Ok , I have to cross over AH2 but if the lights down the road are on red it would be possible to walk across the road.  If I hear of a ferang having a fatal accident when out on his motorbike and the rider couldn't be bothered to put on a crash hat .....no sympathy from me.

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Obviously you aren't aware that they are only illegal to ride in. Not that that makes any difference in Thailand, of course. I've more than once seen little kids sitting up in them waiting to be killed as their guardian rolls the dice.

Were you forced by your parents to wear a seat belt in the car? I wasn't, in fact there were no seat belts in the back. I wasn't killed, obviously, as my parents rolled the dice.