Welcome to Malaysia -- wear a Swatch watch go to jail

Jingthing

Malaysia going full on Putin with extremist anti LGBTQ laws.

I've enjoyed my previous trips to Malaysia but

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/malaysia-swatch-ban-rainbow-lgbt-watch-intl-hnk/index.html

Wearing a rainbow-themed Swatch watch in Malaysia could now land you three years in jail, after the government banned what it described as the brand’s “LGBTQ related” products — claiming they are “harmful to morality.”

Anybody who wears, sells, imports or distributes the Swiss watchmaker’s rainbow-themed products — including watches, accessories or related packaging — faces not only the possibility of a jail term, but also a fine of up to 20,000 ringgit ($4,375) if convicted, according to official gazetted documents seen by CNN.

Homosexuality is a crime punishable by fines and prison terms of up to 20 years in Malaysia, a Muslim majority country that has seen a rise in conservative attitudes in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Just now, Jingthing said:

I see similarities to Russia.

Jailing people for wearing a watch is insane.

Has anyone actually been jailed?
As I said, when the West rubs Malaysia's nose in it they have to be seen to act - so they make a law and a big bruhaha - but I doubt anyone is going to prison unless they do anything provocative. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Stocky said:

Has anyone actually been jailed?
As I said, when the West rubs Malaysia's nose in it they have to be seen to act - so they make a law and a big bruhaha - but I doubt anyone is going to prison unless they do anything provocative. 

So you're making excuses for extremist laws. Charming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. Not "a Swatch watch"

People can wear almost any Swatch watch.

It shouldn't be too difficult not to wear that stupid alphabet soup rainbow design. 

Stupid alphabet soup?

So you post on a gay forum to insult gay culture. 

Disgusting. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

No, you're just expecting other countries to bend to your will. 

Who said I'm expecting?

I know there are horribly homophobic countries in the world just as there are obviously horribly homophobic expats in Thailand.

The news here is that Malaysia is getting worse for LGBTQ people. Just as Russia and the USA have gotten worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've enjoyed my previous trips to Malaysia but

In my experience Malaysia only works if there are Chinese restaurants in the local area.

If there aren't any, expect a booze-free experience AND a lecture. "It says in the book blah blah blah".

If you find yourself in such a town, eg Marang twenty years ago then it's to bed at 9pm then bug out on the first bus the next morning.

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Who said I'm expecting?

I know there are horribly homophobic countries in the world just as there are obviously horribly homophobic expats in Thailand.

The news here is that Malaysia is getting worse for LGBTQ people. Just as Russia and the USA have gotten worse.

That is in part due to the agenda being pushed by the west, the recent Matty Healy incident wasn't helpful. The western bull in a china shop approach is inappropriate in other cultures.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/26/the-1975s-matty-healy-has-hurt-malaysias-queer-community-not-uplifted-it

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anyhow who wants a Swatch ? They are starting the racket with their Moonwatch series, like Apple used to do with some previous releases. They show a product like the MOONWATCH - Neptune but to enhance speculation, it's totally unavailable since 1 year it has been released.

Plain marketing rubbish that speaks a lot. Customers are no longer geese that will line up for hours just to get the new phone or watch. If not available, fine...I'll give somebody else me money.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Are USA are better with their anti abortion laws and backward treatment of women in rural US ?

The US is experiencing a wave of anti LGBT laws.

Better in that you can wear a Swatch of any color and gay sex itself is legal, etc.