Tourist Police Explain "Skateboard Incident" at Don Mueang airport

webfact

1 hour ago, tandor said:

Thai Criminal Code (Penal Code) of 1908, Section 392. Threats

Any person who, by threat, places another in a state of fear or fright shall be liable to imprisonment for not more than one month, or a fine not exceeding one thousand baht or both.

I'm pretty satisfied that Section 392 covers such a misdemeanour.

Yes, sure.   If you can't find something that actually covers your assertion just pick a different one and say "that should cover it" even though it makes no mention of assault, never mind the specific made up offence of "attempted assault"!

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, sure.   If you can't find something that actually covers your assertion just pick a different one and say "that should cover it" even though it makes no mention of assault, never mind the specific made up offence of "attempted assault"!

where a Section of the law is specifically stated ie assault, stealing, fraud, murder, etc. there also are 'attempts' that apply to each crime, as is aiding and abetting.

Attempted crimes are not specific Sections or sub-sections, but are treated as less serious breaches of the main Section by the Court, as a result of the evidence submitted.

I think in the incident in question, the officer directly involved has decided it was sensible to let it ride as no-one was hurt and it resolved itself peaceably with the aggressor backing down.

The tourist (when the clip started) was seen to be trying to hit the officers baton only, and later started to swing at his torso with some centimetres to spare, not as if the officer had to retreat drastically.

In my opinion the officer acted wisely but had every right to take him to ground and restrain him.

PS. This is all based on from when the clip started; there was obviously a lot that went on prior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Sorry i am not an US citizen,i do not believe in a military police force.

Yes of course,no one has ever died from use of a taser.

Carry on.

Now I am confused. The military doesn't use tasers.  There have been reported deaths from tasers use but they always have contributing factors that make them a minuscule percentage of incidents.  More people die in bathtubs then from tasers every year.   You are making assertions based on ZERO knowledge of the subject and ZERO  experience in the field and have ZERO history controlling violent subjects.  On what planet would your opinion of something with absolutely ZERO supporting evidence would matter to anyone but you?  You should talk less and pray to everything you believe to be holy that men like me are available and well trained to protect little girls like yourself.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

Now I am confused. The military doesn't use tasers.  There have been reported deaths from tasers use but they always have contributing factors that make them a minuscule percentage of incidents.  More people die in bathtubs then from tasers every year.   You are making assertions based on ZERO knowledge of the subject and ZERO  experience in the field and have ZERO history controlling violent subjects.  On what planet would your opinion of something with absolutely ZERO supporting evidence would matter to anyone but you?  You should talk less and pray to everything you believe to be holy that men like me are available and well trained to protect little girls like yourself.

Men like you?Thanks for making me laugh,you know ZERO about me.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2023 at 3:35 AM, simon43 said:

Why on earth are you quoting from Black's Law Dictionary?  We are in Thailand!  You need to cite the relevant para in the Thai Criminal or Civil Code ????

Yeah, I guess I walked into that one. By the way you commented, it appeared that you already seemed to think that you know what assault in Thailand is. So, you could always say so more directly.....
But since I stepped in it and gave what is just the law in the UK and the US as a reference, which is admittedly out of context, I suppose I should follow through and see about Thailand specifically, since you aren't being more forthcoming about your insinuation that it isn't assault if there's no contact in Thailand.
I figured it wouldn't be difficult, so here you go, after about a minute to search and about 5 or 10 minutes of reading. It was actually fairly interesting.... and what do you know! They have the same understanding that criminal charges (whether you translate it as "assault" or not) are applicable with VERY similar definitions.
Of course translation will give some difficulty, but it is understandable enough.
Since assault in the UK and US, as I was mentioning, would include the following, even though they don't translate it as "assault", I believe it applies. The main point being that contact is not necessary to be charged with a crime.

(Any typos in the definitions are from the website that I snapped the images from.)
image.thumb.png.edd462cf0ac029c0ee792d37b14216e3.png
image.thumb.png.9776e9843852483e8a261d8c83cb9787.png
Section 397 appears to not be in force anymore? I couldn't find anything regarding what it says here about being repealed....

Then there are these that could apply to this case as well -
image.thumb.png.94d8125528b5a416ef52c5cd332b86cd.png
image.thumb.png.aad196e8e7e91fce9dd88abd922d7900.png
image.thumb.png.397850c6938f7aa12782debb2e2c041d.png

On 8/14/2023 at 3:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Section 80. Attempt

Whoever commences to commit an offence, but does not carry it through, or carries it through, but does not achieve its end, is said to attempt to commit an offence.

Whoever attempts to commit an offence shall be liable to two-thirds of the punishment as provided by the law for such offence.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tandor said:

Section 80. Attempt

Whoever commences to commit an offence, but does not carry it through, or carries it through, but does not achieve its end, is said to attempt to commit an offence.

Whoever attempts to commit an offence shall be liable to two-thirds of the punishment as provided by the law for such offence.

OK, so attempted 'assault' is an offense?

11 hours ago, Sig said:

"This type of behavior occurs often at US Airports." That is nonsense. People watch too many YouTube videos and movies....  I've been in and out of airports in America well over 300 times and have never seen anything remotely close to this. I've seen some argumentative/irritable remarks made at ticket counters and boarding gates, but I've never even heard a voice raised to a yell, let alone police taking someone to the ground. And of course, due to quota hiring, you see that it's a female cop who resorts to the taser because she's incapable of doing anything else, sadly not uncommon in American female police. And the other male cop escalated the situation instead of deescalating... THAT, I can agree is a serious issue with policing in America. But the constant ridiculous remarks about cops shooting or getting violent all the time or whatever.... pure and utter nonsense.

LAX, yes it does occur and not all incidents make it on the news or on youtube.  However I do agree with you on the "quota" hiring practices of large American Police Departments. I know because i spent 20 years on one this departments located in Southern California.  I won't name it but you can guess.  Also, this video only captures about 2 minutes of this entire incident.  It does not offer the full context.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

LAX, yes it does occur and not all incidents make it on the news or on youtube.  However I do agree with you on the "quota" hiring practices of large American Police Departments. I know because i spent 20 years on one this departments located in Southern California.  I won't name it but you can guess.  Also, this video only captures about 2 minutes of this entire incident.  It does not offer the full context.  

Yes, it certainly occurs, no doubt about that. I only was contesting the part about it occurring often. Of course, that is subjective as to what "often" is and how often does it need to happen in order to qualify as such, but in the hundreds of times through airports and never having seen anything even remotely similar makes me doubtful re it being often. Airports can be strange places. One of the places I do my best to make my time in them as short as possible.
Yeah, I can imagine you have a number of stories about your time in LA. I have a number of friends who are and were police as well as Highway Patrol. One of my cousins is retired San Francisco PD and his brother was a Deputy Sheriff in Santa Cruz County. The stories can be pretty amazing, in many different ways.