Neighbors' Complaints Lead to Discovery of Nearly 20 Trapped Cats in a House

webfact

image.jpeg

Persistent complaints from Village residents about foul odors ultimately revealed a distressing situation: nearly 20 cats trapped inside a residence.

Local authorities and the Watchdog Thailand Foundation intervened after years of complaints. The homeowner, Priyanucha Phansri, stated financial constraints prevented her from addressing the issue promptly.

On August 13th, accompanied by local police and an assistant village leader, the foundation's representative, Ratthiya Tiatrakul, visited the house in Samut Prakan.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The door was closed, but the glass revealed a multitude of cats inside. Priyanucha was contacted, and upon entering, authorities found the house reeking with cat waste. The cats were in poor health due to overcrowding.

Priyanucha explained that her husband bought the house, but after they separated, she struggled to manage costs while caring for her family and cats. The situation escalated when she moved but couldn't accommodate all cats. Authorities proposed relocating the cats using vehicles.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Phairoj Intharap, the assistant village leader, highlighted multiple prior complaints. The involvement of authorities and media signifies a potential resolution to the longstanding issue.

Ratthiya Tiatrakul from the foundation confirmed the owner's financial limitations and outlined plans for the cats' relocation.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

• Sad 1

The the disgusting cavalier attitude of Thai people to the welfare of pets (including dogs) never ceases to amaze me. They seem to treat them as toys to be thrown away or just imprisoned and starved when they tire of them.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, RobU said:

The the disgusting cavalier attitude of Thai people to the welfare of pets (including dogs) never ceases to amaze me. They seem to treat them as toys to be thrown away or just imprisoned and starved when they tire of them.

Well thats really the issue.

Thai's have in general, not always, a different definition of pets.

As I write this our three cats are happily all playing rough n tumble with each other which never fails to make me smile. I love them almost like children.

Especially rural Thai's see their animals somewhat differently.

They feed them, but I never see much real affection for them, and will discard them without a second thought

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well thats really the issue.

Thai's have in general, not always, a different definition of pets.

As I write this our three cats are happily all playing rough n tumble with each other which never fails to make me smile. I love them almost like children.

Especially rural Thai's see their animals somewhat differently.

They feed them, but I never see much real affection for them, and will discard them without a second thought

It's strange that they don't take responsibility for a life (or lives) that they have made dependent on them.  We have 3 cats too always a pleasure to watch. Very comforting when they deign to allow us to pet them good at pest control too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NativeBob said:

I have no idea why our neighbor cut whiskies of my cat. Completely innocent and harmless, easy to play and never scratch anyone. Its very brutal thing to do.

It back to fact that they don't see them as pets.

When we first moved to Thailand we had our first cat.

Super loving and affectionate.

When he died I think my wife cried for days. The reaction from friends neighbors and family was telling. 

None of them could quite fathom why she was so upset about a cat, after all it was just a cat, couldn't be part of our family!

I'll admit, I cried too, as I have done at the death of every pet I've ever owned

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

All the posters on here saying its a Thai thing. That's so stupid and just racist. 

Go look at animal rescue videos on you tube to see all the cases like the OP of animal hoarders in America, UK and other countries....as well as puppy mills etc. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

All the posters on here saying its a Thai thing. That's so stupid and just racist. 

Go look at animal rescue videos on you tube to see all the cases like the OP of animal hoarders in America, UK and other countries....as well as puppy mills etc. 

The story is about an irresponsible ignorant Thai .... nothing to do with the US, UK or anywhere else,  please stop trying to defend they're attitude towards animals, you only have to walk the markets to see tiny pups, kittens etc ... barely 2 months old for sale by the dozens,  oh' aren't they cute,  and then they take them home & lock them in the room 24/7. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Nothing racist about pointing out the obvious.

Of course there are cases of animal abuse in other countries, but I'd suggest they are the exception

Thai's view of 'pets' is on the whole totally different to most western views

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Nothing racist about pointing out the obvious.

Of course there are cases of animal abuse in other countries, but I'd suggest they are the exception

Thai's view of 'pets' is on the whole totally different to most western views

Wrong. Sorry, do some research.  See how many dogs and cats un American are destroyed each year due to owners dumping them or not wanting them. 

Look at animal hoarding cases too.

It's not unique to Thailand..