Pink Line monorail set for trials, free rides for two months

webfact

image.jpeg

A significant advancement in Thailand’s transportation network is poised to launch its trial operations tomorrow, adding to the city’s mass transit system.

The Pink Line, under the control of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), is expected to begin trial runs following the completion of the systems test by the Northern Bangkok Monorail (NBM), the entity bestowed with the responsibility to operate the line. Counting 30 stations along the route, the awaited line has been creating quite a stir.

In an early bird offer, free rides will be accessible to commuters for the following two months, leading up to November when the commercial services are scheduled to commence. The announcement of the opening schedule is seemingly ahead of the planned timeline, hinted the unnamed source.

The Pink Line was initiated in 2016, with the project linking Khae Rai Station and Min Buri Station, with the government supporting the MRTA in the land acquisition process.

This 34.5 kilometres straddle monorail line commences at the Nonthaburi Civic Centre Station, which merges into the MRT Purple Line and concludes at Min Buri Station, designated to connect with the Orange Line which is currently in the construction phase.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo courtesy of kirloskarthailand.com

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailands-pink-line-monorail-set-for-trials-free-rides-for-two-months

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

• Like 2

I wonder if the ride will be smoother than the Yellow Line.

I took the Yellow Line the other day and it felt rickety, more like a fairground ride than a serious piece of mass transit. Still, it was clearly appreciated by the people who have to travel in and out of the Ladprao area, as the monorail was standing room only on that section.

Looking forward to trying the Pink Line to compare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

I wonder if the ride will be smoother than the Yellow Line.

I took the Yellow Line the other day and it felt rickety, more like a fairground ride than a serious piece of mass transit. Still, it was clearly appreciated by the people who have to travel in and out of the Ladprao area, as the monorail was standing room only on that section.

Looking forward to trying the Pink Line to compare.

I haven't been on the Yellow Line, but the description of the Pink Line cars sounds a lot like the Gold Line to Icon Siam, which is like your example, IMO.  It mentions rubber tires, which I think is the same as the Gold Line.  They seem to scrape a little as they're pulled along the concrete track by the motors.

I have a feeling these will all be similar in their ricketiness.  Quite different to the current BTS or MRT with their rails and resulting stability.  They seem almost like electronic busses on rails.

A very positive thing nonetheless.

undefined

undefined

undefined

• Like 1

The Pink Line & the Yellow Line use the same rolling stock - the Bombardier Innovia Monorail 300.

This system is also in use in countries as diverse as China, Egypt and Brazil.

It seems unlikely that the technology itself is inherently bumpy and rattly, so it could be caused by imperfections in the concrete rail. This has already been noted in Brazil, where the imperfections were so bad that they caused a tire to actually explode and shut the whole system down for two months.

http://www.kailchan.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bangkok_metro_map.jpg

Note that this is a futuristic map - some of the lines (orange line, green line east branch from Udom Suk etc) are projections and not in service, even if they are under construction.

Edit: I'm not sure how accurate this map is - Yellow Line is correct, but the Pink Line looks off, so take this with a pinch of salt.

The Thai map is the more accurate one, for sure.

Edited by Eleftheros
Clarification