Buying a long lasting electric jug?

giddyup

On 8/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, giddyup said:

What's the difference, electric kettle or jug? I thought of the old style kettle that you just put over a gas jet, nothing to go wrong with them, as long as you have gas.

Exhibit A is a jug or jar, which is what I assumed you were talking about. Exhibit B is an electric kettle which is what I now use. I also have a good old fashioned whistling kettle which I can stick on the gas hob for when the power fails.

Jug.jpg

Kettle.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 8:48 PM, observer90210 said:

I have cheap tonky-donk brand from Amazon, that has transparent glass and a swanky blue led light....at the moment no issues after 3 years of intensive use.

I got 3 of those! My wife, not realising we already got a spare, bought another last week when the lid of the current one lost it's latch. Didn't stop it working and it still shut off when boiling! The new one cost 200 baht from Lazada this time, the other 2 came from DIY. We now got 4 electric kettles plus an electric travel kettle 3 of which are pretty blue led lit glass ones. The only problem we faced is that I did all the plumbing and electrical work in our new extension and kitchen and put those universal double sockets up under the wall units and some of the kettle leads simply are not long enough to reach up and plug in. But following a succession of plastic and stainless steel jug kettles we now buy some cheap things 2 at a time so we have a spare. Thus far the blue-led glass ones seem good so long as one does not succumb to temptation and overfill them!

Electric razors are another buy 2 use one thing, at a 229 baht each what usually fails is the rechargeable battery after 6 months to a year so I got 2 on the go and alternate them. At a fiver in English money each they are fine compared to the extravagant costs for say Phillips. Even expensive ones last no longer and need cutters and foils replacing and they cost more than the cheap razors. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Electric razors are another buy 2 use one thing, at a 229 baht each what usually fails is the rechargeable battery after 6 months to a year so I got 2 on the go and alternate them. At a fiver in English money each they are fine compared to the extravagant costs for say Phillips. Even expensive ones last no longer and need cutters and foils replacing and they cost more than the cheap razors. 

Suspect you have a Thai beard or like the stubble look if you find no difference between cheap and expensive.  Even the cheap real Phillips 1000 series will not shave me - but the 5000 series does.  Difference between shaved and not shaved.  As for the 500 baht shavers - might as well use a piece of wood - nothing removed at all.

43 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I got 3 of those! My wife, not realising we already got a spare, bought another last week when the lid of the current one lost it's latch. Didn't stop it working and it still shut off when boiling! The new one cost 200 baht from Lazada this time, the other 2 came from DIY. We now got 4 electric kettles plus an electric travel kettle 3 of which are pretty blue led lit glass ones. The only problem we faced is that I did all the plumbing and electrical work in our new extension and kitchen and put those universal double sockets up under the wall units and some of the kettle leads simply are not long enough to reach up and plug in. But following a succession of plastic and stainless steel jug kettles we now buy some cheap things 2 at a time so we have a spare. Thus far the blue-led glass ones seem good so long as one does not succumb to temptation and overfill them!

Same a cordless hair cutters, bought one from Amazon for around 300 baht five years ago, use it for giving the dog a trim, works perfectly and never replaced the battery. Also bought one from Lazada for 200 baht for myself, holds a charge for far longer than it takes to cut my hair.