Buying a long lasting electric jug?

giddyup

6 minutes ago, msbkk said:

Electrolux, since 15 years, never had a problem. 

You've jinxed it now!

We also have an Electrolux kettle which is about three years old.

It has out lived all the previous kettles that I have owned in 14 years of living in Thailand.

And that includes a 2000 baht one I bought from Power buy which died within a year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

You've jinxed it now!

We also have an Electrolux kettle which is about three years old.

It has out lived all the previous kettles that I have owned in 14 years of living in Thailand.

And that includes a 2000 baht one I bought from Power buy which died within a year.

I had a Russel Hobbs kettle and a Sunbeam toaster in Australia, both still going strong without problems after 25 years.

51 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I've had several electric jugs over the years, lucky if they last 18 months, but they are cheap. Otto and Irmaflex are the two most common brands on Lazada, but they don't last. Anyone had better luck?

I use microwave. Water coffee 3 minutes.  Better tasting coffee in my opinion but to ones own choose a mobile phone.  

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Boil water, pour over tea leaves in teapot?

yes ... but boiling water in a microwave seems a very unconventional way to make a pot of tea.  just saying '

I prefer to boil the billy ...   lol

Edited by steven100

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ... but boiling water in a microwave seems a very unconventional way to make a pot of tea.  just saying '

I prefer to boil the billy ...   lol

And swing it three time around your head?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

and how can you make a pot of tea with a microwave?

Stick teabags in a mug of water. Nuke on high for 4.35 minutes then rest in front of beach side window view for 2 minutes for the perfectly brewed cup.  My preference is black lipton with chammy. 

As I posted yesterday there is also the induction electric pot option, which I prefer for longevity, hotter water when you want it and ability to take where you want it and requires no routine cleaning to keep operating.  Simple but it works.

image of sku : 10336216

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

try tesco's

Haven't you heard, they've left the building? I wasn't aware that they made electric jugs anyway.

Back on topic, I've had the same experience as you @giddyup. I finally gave up on them and bought a common or garden electric kettle instead. It works just fine and I'm sure that it's more economical to use as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Haven't you heard, they've left the building? I wasn't aware that they made electric jugs anyway.

Back on topic, I've had the same experience as you @giddyup. I finally gave up on them and bought a common or garden electric kettle instead. It works just fine and I'm sure that it's more economical to use as well.

What's the difference, electric kettle or jug? I thought of the old style kettle that you just put over a gas jet, nothing to go wrong with them, as long as you have gas.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As I posted yesterday there is also the induction electric pot option, which I prefer for longevity, hotter water when you want it and ability to take where you want it and requires no routine cleaning to keep operating.  Simple but it works.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do they work exactly? I take it you need an induction hot plate?

Edited by giddyup

I have had an all plastic electric kettle (sits on a base) for over 4 years here and is made by Sharp. Used many times daily and never had a problem with it. I have always been wary of the metal cased ones as although they are supposedly "double-insulated", so was the Fridge a friend kept getting shocks off!!!! Go figure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The bottom is the induction plate - it lifts off of it for pouring.  

not really an induction plate is it?  but the bottom plastic disk in the centre has a 1cm circular connection point that you sit the kettle / jug on and that enables the power connection  .....  isn't that correct?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

not really an induction plate is it?  but the bottom plastic disk in the centre has a 1cm circular connection point that you sit the kettle / jug on and that enables the power connection  .....  isn't that correct?

That center point is the sealed induction coil.  So not a flat plate as for stovetop but same principle.  Totally safe to touch.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

While TEFAL is an excellent make and there are induction kettles, it is extremely unlikely that the one you have is actually an induction kettle.

It is likely to be similar to the Häfele kettle we have, they both have a Concealed heating element. Yours seems to be the TEFAL APRECIA - BI8126https://www.tefal.com/Breakfast/Kettles/Aprecia/APRECIA---BI8126/p/7211000876?scc=Breakfast-kettles

mine is this one IMG_6345.thumb.jpeg.8a59ea3229555c42b589b2b61a44f558.jpegIMG_6344.thumb.jpeg.fdf91d05d005ca2d405b3de0f9fc9353.jpeg

if it were an induction kettle it would be unable to have an auto cutoff function on the kettle itself.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That center point is the sealed induction coil.  So not a flat plate as for stovetop but same principle.  Totally safe to touch.

Totally safe to touch, I agree but not an indication coil.

There are no induction kettles that I can find sold with an induction coil base apart from the Chemex Chettle Induction Kettle a little expensive at over ฿5,000

IMG_6347.jpeg.61dd3f021efe2e1b464c28e83a925a79.jpeg

All the others use an induction stove. They are more efficient at about 85% as opposed to the regular electric kettle at 80%

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thumbs Up 1

To make it last a few hours more !!....depending on the limescale, regularly soak in a bit of white vinegar overnight. That is if you have limescale, which can be quite rare in certain parts of Thailand I guess ?

I have cheap tonky-donk brand from Amazon, that has transparent glass and a swanky blue led light....at the moment no issues after 3 years of intensive use.

But long lasting in today's market values ? unless you shed out at least 100 bucks,...and even then not sure.

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While TEFAL is an excellent make and there are induction kettles, it is extremely unlikely that the one you have is actually an induction kettle.

Indeed not for heating - was talking coil to coil AC electric transfer and that pot had no direct physical electric contact.  Guess should not have used the induction word.