Travel industry girds for weak low season amid cost and weather challenges

webfact

38 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:

At least some honesty. Needlessly Closing the country for two years hasn't helped. They usually smoke something and come up with an over estimated magical number of tourists that will visit. It must be serious 

This is about outbound tourism and Thais not travelling as much. Nothing to do with visitors.

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You have misunderstood what this story is about, probably due to yet another poorly written headline. The entire article and the link is about Thai tourists and Thais reducing outbound trips. So everything you wrote is irrelevant to this thread.

Than still.... Thai people will run out of money very soon.... too many holidays, nothing about the weather... indeed no because their houses were flooded

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The president of the Thai Travel Agents Association, Charoen Wangananont highlighted that the season’s sale rate for outbound packages significantly lags behind the comparison period recorded before the pandemic.

Perhaps due to the thousands that lost their employment, got sick, had other expenses to consider?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The travel industry is bracing itself for an exceptionally weak low season, with predictions of stagnant demand, escalating operational costs at popular destinations, and the impacts of tropical storms.

The typical made-up reasons. With even domestic tourism below expectations, thanks to a stagnating economy and record household debt, how can the average Thai afford spending even more for holidays abroad? -  Probably less about increased costs at destinations, and, most likely, not about tropical storms, as they don't tend to last for entire tourism seasons.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I don't understand the reference to Keith Richards....sorry, can you explain it?

He can't mention Michael Jackson, who once had a fleet of Jumbo 747’s. And I don't know if Travolta still flys his right from his front door anymore. 

46 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

Isn't THIS supposed to be the low season? Sure doesn't look bad to me. Bad to drive in, but lots of tourists, that's for sure.

I liked it during covid much better.

Great news influenza, RSV, Covid GE5. Leprosy and Polio are back. 

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

part of this can be blamed directly on the airlines who continue to downgrade their customer service and increase their fares.  its just to bloody not worth and stressful to travel these days. unless your Keith Richards of course 

Keith Richards? I believe he flies in private jets... 

27 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many Thais will probably keep wearing masks forever...

Well, this was part of Asian culture before the pandemic... I remember well on a flight to Japan seeing a masked person for the first time. Sure it will persist as some people see it as a form of personal protection, personal hygiene. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’m wondering if that’s the fault of Thai airlines, or another case of the Aust Govt disallowing more flights in order to protect the market share of Qantas. For instance, I know that Qatar Airways is very keen to introduce more flights to Australia, but approval is continually denied to protect Qantas.

Australia is indeed under very weird leadership these days... 

1 hour ago, Dickie Dee said:

He can't mention Michael Jackson, who once had a fleet of Jumbo 747’s. And I don't know if Travolta still flys his right from his front door anymore. 

The only Travolta movie I ever liked was Saturday night fever, the rest are all crap... 

3 hours ago, GobSmacked said:

Thai Airways aren't sharing the load in the 'heavy lifting' to fly tourists into and out of the kingdom. For example, they have yet to restart non-stop flights to Perth, Western Australia since the pandemic. Stopping en route in either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur with Singapore or Malaysian Airlines to change terminals and aircraft is aggravating and time-wasting so would-be tourists won't do it. It's easier to fly to Bali, Singapore, or Malaysia non-stop. Thai needs a boot up the backside.

You only need to see carefully the number of planes, specially A380s parked on Survanabhumi airport when you use the airport 

• Thumbs Up 1