A good hotdog

1FinickyOne

Brat dogs are a stand by in CM;  Fourth of July and Football. The easy option, when not sure about other 'dogs'. Rimping, for the Brats & a can of Hengstenberg Kraut. Bread from Nana bakery. Assorted condiments and let the guests DIY. BTW thanks to the above posters, I now have an idea of other dogs to buy, . 

'Toffee nosed yanks, hard at work crafting Brat dogs for the bon vivant set.' 

brats95-NFL-Packers-022.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Brat dogs are a stand by in CM;  Fourth of July and Football. The easy option, when not sure about other 'dogs'. Rimping, for the Brats & a can of Hengstenberg Kraut. Bread from Nana bakery. Assorted condiments and let the guests DIY. BTW thanks to the above posters, I now have an idea of other dogs to buy, . 

'Toffee nosed yanks, hard at work crafting Brat dogs for the bon vivant set.' 

brats95-NFL-Packers-022.jpg

Are the Packers playing here this year?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

I like a hot dog with lashings of onions and mustard

…buried in ketchup, chili or whatever. It’s the only way I’ve been able to dine on the few of the intestine-filled-who-knows-what’s-in-it that I’ve eaten when I was famished in this life.

• Thumbs Up 2

OP, you want hotdogs from a supermarket. I suppose you mean just the sausage, the bread is something you should buy separately and dress according to your taste. Rimping has a good (expensive) selection of frozen imported sausages from Europe, and also some not bad at all cheaper local ones. Both Maya and Meechok, other branches not sure.

I get mine from a guy called Greg Lange he runs a Facebook page called Bangkok beef he sells steaks and ground beef etc and beef hotdogs look him up on face book, he also owns sunrise tacos in Bangkok, he ships all over Thailand 

Have yet to have a good dog in Pattaya or BKK.  Dieing for a Costco dog.   Too bad the only American dog available is Oscar Meyer.  Not even a top 10 candidate back home.  Hein, from Germany has an ok Krakauer (Polish) dog at Villa somtimes but very expensive at 400 baht for 4.

Tops Club, a Costco knockoff in outer BKK, does not have Kirkland (Costco) dogs.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

If it's not 'Nathan's,' 'Hebrew National,' or 'Boar's Head' brand, it's not a good hot dog!  It's just a hot dog.  ????

He's actually pretty right on as far as good brands are concerned. Not a big hot dog eater but I would like to try the suggestions here. I've had NYC hot dogs, which are still the best I've ever tasted, and Chicago style, equal but different. When you go to NYC, and try a hot dog there, as well as the pizza, Jewish deli sandwiches and pretzels, you know you're at the top as far as those kinds of foods are concerned.

• Like 2

Ikea has good old cheap Swedish hot dogs. They even have packages of hot dog bread (buns) where the number of buns actually match the number of hot dogs in the hot dog packages:). A Swedish hot dog is best served with mashed potato together with the hot dog in the bread, a lot of mustard and special remoulade dressing.

Edited by AlQaholic

3 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

My all time favorite is an Oscar Mayer (American Brand) hot dog. Which you can get at "Tops" at Central Festival Mall. And if you are interested, they also carry Oscar Mayer bacon, which puts all Thai bacon to shame.

I’m not sure you really know what you are writing. 
There are decent hand made products here. Dry cured as opposed to brine cured. Nitrite free in some cases. 
American standard is not necessarily the best standard. You can find decent German made products here. That’s what I would choose if making a hotdog, a high quality locally made product. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

He's actually pretty right on as far as good brands are concerned. Not a big hot dog eater but I would like to try the suggestions here. I've had NYC hot dogs, which are still the best I've ever tasted, and Chicago style, equal but different. When you go to NYC, and try a hot dog there, as well as the pizza, Jewish deli sandwiches and pretzels, you know you're at the top as far as those kinds of foods are concerned.

Makes me laugh when I read Americans thinking their versions are the best… Hot Dogs… German. Hamburgers? Guess where? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, NextG said:

I’m not sure you really know what you are writing. 
There are decent hand made products here. Dry cured as opposed to brine cured. Nitrite free in some cases. 
American standard is not necessarily the best standard. You can find decent German made products here. That’s what I would choose if making a hotdog, a high quality locally made product. 

Yes, I can assure you I know what I am writing. The key words words are "My all time favorite". I gave you what I like, not what maybe most people would like. Because I do know Oscar Meyer hot dog is not good for you and is pure junk, but for some reason I love the taste of it, compared to all others. Most people I know love the German made ones, but I don't. It doesn't make me wrong or right. I just like what I like. I do agree with your entire statement, except for your first sentence. 

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Makes me laugh when I read Americans thinking their versions are the best… Hot Dogs… German. Hamburgers? Guess where? 

Why, perhaps they are, I don't think the USA has one variety of hot dog, same goes for burgers, perhaps you have only ever been to McDonald's..........................................????

Just now, transam said:

Why, perhaps they are, I don't think the USA has one variety of hot dog, same goes for burgers, perhaps you have only ever been to McDonald's..........................................????

A lot of perhaps there. In other words, perhaps just nonsense that you have created that has nothing to do with me. 
How many times have you visited the USA? Tell me about the variety and what you know about them.  I don’t think I eaten anything from McDonalds in twenty years. 

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

A lot of perhaps there. In other words, perhaps just nonsense that you have created that has nothing to do with me. 
How many times have you visited the USA? Tell me about the variety and what you know about them.  I don’t think I eaten anything from McDonalds in twenty years. 

I have been to the USA five times, I have driven the width of the USA.

I have driven down as far as Key West....

Next.....................:clap2:

4 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

My all time favorite is an Oscar Mayer (American Brand) hot dog. Which you can get at "Tops" at Central Festival Mall. And if you are interested, they also carry Oscar Mayer bacon, which puts all Thai bacon to shame.

Phillie's Beef Franks (not available TH), would be my favorite.  A Hatfield (edit) product, and very popular 'Ball Park' as 2nd choice.   

Though haven't had one in 20+ years, so if bought out by an international conglomerate, probably screwed with the recipe, as they did with all Scrapple, chocolate & ice cream offerings in the USA.

Bucher frankfurters (hotdogs) are quite good, and excellent value, though made with chicken, if that matter, more so than pork, though taste the same before they changed the ingredients.

Reading the ingredients a while back, and that was a surprising change.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I have been to the USA five times, I have driven the width of the USA.

I have driven down as far as Key West....

Next.....................:clap2:

Less than I. So now we can move on to discussing the variety and quality. I ate a lot of carp there claiming to be what it was not. Chorizo being but one example. That’s why we have quality designation in Europe. To stop the outrageous claims and absolute degradation of quality standards.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

Less than I. So now we can move on to discussing the variety and quality. I ate a lot of carp there claiming to be what it was not. Chorizo being but one example. That’s why we have quality designation in Europe. To stop the outrageous claims and absolute degradation of quality standards.  

You want good Chorizo, go to San Antonio. Mexican food restaurants like Thai restaurants here. Not really into it, but I've had my share and it's pretty tasty, although heavy on fats.