A good hotdog

1FinickyOne

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

That is exactly what I do. Travel for food. How about you? 

Don't know about 'travel for' ... but when O&A, I do make a point of indulging what I can't get at home, or haven't had in a while.

Really looking forward to some beef massaman & roti, on next outing, as heading S to lower gulf provinces.

I even refrain from eating some things at home, as I know I'll probably eat when O&A, if I can't find something different.   KFC's wing zap, and spicy bologna being 2 things, I know I'll eventually eat on the road, so don't bother a week or 2 before heading out, if eat them at all at home, actually rare.

It's all personal taste & opinions.

That something is made by a certain nationality for a certain national dish is totally irrelevant today.  Anyone can replicate a recipe.

One of the best pizzas I've had in Thailand, was from a Thai ma/pa shop.   One of, if not the worst NY Style pizza was from a New Yorker, and apparently I wasn't alone, as his business failed, miserably.

He had an excellent Greek Gyro, until the Thai cook left, and went independent.

Taste for me, and what I expect, comes from what I grew up on.   Coming from Philly, PA, USA, and S Philly being predominately Italian immigrants back in the day, it's fair to say I've had my share of 2nd generation Italian food & Pizza.

Have yet to have better, made by any Italian chefs, here in TH.  Never been to Italy, so can't comment.  But the Italian chefs here that I've sample, most suck.

I've yet to have a foreigner, put out a dish, from any nation, better than a Thai chef.  And I live to eat, not eat to live.

Pizza, for me, it's Philly style, and mirrors NY Style pizza, actually the best tasting value so far in TH, came from Pizza Co, no longer available.   SoHo Pizza (soi 11), Krung Thep, does an excellent version.

Some of the best pasta dishes have been served up by Thai chefs, not Italians.

Hot dogs (on topic as always), yet to find one as good as Hatfield's Beef Franks (old version), here in TH.  Some very nice sausages available here though, as are our homemade sausages.

Yet to have a foreign (non Thai) chef, prepare their national dishes, better than I can at home.  

I don't do hi-end restaurants, and have rarely paid more than 1000 baht for plate of food, so maybe you get what you pay for, but I'm not rolling the dice, as usually disappointed.  I'll simply do it at home, better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NextG said:

Also wrong from the very beginning. You cannot replicate something if you don’t have identical ingredients. That’s just an interpretation. If you grow up with that interpretation, you won’t know any different. 
As to your comment about best pizza from a Thai Ma/Pa shop ☺️ … there endeth the discussion. 

Bangkok has 2 in the top 100.

3 hours ago, NextG said:

You are so used to eating knock offs there, that when you are presented with normal quality items, you think it top shelf. 

Bruce's in Severance Colorado has the best Rocky Mountain Oysters......but I am sure you've already had some from there and claim theirs is the worst and you've had better somewhere else in the world.

I just luv it when I find someone that's continuously trying to knock down the 'top dog'.

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Bruce's in Severance Colorado has the best Rocky Mountain Oysters......but I am sure you've already had some from there and claim theirs is the worst and you've had better somewhere else in the world.

I just luv it when I find someone that's continuously trying to knock down the 'top dog'.

????☺️

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, NextG said:

Makes me laugh when I read Americans thinking their versions are the best… Hot Dogs… German. Hamburgers? Guess where? 

Pizza and burgers, it's not even close.

Hard to get a non-soggy in the middle pizza outside the states. A a proper burger is a mix of cuts, not just ground beef. I'm only good for a hot dog a decade, but most people want the amurrican one.

That said, I just ordered in Dukes, including a hot dog (and onion rings -they are onion ring-gods). Will report back.

Arabic Weeners were once available at Big C. They were great imo, but I don't see them anywhere anymore.

Anyone seen those anywhere.

A lot of any's in this post.

Edited by DD86