Single Entry Tourist Visa problem

Hi.

Hoping for some assistance.

On the Canberra website, for a single entry visa they are asking for proof of booking of place where the traveler will be staying.

We have bookings for the first 3 nights, but the whole idea of tourism is to explore.

Is this a deal breaker or will they issue the visa without proof of booking for the entire trip?

PS: 30 non visa entry is insufficient as trip is for 6 weeks.

thanks

3 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

Hi.

On the Canberra website, for a single entry visa they are asking for proof of booking of place where the traveler will be staying.

We have bookings for the first 3 nights, but the whole idea of tourism is to explore.

Is this a deal breaker or will they issue the visa without proof of booking for the entire trip?

thanks

30 day entry and a 30 day extension would do you

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

30 day entry and a 30 day extension would do you

Getting an extension is a PITA, especially if you are touring - far easier to get a TV60.

OP - apply with that booking, I think that you will be okay. If not there's little lost and the above can be plan B.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

Hi.

thanks

Booking for one night is all I usually show for SETV.

They will be happy with 3 days fur sure.

My last trip was exactly sixty days and I got a visa - far easier to sit on my computer at home for a while than to lose half a day of my holiday travelling to immigration, queueing, maybe not having all of the correct documents, the IO may be having a bad day, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

The issue is that visa exempt entry requires you to enter with a return air ticket for no more than 30 days.

I was told some are asking to see your airticket???

don't need a return ticket, just a flight out, a throwaway or a refundable ticket, or a rent a ticket

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Unlikely that Immigration will, but there's a good chance that the airline does. Asking there might be an option.

Correct.

He is Oz . Good chance he is flying Jetstar and airline will almost certainly want to see onward flight.

Options such as "rent a flight" discussed often.

Some folk don't like that option 

5 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

The issue is that visa exempt entry requires you to enter with a return air ticket for no more than 30 days.

I was told some are asking to see your airticket???

That is a valid concern, but I get the impression that airlines do not usually care when they see you have a return flight ticket booked with them (even if over 30 days later). Having no return (or onward) flight booked at all is another matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I note you say you have bookings for the first 3 nights and you mention travelling - agree with you.  Although I obtain extensions myself, I'm not really a tourist - if I was floating about here and there, I wouldn't want to have to queue at immigration or plan my trip to include a visit to them - they are not always conveniently located. Mine is 100km away!

Throwaway air ticket or real one if you know your return home date and book a hotel or hotels on Booking.com - many are payable at the hotel on arrival and are cancelable up until the day before arrival but you will get a booking confirmation to use with your visa application.  Once you get your visa, cancel the booking and your done.

I just did it week or so ago..my experiece with Los Angeles embassy staff..

1.  I booked a room for 91 days to cover any questions on agoda on a no pay til arrive type rate...got the confimation and sent to them and no question no problem.  Then cancelled res as no idea where i will stay every night.

2.  They asked for departing flight confirmation:  Told them i am departing thailand via land to vietnam so do not have a flight out of thailand....accepted no more questions.

and yes it is a pain in the butt but you will eventually likely get the visa...it is like they go out of their way to ask for stupid stuff like where u stay every night....uh duh i am getting a tourist visa to be a tourist and travel around and decide as i go where i want to stay??

9 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

Hi.

Canberra Embassy require a booking for entire 60 day stay and a return flight to be included in application to be posted to them.

Go to Sydney Consulate site where you apply online and get pre-approval before you post application. No flight or accommodation is required from Sydney (only need to write flights in and out on application form, I made mine up)

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-single-entry

I just got my SETV from Sydney. Took 2 days to get pre-approval after online application, took 7 week-days to get passport stamped but that included 3 Thai public holidays (used express post so 24 hours down and back for postage)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I got a SETV from Canberra last year. I had no onward flight. I included in the application a note explaining that I may extend after 60 days and was unsure when I would be leaving. Accepted, no problem. Passport with visa back in 8 or 9 days most of that being Aus Post

Did you have to provide 60 days accommodation proof as required by their checklist?

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Canberra Embassy require a booking for entire 60 day stay and a return flight to be included in application to be posted to them.

Go to Sydney Consulate site where you apply online and get pre-approval before you post application. No flight or accommodation is required from Sydney (only need to write flights in and out on application form, I made mine up)

I just got my SETV from Sydney. Took 2 days to get pre-approval after online application, took 7 week-days to get passport stamped but that included 3 Thai public holidays (used express post so 24 hours down and back for postage)

When you posted your passport for stamps did you need to include the application form with the photo?

I know you need to upload a copy of the application with photo affixed.

Do you give them Visa Card account details with the upload to pay the $60?

Did the Embassy use registered post to return the passport?

23 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

When you posted your passport for stamps did you need to include the application form with the photo?

I know you need to upload a copy of the application with photo affixed.

Do you give them Visa Card account details with the upload to pay the $60?

Did the Embassy use registered post to return the passport?

You upload scanned visa application with photo, a copy of your passport ID page plus driver's licence front and back to give address. I used Google lens as suggested by the Thai Consulate site, best app I've ever downloaded as don't need printer scanner any more.

When they pre-approve you have to send all documents you scanned, including the photo. Payment must be by Australia Post money order for $60. I sent by A4 size Express post for faster 24 hour delivery and you must include a return envelope in your application (I used small express post envelope that just fits my passport) 

Edited by Pattaya57

6 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I book direct. I provided a short email from my landlady confirming my stay of 60 days at x address. It was legit but could really have come from anyone.

Okay, but better with Sydney Consulate as they don't ask for any accommodation details 

41 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Okay, but better with Sydney Consulate as they don't ask for any accommodation details 

Agreed, was not aware of the Sydney option so thanks for that. As a Brit I included a copy of my Oz ETA instead of drivers licence last year. Hopefully this works in Sydney as well 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

You upload scanned visa application with photo, a copy of your passport ID page plus driver's licence front and back to give address. I used Google lens as suggested by the Thai Consulate site, best app I've ever downloaded as don't need printer scanner any more.

When they pre-approve you have to send all documents you scanned, including the photo. Payment must be by Australia Post money order for $60. I sent by A4 size Express post for faster 24 hour delivery and you must include a return envelope in your application (I used small express post envelope) 

Do they need two documents showing the address?

Isn't the address on the passport copy sufficient?

When they pre-approve do they send an email with a reference number?

Do you include the reference number when you post the documents?

1 minute ago, rockyysdt said:

Do they need two documents showing the address?

Isn't the address on the passport copy sufficient?

When they pre-approve do they send an email with a reference number?

Do you include the reference number when you post the documents?

There is no address on the passport? Not sure if they need address but they ask for 2nd photo ID, so I assumed they wanted both sides of licence.

They send an email with reference number when they pre-approve. They ask you to add reference number to top of application form and to back of money order

1 hour ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I book direct. I provided a short email from my landlady confirming my stay of 60 days at x address. It was legit but could really have come from anyone.

Your situation fits into their mould.

For many tourists, traveling to discover means that you won't know where you'll be or for how long.

Tying yourself to 60 days of pre-booked accommodation would be extremely restrictive (almost like a Chinese package).

Not to mention, shopping around for better accommodation once you're on the ground adds to your experience, not to mention hunting down a condo deal.

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

There is no address on the passport? Not sure if they need address but they ask for 2nd photo ID, so I assumed they wanted both sides of licence.

They send an email with reference number when they pre-approve. They ask you to add reference number to top of application form and to back of money order

Thanks

Your information has been invaluable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, London Lowf said:

My last trip was exactly sixty days and I got a visa - far easier to sit on my computer at home for a while than to lose half a day of my holiday travelling to immigration, queueing, maybe not having all of the correct documents, the IO may be having a bad day, etc.

T'is why God created agents

Far more onerous pizzing about uploading everything but a note from your mum to placate whatever perverse requirements are currently dreamt up

22 minutes ago, Regyai said:

T'is why God created agents

Far more onerous pizzing about uploading everything but a note from your mum to placate whatever perverse requirements are currently dreamt up

It took me less than 5 minutes to google lens everything and complete the online application

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

They send an email with reference number when they pre-approve.

When you post the passport & documents is there a post office box number for the Sydney Embassy or do you post it to their physical address?

Edited by rockyysdt

7 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

When you post the passport & documents is there a post office box number for the Sydney Embassy or do you post it to their physical address?

You post it to the address stated in the email that pre-approves your visa