Wrong-way motorbike accident in Phuket claims renowned artist’s life

snoop1130

collision-1.jpg

A 44 year old man lost his life last night after his motorbike, which he was riding in the wrong direction, collided with a tourist bus. The tragic accident took place on Srisoonthorn Road, Phuket. The bus was transporting people back to their hotels from their expedition to Phuket FantaSea.

News of the crash reached the Thalang Police around 11.40pm yesterday. Lieutenant Colonel Thanyapisit Muangchan, supported by a medical team from Vachira Phuket Hospital and rescue workers from the Kusoldharm Foundation, speedily arrived at the scene of the accident, located near the entrance to the Tawan Place housing estate in Moo 4, Srisoonthorn.

Upon arrival, they discovered a severely damaged Honda Wave motorbike in the right-hand lane of the divided road. Near the accident laid the lifeless body of Chakrapop Thuaisiri, a 53 year old well-regarded artist responsible for decorating a resort in Cherng Talay, reported The Phuket News.

Not far from the crash site, parked by the roadside was the tour bus, marked as a vehicle from the Go Go Bus Co Ltd. Evident signs of the collision could be seen at the front right corner of the bus where the windscreen was also cracked.

By Neill Fronde

Caption: A bus collided with a motorbike, killing a well-known local artist. (via Phuket Times ภูเก็ตไทม์ Facebook)

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/wrong-way-motorbike-accident-in-phuket-claims-renowned-artists-life

--Thaiger 2023-08-16

-- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Typically when motorcycles are going the wrong way they are doing so on the shoulder of the opposing lane.  Which would most likely mean the damage on the bus should be on the left side not the right side.  At least in that photo the bus is crossing over into the other lane.

Hard to say what exactly happened without video.  Obviously there is only one sides story of what occurred.

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Jeez it's bad enough them driving the wrong way, in the left lane, but in the right lane! the wrong way! ????     ???? :crazy::crazy: ???? Darwin award.

There are no lanes... just tarmac with a pavement on either side.

• Thanks 1

I must admit that i too, sometimes ride against the traffic from my soi on Sukhumvit rd to a nearby morning market a ride of a bout 300 meters to save me about 1 km otherwise, BUT, and this is not an excuse, i'm paying super attention as to who's coming at me and stopping at the shoulder of the road just to be safe, Now, i'm expecting those 'confused' emojis to come fast and thick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

There are no lanes... just tarmac with a pavement on either side.

Upon arrival, they discovered a severely damaged Honda Wave motorbike in the right-hand lane of the divided road.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is the view the MC rider had as he drove the wrong way down the dual carriageway . The road off to the right is the entrance road to the "Tawan Place housing estate in Moo 4, Srisoonthorn.":

SIRISOON.png.f6f6190bc14a9638da2623e33b262b73.png

I can see 2 lanes coming this way and 2 lanes, on the other side of the central reservation, heading in the opposite direction.

As I said, lanes, markings, direction of flow mean nothing... just tarmac with a pavement either side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is the view the MC rider had as he drove the wrong way down the dual carriageway . The road off to the right is the entrance road to the "Tawan Place housing estate in Moo 4, Srisoonthorn.":

SIRISOON.png.f6f6190bc14a9638da2623e33b262b73.png

I can see 2 lanes coming this way and 2 lanes, on the other side of the central reservation, heading in the opposite direction.

It seem to me that there is a U turn for M/C only a bit further on, and this bright spark used it in the wrong direction (probably to cross over to the shops IMO)  and the other one is for exiting shops on the left.

Edited by brianthainess

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

I saw the photo... and your point is what?

I do apologise for not realising hotchilli was being facetious and being truthful.

Edited by KannikaP

On 8/16/2023 at 5:18 AM, brianthainess said:

Jeez it's bad enough them driving the wrong way, in the left lane, but in the right lane! the wrong way! ????     ???? :crazy::crazy: ???? Darwin award.

He was 53. There's probably more to the story than him just choosing to play chicken with oncoming traffic

• Confused 2

On 8/16/2023 at 6:28 PM, ezzra said:

I must admit that i too, sometimes ride against the traffic from my soi on Sukhumvit rd to a nearby morning market a ride of a bout 300 meters to save me about 1 km otherwise, BUT, and this is not an excuse, i'm paying super attention as to who's coming at me and stopping at the shoulder of the road just to be safe, Now, i'm expecting those 'confused' emojis to come fast and thick.

Good that you admitted it. The guy in the story must have been doing a similar thing. But he just didnt see something

• Confused 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:28 AM, ezzra said:

Who takes a motorbike for such a short trip? Are you crippled?

Oh wait You are exactly the type to take a motorbike for a less than 1km trip. ???? Without a helmet too. 

Peak coffin-dodger. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

On 8/17/2023 at 12:20 PM, roo860 said:

Well known artist, more like a piss artist to try this maneuver. 

"Well known Artist" in Thai means "Alcoholic guy hired to paint a mural at a hotel that one time, and got a minor social media story / coverage associated with it"

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang