Swede dreams turned sour: Swedish man arrested for overstaying visa in northern Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, rumeaug said:

The original article in The Thaiger states that he would be sentenced to two years in prison and a hefty fine. He would be deported after sentencing. For the prison sentence, I find that truly unnecessary, harsh and exaggerated. Just send him back home and enough...

Deserves 2 years on the basis of stupidity alone.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/17/2023 at 1:21 PM, Celsius said:

In those 3 years he could have followed the simple rules and extend his visa.

Exactly ...what an idiot.

Guys married to Thai have it easy.

I'm jealous as having extension based on retirement the financials are worlds apart. 

If he is so skint cannot put 200k in bank only for two months then can use it.

Perhaps the wife dobbed him in 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

400k.

Are you really jealous of someone based on visa qualification? Shallow to say the least.

You don't follow. 

I keep 800k all year round for immigration purposes.

Extensions marriage are 400k for couple of months only.

Sweet deal.

Point is the article is story about a fool. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't follow. 

Sweet deal.

You don't need to keep your 800k in the bank all year.

In your first post you said 200k for marriage. I corrected you. It's 400k.

Still nothing to be jealous about.

Edited by youreavinalaff

40 minutes ago, bergenser1 said:

I find it strange that anyone thinks that visa violations isn't a big deal in Thailand, and should go unpunished.

If it was any European country throwing out illegals, it would be nothing but applause in the comments.

Over staying.

Or, Gate crashing a country are not the same thing,

like is going on in the uk right now.

Edited by rocketboy2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't follow. 

Sweet deal.

You are looking down on people again, because you have near 20,000 quid in the bank..........????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

You are looking down on people again, because you have near 20,000 quid in the bank..........????

Not looking down at all.

So some farang comes to live in Thailand which has very easy financial requirements for extensions marriage and also a wife and kids ...

And can't even meet those requirements.

Yep a real catch. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You don't need to keep your 800k in the bank all year.

In your first post you said 200k for marriage. I corrected you. It's 400k.

Still nothing to be jealous about.

Geez, the 200k was clearly a typo.

And yes for retirement it's only 800k for 2+3 months.

So again extensions marriage are very easy financial requirement at 400k for only couple of months. 

• Confused 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Not looking down at all.

So some farang comes to live in Thailand which has very easy financial requirements for extensions marriage and also a wife and kids ...

Yep a real catch. 

You see, you are doing it again, his, mine, anybodies financial position they find their self in is nothing to do with you, me, or anybody.

"Yep, a real catch", what the flush has it got to do with you......?   :crying:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, rumeaug said:

The original article in The Thaiger states that he would be sentenced to two years in prison and a hefty fine. He would be deported after sentencing. For the prison sentence, I find that truly unnecessary, harsh and exaggerated. Just send him back home and enough...

It could be that The Thaiger is incorrect unless things have changed Ubonjoe posted

an image listing the various fines and bans for anyone turning up at the airport and for those found by the police

I remember it being B20,000 fine and 5 year ban for 3 year overstay

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez, the 200k was clearly a typo.

And yes for retirement it's only 800k for 2+3 months.

So again extensions marriage are very easy financial requirement at 400k for only couple of months. 

Nothing to be jealous about.

Retirement extensions are far easier to execute. Doesn't make me jealous of those that have them.

"Following an ongoing effort to thwart foreign criminals seeking refuge in Thailand................."

I wonder how many "proper" foreign criminals this ongoing effort has managed to get off the streets rather than the "easy targets"/ overstayers we seem to see almost every day on here?

P.S. Nice to see the "pointing finger" back but in this case it appears to be pointing the wrong way! ????  

Edited by sambum

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You see, you are doing it again, his, mine, anybodies financial position they find their self in is nothing to do with you, me, or anybody.

I don't care for your approval or otherwise.

I will put my opinion out there are you can do the same.

As the saying goes..." Play your own game" 

The guy in the OP is clearly a fool or at best reckless.

Now faces sent home with a ban period.

Will probably start a GoFundMe page. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, rumeaug said:

The article you refer to doesn't say he will be sentenced to two years prison.  Read it again.  It says "up to" which usually means no prison sentence at all.  The Thais want to get rid of this guy, not lock him up for a prison sentence that will then cost them money. 

This guy was in Thailand when the covid extensions were being granted over and over, so unsure why he never took advantage of that.  It was easy to remain in Thailand legally during the covid extension period.

12 hours ago, spermwhale said:

It's actually kind of impressive that he was able to stay that long in Thailand without getting a visa. I mean, he couldn't get a job without a visa. How did he survive without working? What did he do with all his time? 

Ehh let us guess, he could be early retired or working online? You know, with the Internet? Perhaps that's why he carries his little laptop bag too on the picture.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Yes, we send a water taxi to pick them up.

Put them up in a hotels

Give them money.

Give food and clothing. 

All free.

Uk, Taking care of all the world. at it's citizens expense. :angry:

Dont you send them to rwanda ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Not looking down at all.

Yep a real catch. 

What is the logic even, one could have a good jobs but no savings after coming out a divorce, or be married or get children at a very young age, like myself. Then still, even having the money, I did not want to exchange it in the past few years, happy I did not. 

Would costed me near 12000 euro at the time which today is already down to 10.250 euro + I earned 8-12% yearly on it. That is a total of 5600 euro more or less, I made, while now still being able to exchange it. My agent fees over 3 years were +- 2200 euro. I did not even include interest on previous returns in this calculation.

If I keep snowballing the difference, on my age, by the time I get 50-60 years old, the total balance is 5X the original amount. If I do that with 5X 10K euro, we suddenly talk 250-300K.

Also where does you ignorance come from, some of us might also be from eastern european countries, or even Italy, where 700 euro income a month can be normal. In that case 400K baht is a lot of money, knowing you can barely save up on that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, rumeaug said:

If this is confirmed, this means that for the Thai police he is a criminal, so we all potentially are if we don't comply with the rules.

It starts blowing stinky air

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

If this is confirmed, this means that for the Thai police he is a criminal, so we all potentially are if we don't comply with the rules.

It starts blowing stinky air

I think it has always been the case.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Unless he was financially screwed I don't understand why he couldn't get a visa with regards to his children?

I'd guess that he couldn't because he didn't have custody of them.  Having Thai children doesn't necessarily mean that  a visa based on them is an entitlement.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well thats harsh.

My wife is from Isaan, don't think she was indoctrinated from birth to marry a Westerner mainly since both her parents died when she was 12 and moved to the US to live with her uncle

I guess that early programming must have worked in your view, when we met in Singapore at work!

We're pretty much the same age, not fat, and never paid for sex in my life.

Stereotyping folks is so simple and so shallow

I met a Thai girl from Issan on Singapore who asked me at our first meeting that I should take care of her parents, so I think this teaching is well rooted in the young people of Issan or maybe I was just lucky to have eliminated her immediately.