Muay Thai For Old Guys

LaosLover

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Has any oldie here ever used to Muay Thai for fitness or otherwise?

No muay Thai I only watch on Sundays the fights with just the bandage hand fighting. 

These days I have to know my limitations and use my multi gym in my kitchen to exercise.

Have blood pressure equipment.

Have a oxymeter.

Have 3 monthly appointments at our local govt hospital for check ups.

Ride my super sports bike.

Do Archery on my farmland.

Shoot targets on my farmland.

• Like 2

I'm in my early 60's and started working out at home again,  but when I check out gyms in my area, some offered "Muay Thai workout" programs.  I gave it a pass, but I do have a punching bag in my garden that I'll punch & kick around now & again.  Those MT workouts seem like a good way to stay in "fighting" shape.

• Thanks 1

A million years ago, I stayed at a Muay Thai place near the river in Ubon for a week. They had me turning over a giant tire over and over again. Great camaraderie. Def a few Santips at the end of the day.  

These days, I want a/c. My trainer was my guy for my 10 kg loss. If I can double that loss in the next year, life expectancy tables take me out to 92-94.

'Have to give some appreciation to Lacesit who posts here.

He started training past 70 too. Not much advice out there for such late starters. I don't agree with every last thing he says (his war on carrots), but he def helped me out a lot. Khun La was another help.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Would judo be better for that?

Would love a martial art in the mix when I am stronger.

I tried Aikido while in Hua Hin, loved it, but if you're doing that, it pretty much crowds out other exercise. They have it near me at CM Uni. (I think).

I still need to exercise alone until I am sure that I am not a burden on a group.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good effort. Hope I do it too for a long time.

Loved Ong Bak. Sequels less good though fun seeing it in Australia.

I got a few lessons and did it at gym myself but then they got rid of boxing bags to put in a womens gym. Now I do shadow boxing and kicking as part of workout which may look a bit ridiculous sometimes but It gets to muscles not used in other parts of workout.

14 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Good effort. Hope I do it too for a long time.

Loved Ong Bak. Sequels less good though fun seeing it in Australia.

I got a few lessons and did it at gym myself but then they got rid of boxing bags to put in a womens gym. Now I do shadow boxing and kicking as part of workout which may look a bit ridiculous sometimes but It gets to muscles not used in other parts of workout.

I had an Oculus Quest VR headset and they have a boxing game.

So basically, you can shadow box with the VR boxer.

It was pretty cool and a good workout, but the headsets go for 400USD+

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, LaosLover said:

I subscribe to Ahhhnold's daily motivation newsletter. He doesn't sell your name and his advice is pretty good.

In a year, very on and off and finding my way, I lost 10 kilo's. Not fantastic, but I'm fighting both a busted thyroid and Pad Thai availability on tap. Most 70 year olds are putting on 10 kilo's, not losing it.

Just turned 69 and hitting the gym three times a week with a personal trainer for 6 months now. I heard that one or two of the trainers are into muay thai. I did a few years of  tang soo do in my twenties. I'd love to do some but the bruises from being kicked worry me. The pad thai is a weakness of mine as well. They make a good one at Dang Dum on Pattaya Klang.

In that year I'm down 1 or 2 kilos at 72 Kg now for 173 height. I think I'm swapping about a kilo of body fat for muscle every month..

Edited by ozimoron

All you guys seem in great shape at ages between about 65 and 75.

That's great.

That's important, too, and not just for longevity considerations.

I would like to get into better shape.

But I find it too boring.

I would find it far less boring if I could find a woman (40-yo) to exercise with me.

How much would it cost to rent a housewife, or something; but only one physically fit and interested in exercise?

Or, are there any female trainers in my area, I wonder?

What would be the going rate?

Twice a week, 50 minutes per session might be enough.

If I do not begin exercising again, I shall surely reach a point of no return, fairly quickly, because I can already feel it in my bones.

16 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

All you guys seem in great shape at ages between about 65 and 75.

That's great.

That's important, too, and not just for longevity considerations.

I would like to get into better shape.

But I find it too boring.

I would find it far less boring if I could find a woman (40-yo) to exercise with me.

How much would it cost to rent a housewife, or something; but only one physically fit and interested in exercise?

Or, are there any female trainers in my area, I wonder?

Twice a week, 50 minutes per session might be enough.

If I do not begin exercising again, I shall surely reach a point of no return, fairly quickly, because I can already feel it in my bones.

Just walk daily up hills. Muay Thai is overrated and kind of boring  after a few sessions.

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

About 800 baht a pop. I foolishly bought 50 sessions to commit myself, so for me it's 500 baht a session. 6-12 sessions are all you need. After that, he (not many women do this) was more of an accountability partner than a trainer. I still have 20 sessions to use up, hence the Muay Thai try.

My Muay Thai training session was super-basic. I punched forcefully into a big mitt he held up. I lifted my knee hard like I was kneeing someone in the you-know-whats. I held on to a pillar to steady myself for some high kicks. 

Very exhausting, even with breaks, and I am still pretty sore 2 days later. It made me skip a weights day. Still, I'll try again today.

Moderate walking won't do it. You need to be fairly out of breath and sweating a bit, for about 10-20 minutes continuously. Leisurely strolling up a hill is better than nothing, but not doing much for your heart. The golden rule is that if you can carry on a conversation, you're not working hard enough.

This is why my year 1 results were so tepid: What I thought was a strenuous workout was too easy to really progress much. It took me a whole year just to get confident that I wouldn't injure myself.

Still, even with a modest program, you'll def soon get more energy and slightly better posture. Also, you'll sleep like a rock and feel about 15% more positive about everything.

The endorphin effect is real, even after the first hard 10 minutes. I thought it would be more rah-rah, like in a Nike commercial. It's a very subtle low buzz of optimism that lingers throughout the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Moderate walking won't do it. You need to be fairly out of breath and sweating a bit, for about 10-20 minutes continuously. Leisurely strolling up a hill is better than nothing, but not doing much for your heart. The golden rule is that if you can carry on a conversation, you're not working hard enough.

Several years ago, I lived closer to the mountain, and I would do winds sprints, 20 to 30, up and down a fairly long section of the steeper inclines.

But then, I moved away from that more hilly terrain, and I miss that great free gym of mine.

These days, I am thinking I might need to build my own hill of sand in my back garden.

I would need only a few truckloads of sand, and then I would be good to go.

How much might a 100 tons of sand cost in Chiang Mai? (Delivery Costs?)

Here is what I am talking about, and this is about the most effective exercise I know:

One thing though:

I now have the "Front Yard" for this.

All I need is a few truckloads of sand.

And, no need to cut the glass!

What do you guys think?

Would this be a good money-maker for me, on the side?

I could charge the locals for the privilege of climbing my neighborhood hill of sand.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Old people, with poor balance, + steep, uneven steps = crippled old people. Plus, the heat. He should walk on flat terrain in cool weather, have a little sit, and then walk back.

Promise me you'll never become a physical trainer.

It's about choices. I pluck half the crunchy noodles off the top of the Khao Soi. Two desserts, two decent cocktails a week.

At the roof top bar near me, they have a plausible Mango and Sticky Rice Martini. So that would be a two for one for me. Prob have one on Sunday.

But not with a burger and fries. Post-70, I have to pick.

Sunset view of Doi Suthep. We go once a week

https://www.theakyra.com/chiang-mai/dining/akyra-manor-rise-bar/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-rise-chiang-mai

Edited by LaosLover

20 hours ago, bignok said:

Just walk daily up hills. Muay Thai is overrated and kind of boring  after a few sessions.

The most important, is to do something, hill walking, stair climbing, muay thai, swimming, treadmill, rowing, lifting, what gets you going, makes you a champion compared to those who do nothing (else than complaining and those who always knows better) 

• Like 1