Rice prices spike threatens farmers in Thailand

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-08-21-150156.jpg

An increase in rice prices is causing concern for local farmers and rice millers in Uttradit, Thailand. The Agricultural Cooperative of Uttradit City Limited, known for producing and selling the “Good Udom” brand of bagged rice, is currently facing a shortage of husked rice. This crisis is due to large-scale rice millers purchasing at high rates, causing the price of rice to increase substantially.

This price surge is a ripple effect of India’s decision to halt rice exports, causing global rice prices to skyrocket. The current situation is expected to last until the end of this year or early next year.

The manager of the Agricultural Cooperative of Uttradit City Limited, Praphan Mairayong, along with the production and marketing team, inspected the stock of husked rice and bagged rice. At present, the husked rice supply is on a buy-and-sell basis with no stock available. The cooperative has temporarily halted operations and will only mill rice when husked rice is available. They are now only packaging for their regular customers – over 200 stores, as they cannot cater to walk-in customers due to the shortage. Praphan said…

“Currently, our mill is short of husked rice because farmers in Uttradit only have crops in the Pichai district. However, large-scale mill operators from other provinces are buying at high prices, over 12,000 baht per tonne. This has turned into a golden opportunity for our farmers.”

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/uttradit-rice-farmers-face-crisis-due-to-skyrocketing-prices-and-supply-shortage-2

-- Thaiger 2023-08-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes. And why higher rice prices are a concern for rice farmers, who knows... -They will have to think of new ways to spend the higher income??

I am also puzzled about the "threat" to farmers. Surely higher prices are good for them.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The manager of the Agricultural Cooperative of Uttradit City Limited, Praphan Mairayong [snip] said ... This has turned into a golden opportunity for our farmers.”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes. And why higher rice prices are a concern for rice farmers, who knows... -They will have to think of new ways to spend the higher income??

If they are any left, by the time they have paid off all they debts, and this year not a lot a lot of rain, central regen, lower yields, and higher cost to pump water into the rice fields, like the wife's son in law and daughter, and others, are doing. 

And how much will the new government pay the farmers in subsidies, if any. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

That doesn't explain why higher prices are a threat to farmers.

It isn't... if India is cutting back on exports then Thai farmers can sell to millers for the domestic market.
I'm sure Thailand produces enough rice for the home market.

Price rises are pure gouging by the millers

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It isn't... if India is cutting back on exports then Thai farmers can sell to millers for the domestic market.
I'm sure Thailand produces enough rice for the home market.

Price rises are pure gouging by the millers

Which was rather my point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yeah was thinking the very same thing.. Do not see the logic at all.... Rice farmers are stock piling just to await higher prices on their rice, so what do they mean by their writing this newspaper??

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

That doesn't explain why higher prices are a threat to farmers.

Perhaps that can be explained by higher fertiliser costs, higher electrical costs, higher water costs, higher costs from the millers.

I suspect that the rice farmers, as usual will get the short and smelly end of the stick.

I am more concerned about the next generation of rice farmers, if indeed, there IS a next generation.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps that can be explained by higher fertiliser costs, higher electrical costs, higher water costs, higher costs from the millers.

I suspect that the rice farmers, as usual will get the short and smelly end of the stick.

I am more concerned about the next generation of rice farmers, if indeed, there IS a next generation.

There will always be a next generation of rice farmers.

What else could they subsist on?