Death in Thailand, will made for assets abroad ( beneficiaries are Thai )

Aforek

Hello do you know the Thai law for the inheritance of property (money) located abroad? My will, which I had done by a French notary, follows European inheritance law which lets me choose which law to apply, but it is in the case of a death in Europe

For a death in Thailand, does Thai law accept European a succession will, in which I request that French law be applied for assets located in France  ? THANKS

• Confused 1

You need a death certificate, a translation, legalization by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and legalization by your embassy. This goes to the country in question where there should be a will. This will needs to be translated, legalized and sent to Thailand. Then with the help of a local attorney you need to get a court order for the appointment of an heir. The whole process can taker up to 8 months.

Thanks, how do you know this ? 

there is  an other possibility, the " Eu regulation n°650/2012 on international successions " which concerns EU members, but with exceptions which say that the residence can be the origin of the deceased ( France for me ) , not the place of his death and it's written on my international testament , so I don't need Thai law even if I pass away in Thailand  : my notary is competent to deal with this 

Assets are  in a SIN bank.

Willed entirely to my Thai wife.

When she was still my TGFI I went to SIN to have a proper will drafted by a local lawyer, valid in SIN and naming her as sole beneficiary. She is also named as Administrator.

I paid xtra to have the will registered with the SIN authorities.

TGF is now my wife and that will ease up the obtention of the SIN Grant of Probate.

There will be no SIN, TH or Belgium (my nationality) inheritance taxes.  

She'll deal herself with the SIN lawyer to get the Grant an then go to the bank to get the account.

It can be a big mess. I tried to help Thai women to collect inheritance in Sweden. They had lived as "Partners" in Thailand which in Sweden is like a marriage.

He, Swedish man, did proper will at Swedish embassy with two witnesses etc. Everything by the book.

She hired Thai attorney in Bangkok. Gave POA (Power Of Attorney) to take care of process.

He stalled all, blaming Swedish attorney in Stockholm who was his connection and who he had given POA.

I smelled rat and took her to Sweden. The attorneys there didn't let us to see them first. We couldn't even get into office because of electric outside door locks. I waited somebody getting in and used that to get into the office. Secretary was very nice, said "I go to fetch your attorney". I heard heated argument in the back room, she came back and said "I was wrong, she's not in. Please, send an Email and make an appointment."

We left and went to the bank where money was. Her 10 yr old boy had helped to do banking and remembered the bank name. Same there; "We can't give any information or give money because the case in handled by the Swedish attorney."

She never got any documents where assets are and how much. By the Swedish law she must get them.

We contacted Swedish attorney by Email. She said; "We only work with Thai attorney who has POA." We didn't get an appointment.

So she didn't get any money nor assets. Both attorneys blame each other. She gave up and clearly was scared of That attorney "They can do much bad..." she said. I wanted to go and see the s.o.b face to face but she refused.

I believe similar scams are going on all the time! Best to have all assets in Thailand and give them out while alive.

I took it much harder than she. I was hopping mad. Still am.

She said: "Buddha remembers and Karma will take care of them." Wasn't that upset neither...

Edited by GypsyT