Such a shame - My yearly trip to Calif. Cities to avoid

On 9/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, tkramer said:

You are sooo American. Make sure you have the Beach Boys singing 'California Girls'...!

I'm with ya buddy, I grew up in Cali as well...50's-60's...!

Actually I am more Foreigner than Beach Boys.  This inspite  of the fact that I went to Hawthorne High School which is the same school the Boys went to.   I hate to say this but one of few positives was that Charles Shaw wine (2 Buck Chuck) at Trader Joe’s was only $2.99 a bottle.  The cost of everything else was pretty much absurd.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Actually I am more Foreigner than Beach Boys.  This inspite  of the fact that I went to Hawthorne High School which is the same school the Boys went to.   I hate to say this but one of few positives was that Charles Shaw wine (2 Buck Chuck) at Trader Joe’s was only $2.99 a bottle.  The cost of everything else was pretty much absurd.  

Gas is 6.00 gal, figure $200. Nt for hotel, maybe $259. You have to have a well stocked credit card to have a fun time. Already looking forward to my old hum drum life in Thailand

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Gas is 6.00 gal, figure $200. Nt for hotel, maybe $259. You have to have a well stocked credit card to have a fun time. Already looking forward to my old hum drum life in Thailand

I got a deal at an Extended Stay location in Torrance for $128 a night.  It was basic with a kitchen and in a relatively safe area.  I rented a Kia Soul from Hertz at LAX for $60 a day.  If ones does not have a need to be back in the US then i would suggest not going.  

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Big fan of Trader Joe's Wine department and

2-Buck Chuck...

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:05 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I got a deal at an Extended Stay location in Torrance for $128 a night.  It was basic with a kitchen and in a relatively safe area.  I rented a Kia Soul from Hertz at LAX for $60 a day.  If ones does not have a need to be back in the US then i would suggest not going.  

Those prices still make me cringe. We last visited in March 2021. Flight from Japan to US was about $1,000.

We did a 3 week roadtrip in a camper (25 foot). Rented in LA, cost $1800 total. Hit Death Valley, Lost Wages, Valley of Fire State Park,  Natural Bridges National Monument, Monument Valley. Then a southern swing through Petrifed Forest NP, Saguaro NP, down to the southern border to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, then back to LA.

The best of the US is the park system, without question. Gas was max $4.50 in Cali.  Wine, grilled steaks on the barbecue every night, paradise. I shudder th think what it would cost now.

"I got a deal at an Extended Stay location in Torrance for $128 a night.  It was basic with a kitchen and in a relatively safe area.  I rented a Kia Soul from Hertz at LAX for $60 a day.  If ones does not have a need to be back in the US then i would suggest not going."

Thanks!

Those prices helped to decide NOT to go back to LA this year neither... ????

But I go to St G, UT because US banks are holding my CDs hostage. Will release funds only if visiting personally! Yes, I knew it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

US banks are holding my CDs hostage.

While you're visiting back home, buy and activate a UltraMobile PayGo sim so you can have a US mobile number in Thailand for $3/month.  Using WiFi calling/texting should allow you to receive 2FA codes and only pay the fixed monthly charges.

See: https://aseannow.com/topic/1122011-expats-keeping-a-phone-number-in-their-citizenship-country-aka-magicjack-not-working/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GypsyT said:

"I got a deal at an Extended Stay location in Torrance for $128 a night.  It was basic with a kitchen and in a relatively safe area.  I rented a Kia Soul from Hertz at LAX for $60 a day.  If ones does not have a need to be back in the US then i would suggest not going."

Thanks!

Those prices helped to decide NOT to go back to LA this year neither... ????

But I go to St G, UT because US banks are holding my CDs hostage. Will release funds only if visiting personally! Yes, I knew it.

Paid $270/nt in CA weekday today

• Sad 2

My yearly trip to Long Beach GP race used to cost $ 350/3 nights w breakfast.

Now this;

Price € 900
Includes taxes and charges
Good breakfast € 19
- about $ 1050/3 nites w breakfast
- For same $ I get a full month on Jomtien beach. Not luxury but very nice hotel and nice breakfast. And the bonus; Eye candy on the beach.... beats "beached whales" at the L.B.

On 9/30/2023 at 5:50 AM, Hanaguma said:

Those prices still make me cringe. We last visited in March 2021. Flight from Japan to US was about $1,000.

We did a 3 week roadtrip in a camper (25 foot). Rented in LA, cost $1800 total. Hit Death Valley, Lost Wages, Valley of Fire State Park,  Natural Bridges National Monument, Monument Valley. Then a southern swing through Petrifed Forest NP, Saguaro NP, down to the southern border to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, then back to LA.

The best of the US is the park system, without question. Gas was max $4.50 in Cali.  Wine, grilled steaks on the barbecue every night, paradise. I shudder th think what it would cost now.

Driving down the 5 today in CA. Gas is $7.00 at Chevron

On 10/3/2023 at 7:37 PM, GypsyT said:

My yearly trip to Long Beach GP race used to cost $ 350/3 nights w breakfast.

Now this;

Price € 900
Includes taxes and charges
  •  
Good breakfast € 19
- about $ 1050/3 nites w breakfast
- For same $ I get a full month on Jomtien beach. Not luxury but very nice hotel and nice breakfast. And the bonus; Eye candy on the beach.... beats "beached whales" at the L.B.

I won't be doing many more US trips. I can have 5 star hotels in Thailand for the price of just OK rooms here. 

• 6 months later...

If I were visiting CA today, I’d perhaps check out the area between La Jolla and Newport Beach, or the area north of San Francisco. Forget the big cities. I’m pretty sure the whole state hasn’t been ruined, yet.

On 9/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, Hanaguma said:

That would cost on average around $500 a night now if you are careful. Depending on the RV rental maybe more. My friend wanted to do a road trip in the USA as he loves all things American. He asked how much it would cost to do a road trip from NYC to LA over a month. 

he said he was thinking about $100 a night and getting a junker car. I told him that's possible if you live in the car, never enter a city, avoid any national park or paid campground and eat sandwiches you make out of the trunk of your car.